Dangerous

This is a discussion on Dangerous within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Obama Breaks With Gates, Cancels Nuke Program (Effectively begins dismantling of Nuclear Arsenal) The New Republic - The Plank ^ | 12.05.2009 | Michael Crowley ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Dangerous

Obama Breaks With Gates, Cancels Nuke Program (Effectively begins dismantling of Nuclear Arsenal)
    The New Republic - The Plank ^ | 12.05.2009 | Michael Crowley

Obama's new budget plan includes a little-noted sea change in U.S. nuclear policy, and a step towards his vision of a denuclearized world. It provides no funding for the Reliable Replacement Warhead program, created to design a new generation of long-lasting nuclear weapons that don't need to be tested. (The military is worried that a nuclear test moratorium in effect since 1992 might endanger the reliability of an aging US arsenal.) But this spring Obama issued a bold call for a world free of nuclear weapons, and part of that vision entails leading by example. That means halting programs that expand the American nuclear stockpile. For the past two budget years the Democratic Congress has refused to fund the Bush-era program. But Obama's budget kills the National Nuclear Security Administration program once and for all.

"My colleagues just stared at that line," says Joe Cirincione, a longtime nonproliferation expert and president of the Ploughshares Fund. "They had never seen anything like that." Killing the program, he said, was "the first programmatic impact of the new [zero nukes] policy. People have said they want to see more than words, this is the very first action." Here's the relevant language from Obama's budget explaining the thinking behind the move:

In the upcoming year, NNSA will participate in the national debate to lay out a vision for our nationís nuclear security and non-proliferation goals. This vision is based on the reality that nuclear security is not just about warheads and the size of the stockpile. The vision emphasizes that we must increase our focus on nuclear security and transforming the Cold War nuclear weapons complex into a 21st century national security enterprise. We must ensure our evolving strategic posture places the stewardship of our nuclear arsenal, nonproliferation programs, missile defenses, and the international arms control objectives into one comprehensive strategy that protects the American people and our allies.

One particularly interesting angle here: Obama has overruled his secretary of defense, Robert Gates, who has been pushing for months to maintain the warhead program. Last October, Gates warned that

"[t]o be blunt, there is absolutely no way we can maintain a credible deterrent and reduce the number of weapons in our stockpile without resorting to testing our stockpile or pursuing a modernization program."

But even though "modernization" has now been halted, Obama will almost certainly not resume nuclear testing. So one has to presume Gates is not a happy camper on this score.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Is it 4 years later yet? :(
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Has this fool ever heard of MAD...or is he flippin MAD as in LOONY!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Important date...
    20 Jan 2012 (at noon)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Obama has a plan.

He will not stop until the change in this country is final.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It is too late to buy a gun when you have one already pointed at your head.

The same concept applies to nuclear weapons.

Clueless in DC.

I don't get this guy. Does he think that just because he speaks the whole world will listen and then follow? His ego is really getting bigger all the time. Let's just hope Iran, North Korea, Pakistan and India got the "memo".
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Why worry about foreigners destroying American when they have an inside man doing such an effective job of it?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Not only is this dangerous thinking, it is absurd.

This man is dismantling the best country in the history of mankind.
    Last edited by bbernard; May 13th, 2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling error

VIP Member
    hmmm,
    now the question will be....is the mushroom cloud from terrorists or from a sovereign nation

this is irresponsibility at its highest
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

He is so unbelievable, but what really is more unbelievable than that is that so many of us are just watching and we can't do a thing. We are so helpless. I wrote both my congressman and my senator yesterday in support of them voting on something that needs to be fixed. One of them actually told me in a reply that the nation is in such bad shape financially that they can't take time to vote on other issues right now. Needless to say I did write him back and I ask him if our nation is too busy to vote on keeping the morals and laws of God as our nation was founded on, that I wanted to ask him one question.
    My question was "where will he spend eternity?"

I don't get it I really don't. I'v been so nuts all these years thinking that our representatives in Washington really cared about the United States. That is not true. They only care about power. But where is the power if there is No United States????????????

We are creating a nuke free zone. After we put up the Nuke Buster signs at the borders we will all be safe.

Michael

Well, if we disarm ourselves we can trust that China, Russia, the Mideast, Mexico, ... are all civilized and would never resort to violence.

/sarcasm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    We are creating a nuke free zone. After we put up the Nuke Buster signs at the borders we will all be safe.

Michael
    no, gun buster signs won't be legal
    we'll have to put up U.N. authorized 10000.06 signs in reference to the temperature we'll be when we're nuked
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links