It happened yesterday

It happened yesterday

This is a discussion on It happened yesterday within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For the past several months we have had a string of burglaries in our county. They would hit a home, then a couple weeks or ...

Thread: It happened yesterday

It happened yesterday

For the past several months we have had a string of burglaries in our county. They would hit a home, then a couple weeks or even one week later would hit it again. Sometimes this was happening on the same county road 4 or 5 times a day. Several people have been arrested but seems as if it is quite a few different groups doing this.

My son-in-law was a victim and the pulled right up to his front door, kicked the door in removed a 52 in flat screen tv and left. Then yesterday on the same road, a deputy happened to come upon a break in in progress. He happed to pull in the drive when the get away driver had driven up to collect the bgs. They saw that she had been apprehended so they ran before he could get help. Now my question is...

At any given time all day yesterday there were 75 or more LEOs up and down the roads that boxed these guys in, however, you are talking about maybe a county block that is 4 miles wide and deep.
    If you had been in the "LEO" zone, would you have returned to your house with the knowledge they may have broken into your house to hide or would you have stayed out of the area for the next 7 or so hours. If so how would you have secured your home from the point of enterying your house.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    At first I thought, if family or friends were there yes, if nothing but stuff no. Then I thought, when did the crooks publish when they were going to leave, I only know when the cops leave. Not the crooks. Also I realized its my house, Im not going to cave, cower, or run.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    "Securing" my house? Not a good idea at all. When I return home anytime I check for signs of forced entry -- if I sense intruders inside I will back off and call police.

Police who clear buildings have a dangerous job, and they do it with armor and well thought out tactics (not to mention numbers). This is one area where the armed citizen is at a distinct disadvantage.
    Last edited by HotGuns; May 16th, 2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: langauge workaround
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I would have gone home. Everyone s situation is different though. In my case ,I would check all outside entrances, then proceed from there. I also have a very aggressive dog that isn't letting anyone in or near the house. If I don't see or hear him upon my arrival I'd know that something was seriously wrong.

I would not have a problem going home. Criminals may make me take some precautions but they aren't going to keep me from living my life.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My first concern is family safety. If my family is in the house being broken into there is no power on earth that will keep me from going to the house and entering it as cautiously as possible. I'd never intend to hurt anyone for any reason but a criminal can foist some unpleasant choices upon the most peaceful of persons; and I can tell you that I won't have to deliberate for very long given the choice between a criminal and a family member.

As far as preventing entry, every window in your house is an entry point. We bolt out doors but that thin pane of glass provides one and all with quick admission to our home. This is where a big dog comes in handy. What a glass window will let into a house, a big dog might keep out. If you can't be there, Fido will be on duty. We have three medium sized dogs of questionable utility. They might or might not do their duty but for certain they will bark to deafening extremes at the sight of a stranger.

If LEO's showed up and ordered us to evacuate you cannot say "no". If you want to say "no" then the trick is to never answer the door but once you do your eviction is in play. Of course my preference would be to stay home, armed as usual doing what I always do.

Our home is our castle, and I WILL protect it. Just because some BG's are loose in the area is no reason to leave and have to return later.
    I'll let the cops do their jobs, and I'll watch the homefront.

How would I protect it? Well, I'm armed all the time anyway. The coach gun (with 12ga 00buck) is close by, and the early warning system (Rhodesian Ridgeback) is either sleeping on the couch or in the yard by the back door. He lets us know of movement around the house and his eyesight is 100%.

Stay armed...whatever happen, happens...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Police who clear buildings have a dangerous job, and they do it with armor and well thought out tactics (not to mention numbers). This is one area where the armed citizen is at a distinct disadvantage

Not always.

With just a little bit of training a homeowner could do the job better than an LEO for the simple fact that the homeowner knows the lay of house better than an LEO that has never been there.

In our neck of the woods, there might be ONE LEO on duty...two if you are lucky and three if you hit the jackpot.

I dont consider armor being an advantage. I'd rather not have to get shot and have to consider how well it worked.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Personally, I believe we all have that sixth sense, when we feel something isn’t right. More so for folks that carry, been in LE, or in combat. Still, any of us can be caught off guard at some point and that’s just life. Of course, I also have dogs that I can hear as I approach any door to my house.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Not always.

With just a little bit of training a homeowner could do the job better than an LEO for the simple fact that the homeowner knows the lay of house better than an LEO that has never been there.

In our neck of the woods, there might be ONE LEO on duty...two if you are lucky and three if you hit the jackpot.

I dont consider armor being an advantage. I'd rather not have to get shot and have to consider how well it worked.
    Well, I won't argue with you on this one, other than to say: If you see signs of forced entry, do you just waltz in the front door (armed or not?). Seems like a bad plan. Better (if no family around) to get back and watch for them to exit, perhaps engaging them at that time, while police are on the way...

Actually you may NOT see signs, and yet someone is inside. When I come home, I am always alert for this, usually with gun drawn. We do NOT live in a "bad" part of town at all, but that is no reason not to be alert.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Well the driver was arrested and 3 more, one got away. I'm sure his friends will be rolling over on him shortly. This is the 4th or 5th group of thugs to be arrested in about 2 months. It will only get worse as we are in the top 5 states with unemployment and our county is like the second highest rate in the state. Sooner or later someone is going to be at home when they break in and someone will die. I just hope that the one they find at home is waiting for them with a gun and the one that dies will be the bg.

This is headlines on the news tonight . Different county, different break ends but certainly what is happening all over the state and i'm sure a lot more states in this of economic problems.

VideoFive charged in assault, robberies
    On The WebNC Wanted: Read More Crime News or Report a Tip
    Site Search
    Five arrested for Wake County robberies

Posted: Today at 10:09 a.m.
    Updated: Today at 9:14 p.m.

Garner, N.C. — Wake County sheriff’s deputies have charged five men they allege worked together in two Friday night robberies.

The first incident took place at 5839 Fayetteville Road in Raleigh. Zachary Ira Prince, 20, said he was watching television with two friends at around 9 p.m when three men wearing red bandannas broke down the door.

When Prince ran to get his gun, he said, his two friends hid in a closet. Prince said the intruders held him and the women at gunpoint before fleeing with cash and his gun.

WATCH VIDEO
    Five charged in assault, robberies

Police said two of the victims sustained minor injuries.

About 90 minutes later, arrest warrants indicate that the men attempted to rob Sean Dane Mickens Jr., 18, at his home on Bitternut Lane in Garner. One of the intruders hit Mickens in the head with a handgun.

Mickens’ mother, Lavonne Johnson, called 911 after hearing gun shots.

“All I could see was my son bleeding and landing in the middle of the …kitchen floor in a pool of blood,” Johnson said.

Deputies set up a search in the area after the break-in was reported, and briefly blocked off a portion of Jones Sausage Road Friday night.

Deputies later caught up with the suspects driving Ford Crown Victoria.

The five men face multiple burglary, assault, kidnapping and weapons charges.

Perry Antonio Brown II, 19, Tyrone Gerard Wright, 23, and Alfonso James Knight Jr., 19, Derrick Rashad Daniels, 21, and Dominic Cortez Lottie, 19, are charged with kidnapping, assault with a deadly weapon, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, assault with intent to kill, first-degree burglary and armed robbery.

The suspects were jailed Saturday morning in Wake County. All of the suspects, except Daniels, are being held held on a $761,000 bond.

Daniels, of Moore County, is a suspect in a third robbery earlier this week.

According to the warrant for his arrest, Daniels forced his way into the home of some acquaintances at 1033 Lenoxplace Circle in Raleigh Monday and took $50 in cash and a computer. Garner Sgt. Chris Clayton said Daniels had been staying at the apartment, and when residents refused him entry he broke in.

Daniels faces three counts of second-degree burglary, three counts of assault with deadly weapon with intent to kill, two counts of first degree burglary, one count attempted robbery with dangerous weapon, one count of conspiracy, one count of felony larceny, three counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of carrying concealed gun.

He was being held on $766,000 bond.

ime in our country.

I would have asked one of the LEO's to help clear the house. If that failed or they were unwilling.... then I would have had my short double barrel shotgun in hand, and handgun on hip... and cleared it.... advising them if they hear gun shots or get a call, then I've found them.

Sponsored Links