L.I. driver held in rage death tried 911 for help

This is a discussion on L.I. driver held in rage death tried 911 for help within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; By TAYLOR K. VECSEY and ADAM NICHOLS CUFFED: Evan Potts (right) yesterday is taken from Long Beach police HQ in the mow-down death of Ian ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L.I. driver held in rage death tried 911 for help

By TAYLOR K. VECSEY and ADAM NICHOLS

CUFFED: Evan Potts (right) yesterday is taken from Long Beach police HQ in the mow-down death of Ian Sharinn (left).

A panicked driver accused of killing a livid foe in a horrific road-rage incident was slapped with a manslaughter charge yesterday.
    "I'll see you guys when I get out," a shocked Evan Potts told his buddies as cops walked him from Long Beach, LI, police headquarters to a waiting cruiser.
    Potts, 22, of from Oceanside, LI, is accused of hitting and killing a 6-foot-5 Porsche driver in a fit of panic after Potts was chased through the streets of Long Beach.
    Witnesses described seeing the victim blocking Potts' car and battering it while yelling obscenities.
    The Queens College student lurched forward, crushing the man under his wheels before driving off, cops said. His car was stopped by witnesses 250 feet away.
    "It's clear . . . that, at the very least, this was an act of panic," said Potts' lawyer, Stanley Kopilow.
    "This was a tragedy that was fueled by unreasonable anger on the part of the deceased and panic on behalf of my client."
    Potts pleaded not guilty to manslaughter and was held on $5 million bond.
    The victim was identified by his family as Ian Sharinn, 34, an engineer from Long Beach. He had been on his way to close on a home he'd bought, said sister-in-law Debbie Sharinn.
    "He was a wonderful, wonderful person," she said. "He lived his life with spontaneity, and this animal just took his life and ended it all."
    Cops said the confrontation started at 10 a.m. Friday when Sharinn climbed out of his Porsche and yelled at Potts, who was driving a Nissan Altima.
    Potts drove off, but the Porsche driver leaped back into his car, sped through a red light and blocked the Nissan.
    Detective Lt. John Azzata said investigators believe Potts tried to reverse as Sharinn yelled at him, but had his path blocked by an SUV.
    Instead, he went forward and ran over Sharinn, said Azzata.

How many times have we stated the a vehicle is more deadly than a gun.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    How many times have we stated the a vehicle is more deadly than a gun.
    As often as we hear stupid family members make statements like these.

The victim was identified by his family as Ian Sharinn, 34, an engineer from Long Beach. He had been on his way to close on a home he'd bought, said sister-in-law Debbie Sharinn.
    "He was a wonderful, wonderful person," she said. "He lived his life with spontaneity, and this animal just took his life and ended it all."
    Put me on the jury, I'll vote "not guilty". Person gets out of their vehicle yelling, you drive off and they chase you down and box you in. Sorry the guy got what he was asking for.

If I was on the jury Mr. Potts would walk if whats in the story is true.
    The aggressor is responsible for the outcome.

Michael

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and if witnesses say that Sharinn was in position that he posed a thread to Potts.

If Sharinn had survived I think he might have a different stance on chasing someone else down and cutting them off the next time. He blew his chance to let it go.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I can hardly wait for Nancy Pelosi and B. Franks to push for a bill outlawing Nissan’s.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

What is it with people and traffic?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Road rage on Long island..NO WAY!!!! RIGHT !!!!

Here is where being ARMED might have given the individual an option other than using the car as a weapon. A simple brandishing followed by a LOUD.."I'm calling the Police"might have turned out better for BOTH parties. As a former Long Islander(who had a gun because of my LEO status)I can tell you there are alot of knockleheads who like to jumo out of their cars and be tough guys. The dead dope should NOT have continued the confrontation.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Sounds to me he was tried under the influense of "feelings" instead of logic and facts....though...he should NOT have tried to drive away DUH!!. I think that action doomed him.

I would like to see what a Nissan could do to a Porsche that was blocking your lane.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    I would like to see what a Nissan could do to a Porsche that was blocking your lane.
    The other paper reported that the Nissan was a rental car. I know my rental customers would have blasted the Porsche with my rental car.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Especially if it happened to be a black assault Nissan they should be banned. Where is Pelosi when we need her ...........
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    What is it with Road Rage?

Granted, it sucks that one person died and another may lose his freedom, but honestly -- why follow someone to continue escalating an argument when the other party tried to leave? And why mow someone down with your car? Especially a rental? Even if someone took a baseball bat to my Ferarri Enzo (hey, it's my fantasy world here for a moment, just go with it ) I wouldn't freaking mow them down! Whether I was armed or not.

This is just sheer stupidity. And now everyone involved in paying the price when they could have taken a deep breath, swallowed their egos, and went on their merry ways, don't you think?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Especially if it happened to be a black assault Nissan they should be banned. Where is Pelosi when we need her ...........

HA HA HA HA.. now that is funny.. Being the Porsche caught up to the "Assault Nissan" we need to make sure that there banned as well,...
    AND ------> Anything that resembles an "Assault Nissan or Porsche" should be put on that banned list as well.. People don't just drive these cars, they're out to kill people with them,.. Why else would they own one now????

VIP Member
    Sounds like no crime was committed by the Nissan driver except perhaps leaving the scene. At 6 foot 5 and in a rage, any reasonable person would think they were in danger of their life. Something is upside down here. Bond is out of sight for the circumstances. 5M for manslaughter when it usually doesn't even get that high for murder 1? Either there is more to the story or the guy in the Nissan is getting the works for some hidden (corrupt) reason we don't know about--like the Porche driver being related to arresting officer, DA, or judge; family using their money and influence to corrupt the process?

Hitch K, you LI guys need a new DA.

VIP Member
    More on the case. First report didn't say anything about Potts calling 911 for help before he ran over the man attempting to assault him.

Long Island man charged in fatal road rage held on $5M bond

Long Island man charged in fatal road rage held on $5M bond
    BY Samuel Goldsmith and Larry Mcshane
    DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Updated Saturday, May 16th 2009, 12:52 PM

Porsche owner run over in deadly L.I. road rage
    A panicked Long Island man charged in a road-rage killing dialed 911 for help before running down an enraged Porsche driver blocking his escape, police said Saturday.

Evan Potts, 22, was held on $5 million bond after being arraigned on a manslaughter rap in the death of Ian Sharinn, 34.

Pott's uncle, Michael November, told the Daily News he was a "good kid" and as much a victim as the man crushed beneath his lurching rental car.

"Nobody deserves to die," said November, 45, of Boca Raton, Fla. "But [the other driver] caused this situation. He put himself in front of the car."

The suspect stood silently as his mother, Amy, wept during a brief arraignment. His lawyer promised to appeal the staggering bail order - $500,000 cash or $5 million bond.

"This is a tragedy - a tragedy that was fueled by rage on the part of the victim and panic on the part of my client," said defense attorney Stanley Kopilow.

The dead man's sister-in-law, Debbie Sharinn, had angry words for Potts.

She described the victim, who lived in Lloyd Harbor, as an athletic engineer who enjoyed mountain biking and volleyball. His funeral was set for this afternoon.

"He lived life with spontaneity," she said. "And then some animal just killed him."

The clash happened around 10 a.m. Friday in Long Beach when the two motorists exchanged angry words.

As Potts made a U-turn to get away, Sharinn ran a red light, blocked his way and jumped out, witnesses and police said.

Sharinn, a well-built 6-foot-5, began pounding on Potts' Nissan Altima, a witness said.

While no one heard a direct threat toward Potts, "There were some vulgarities that witnesses heard," Nassau County police Detective John Azzata said.

He confirmed that Potts, of Oceanside, dialed 911. He tried to back up and escape, but was pinned by a vehicle behind him.

He ran Sharinn down when he shifted the car into drive, authorities said.

Sharinn had three convictions on his driving record: for using a cell phone, improper signal and following a car too closely.

Potts has a 2007 conviction for trespassing and marijuana possession and had been cited in the past for driving in the wrong direction.

Wearing a black T-shirt, shorts and handcuffs, Potts was taken from the courthouse to the Nassau County jail pending a Tuesday hearing.

"Hang in there!" his mother shouted. "You'll be okay!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links