Teen shot to death at McDonald's drive-through

This is a discussion on Teen shot to death at McDonald's drive-through within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I doubt this was random. He was running with the wrong crowd, and it occurred in a rough part of town. A family picture of ...

Thread: Teen shot to death at McDonald's drive-through

I doubt this was random. He was running with the wrong crowd, and it occurred in a rough part of town.

A family picture of him included in the article shows him posing with a gun in each hand.

Just posting to show it can and does happen, and to highlight the need for us to be aware of the possibilities.

One final note was an officer was close enough to hear the shots, and came running, but it was obviously too late to help.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...0?OpenDocument

Teen shot to death outside McDonald's restaurant

FRIDAY, MAY 15 2009 -- A teen-ager was shot Thursday night at a drive-through at this McDonald's near the corner of Lucas and Hunt and Pasadena roads in the city of Northwoods. (Emily Rasinski/P-D)

By Kim Bell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    05/15/2009

UPDATED, 12:30 p.m., with information from Northwoods police chief, new court information, photo of victim and interviews with relatives.

NORTHWOODS -- Police have identified the teen-ager shot to death last night at a McDonald's restaurant drive-through in north St. Louis County.

The victim is Timothy A. Cherry Jr., 19, of the 5900 block of Drury Lane in St. Louis.

Police say Cherry was in the driver's seat of a PT Cruiser that stopped about 10 p.m. Thursday at the McDonald's, 3860 Lucas and Hunt Road in Northwoods. Two other males and a female were in the car with Cherry.

Someone fired shots into the car, hitting Cherry and one of the male passengers.

Cherry somehow managed to drive off, trying to flee the gunman. The car crossed Lucas and Hunt, headed west along Pasadena Boulevard and crashed and overturned three blocks from the McDonald's. Cherry died at the scene.

Timothy Cherry (Family photo)

The passenger who was shot and the other two people in the car were all taken to an area hospital. Police characterized their injuries as non-life threatening. Police are withholding the names of the injured passengers.

An autopsy on Cherry will be performed today.

Northwoods police have asked the St. Louis County Police Department to handle the investigation.

As of this morning, no arrests had been made. Police spokesman Rick Eckhard said investigators also don't know a motive for the shooting.

Cherry's uncle, Guy Chesser, said Cherry had been driving a car that belonged to the mother of a backseat passenger, the man who was shot in the chest. Chesser said that passenger had recently gotten out of jail.

"We warned him about his friends," Chesser said.

Chesser said the female passenger called him today to tell him what happened. She said the four friends had gone into the McDonald's restaurant to order their food and noticed a worker who they'd had run-ins with in the past. The restaurant was so busy, they left to order from the drive-through and were ambushed in the car a few minutes later, Chesser said.

Another uncle, Jerry Lewis, said: "It's crazy. Too many young kids not even making it to 20 years old."

In April, Cherry pleaded guilty in St. Louis Circuit Court to a charge of unlawful use of a weapon. He was put on two years' probation, court records show.

Cherry dropped out of school, but Lewis and Chesser said they helped convince him to return. They say he was to graduate later this month. Lewis got him interested in trade school, and Cherry told his uncles he would try to become a heating and cooling technician. He lived with his mother, grandmother and Chesser at the home on Drury, not far from Calvary Cemetery in north St. Louis.

"We struggled with him and tried to get him back on track," Chesser said. "He was coming out of school this year."

Northwoods Police Chief Earl Heitzenroeder said police in his city have been called to the McDonald's before for an occasional fistfight or other trouble with teens congregating.

"It's not a persistent problem," he said.

Heitzenroeder said of Thursday's shooting: "It's an isolated deal, and we're hoping it's over."

Heitzenroeder said the McDonald's does not have security officers -- "there's really not a need for that," he added. But the restaurant does have surveillance cameras, although Heitzenroeder didn't know if the murder was captured on tape.

The first Northwoods police officer on the scene had been patrolling nearby and rushed to the McDonald's after hearing the shots, Heitzenroeder said.

kbell@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8115

I wonder if it was the employee that they had a run in with inside that did this?

VIP Member
    Sounds like something that was on the road to for some time. It appears someone got him before he killed someone himself.

I don't see any guns in his hands in the photo. Just him holding up his hands with clinched fist. Looking at his fingers in the picture they are too close to the palm to have the butt of a weapon in them.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I don't see any guns in his hands in the photo. Just him holding up his hands with clinched fist. Looking at his fingers in the picture they are too close to the palm to have the butt of a weapon in them.
    Just for lack of anything better to do I saved the picture and magnified it. It has been photoshopped. If you blow it waaaay up and look just above the hands you can see the edit.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Live by the sword; die by the sword...and he did!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There's a reason why the 15-19 segment, supposedly banned from having handguns and other types of weaponry, is still one of most frequent to show up in violent death reports (among all weapon categories). Kids get mixed in with the wrong crowd, and after a certain time, that's it. They're locked in there with their mindset, and unless someone makes them see the light, chances are they'll end up dead before 30 in some violent way on a dark street somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Just for lack of anything better to do I saved the picture and magnified it. It has been photoshopped. If you blow it waaaay up and look just above the hands you can see the edit.
    Good observations by both of you.

It appears I owe the young man's family a public retraction for me misrepresenting what the picture showed. Regardless of whether the original photo showed guns, the photo released to the media did not.

I could give a litany of excuses, but the bottom line is I did not see what I thought I saw. I apologize to the family for my mischaracterization and misrepresentation.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Good observations by both of you.

It appears I owe the young man's family a public retraction for me misrepresenting what the picture showed. Regardless of whether the original photo showed guns, the photo released to the media did not.

I could give a litany of excuses, but the bottom line is I did not see what I thought I saw. I apologize to the family for my mischaracterization and misrepresentation.
    Actually Grady I would not be surprised one bit if they went back and did the edit after you originally saw the picture.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Sponsored Links