Followup: Firefighter shot 7 times interrupting burglary at his home

This is a discussion on Followup: Firefighter shot 7 times interrupting burglary at his home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Posted previously, now the followup: 05/06/2009 - Shot by burglar, St. Louis firefighter faces a new fight - STLtoday.com Interesting comment from him that I ...

Thread: Followup: Firefighter shot 7 times interrupting burglary at his home

Posted previously, now the followup:

05/06/2009 - Shot by burglar, St. Louis firefighter faces a new fight - STLtoday.com

Interesting comment from him that I bolded.

Shot by burglar, St. Louis firefighter faces a new fight

April 30 2009 -"When I want to go faster, I use the wheelchair. I get to make the call," said Cassandra Strong, who decided a trip to Home Depot Thursday for new bathroom fixtures might benefit from the use of some speed. Cassandra is the wife of Ernest Strong, the St. Louis firefighter who was shot seven times when he interrupted a burglary at his home in February. (Laurie Skrivan/P-D)By Leah Thorsen

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    05/06/2009

Ernest Strong was 44 when he passed the test to become a firefighter in the city of St. Louis. He remembers being the oldest guy in the class.

His classmates dubbed him "Murtaugh," for the aging detective played by Danny Glover in the "Lethal Weapon" movies.

It didn't bother him. It was 1999, and he was in great shape. He didn't flinch when it came time to see if he had the stamina to keep up with younger classmates. He heaved a sledgehammer, threw hoses out of a window and navigated a 10-story tall tower while wearing a 40-pound tank. He passed.

He'd been a corrections officer in the city's workhouse for five years. He'd served in Iraq for six months during the Persian Gulf War, as a combat engineer whose duties included setting up landmines.

And he'd worked as a maintenance man at a J.C. Penney store in Northwest Plaza, making $5 an hour to support his wife and five children.

Hard work didn't scare him. Not much did — until Feb. 11. That's the day, police say, that Strong was shot when he interrupted a burglary at his home. His recovery has been long, painful and too slow for Strong.

For now, he needs a walker to navigate his home, and even a handshake requires too much strength. But he wants to return to the job he loved, even though he knows it isn't going to be easy.

TWO CHARGED IN ATTACK

Strong was off duty on the day that changed his life. He and his wife, Cassandra, shared a quick lunch at a McDonald's on her break. She went back to work. He drove back to their home of about 14 years, in the 900 block of Beach Avenue. A car he didn't recognize was parked in the driveway.

He called police and then his wife. A scuffle ensued, and that's about all Strong wants to say about the "incident with those thugs," so he doesn't jeopardize pending court cases. MORE METRO
    Get news, columns, photos and multimedia from the St. Louis area

Moments after the confrontation, seven bullets had pierced his body. His wife made it home in time to see him surrounded by police and firefighters working to save his life.

"My husband was face-down in a puddle of rain," she recalled.

Terrence Hendrickson, 22, and Demar Cotton, 19, have been charged with the shooting, which police say happened when Strong interrupted them burglarizing his home.

Both await trial on charges of first-degree assault, burglary, third-degree assault and armed criminal action. Strong's daughter, 28, who is developmentally disabled and lives at home, was in the house at the time and was struck, police said.

"Someone used a gun on me," Ernest Strong said. "I can't get that out of my mind, that someone wanted to take my life."

So now, the man who once dragged a 200-pound mannequin a distance of 10 feet to show that he was as tough as men half his age uses a walker to get around his house.

He returned home on April 24 after spending about a month in the hospital and several more weeks in a rehabilitation center.

"His body will never be the same," Cassandra Strong said.

The bullets left small, circular scars on his upper chest. He has undergone surgery nine times. One of the bullets hit him in the upper spine. Two metal rods in his neck are the reason he can hold his head up. His windpipe, esophagus and liver also were damaged. He suffered blood clots in his legs and has nerve damage.

He had to relearn the muscle motions needed to feed and dress himself. He picked up blocks to firm up his grip.

For more than two months, he wore a special neck collar. He got to take that off last Wednesday, he said.

Strong admits that his condition is frustrating. But he believes God has carried him this far and will keep carrying him. Cassandra Strong says the same. But neither of them focus on that. Instead, they talk about the days ahead of them.

"I'm not bitter," Ernest Strong said. "I've already turned the page, because what can the past do for me?"

Strong may not be bitter, but he is angry at what he sees happening in his neighborhood and his city.

He grew up in St. Louis and graduated from Soldan High School in 1974. Things weren't perfect then, Strong said. But they weren't like they are now. He sees too many young people with guns, and he would like to see police do more sweeps to get them off the streets.

"I've never approved of guns or what they could do to people," he said.

But now, he's considering buying one.

He says too many young people aren't getting the guidance they need from their parents. And he resents that he was shot by people at his home and who were stealing from him.

"I didn't grow up rich," he said. "But I never took anything from anyone. I worked for everything."

Strong turned 54 earlier last month. He and his family are trying to get their lives back to normal — backyard grilling, karaoke and going to the movies.

He goes to rehab about three days a week and is nearly 40 pounds lighter than that day in February.

Back then, he was a firefighter stationed at the airport. He'd been there about a year.

Capt. Bob Keuss, a Fire Department spokesman, said everyone at the department wants to see Strong heal and return. "There's nothing that we'd love more than to have Ernest Strong back on the job."

Strong and his wife have been overwhelmed at the outpouring of support from colleagues. He said Chief Dennis Jenkerson sent an ambulance to pick him up from the hospital on his birthday April 12, which was Easter, so he could share a meal with his family. And he's grateful for the fundraisers by the Firefighters' Institute for Racial Equality, a fraternal organization to which many black firefighters, including Strong, belong.

The group raised about $6,000 standing outside two dance clubs last month to collect donations, said Capt. Abram Pruitt Jr., the organization's chairman.

"He's one of our own, so we want to help him get through this time," he said.

Firefighters also have been donating sick time, Pruitt said, and more fundraisers are expected.

Strong wants to return to the way he was before he was shot, but he knows he has a long way to go.

"I was taken out in February," he said. "I'd like to return next February."

This is just sad all the way around.
    They even shot his daughter too.

Jeebus. :(

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I hope he makes it back to the job by February, although from the story it doesn't seem likely.

I really hope the two thugs get to spend the rest of their days in the pokey.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I was reading and started thinking "stupid, don't go in the house", then saw the part about his daughter being in there. I would be doing the same thing.

Only thankfully I've learned to protect myself and my family without a painful tragic lesson. I pray for a quick recovery and that the two punks get what's coming to them.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    If his daughter has a mental disability,and she was shot,these two thugs can be charged with much more.I guess their mom's will say they are good guys.

Sad story...and even worse...

But now, he's considering buying one."

It took this, for an 'anti' to change to a pro...had he been a pro, perhaps two more scumbags could have immediately had their day in court and sentence (all at once)...

Stay armed...even when going home...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Such is the price of denial. If a strong, locked door had stood between his daughter and the BG's, and if he had been armed, things could have turned out differently.

But now, he's considering buying one.
    Criminals don't await our approval for attacking us. They only await our naivete and disbelief in the possibility they might do so.

Thankfully, this poor guy is learning how vital and simple that lesson can be.

Though, I would almost certainly head into the house, as well, if I knew family were being held at the mercy of such animals.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

When something like this happens it usually converts the victim to pro gun . Too bad he wasn't converted sooner.

Sad that such things happen, especially to such hardworking and honest people. Ugh! It just really peeves me off how some people think they can just do whatever they please to others and get away with it.

He says too many young people aren't getting the guidance they need from their parents. And he resents that he was shot by people at his home and who were stealing from him.

"I didn't grow up rich," he said. "But I never took anything from anyone. I worked for everything."This seems to be the norm and getting worse that the younger generations are failing to see the importance of being raised by parents that care and really missing the good things that life has to offer. They want to make a lot of money and have material things, but you have to start at the bottom.

I have been working 80 hours a week for almost 2 months and 64 hour since Jan 08....I do it to get ahead and take care of what I need. I get asked if I'm nuts, and I look at people that refuse to work and commit crimes and think, no, I was taught that the only way to get what you want is to work for it. If you fail, its all on you and no one else. Hope Mr. Strong returns to his job. Nothing worse than giving up something you truly like to do. These are the kind of folks that I am proud of, he was not afraid to work any job regardless of pay to support his family.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Links