Crime in NY?? No way.

Crime in NY?? No way.

This is a discussion on Crime in NY?? No way. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Violent Crime Wave Jolts Trendy Downtown VIOLENT CRIME WAVE JOLTS TRENDY DOWNTOWN Downtown Manhattan, the city's party mecca, has been hit by an alarming spike ...

Thread: Crime in NY?? No way.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Crime in NY?? No way.

Violent Crime Wave Jolts Trendy Downtown

VIOLENT CRIME WAVE JOLTS TRENDY DOWNTOWN

Downtown Manhattan, the city's party mecca, has been hit by an alarming spike in vicious street violence.

Assaults in Greenwich Village lead the frightening upturn, with a whopping 43 percent increase so far this year compared with the same period in 2008.

"I've never seen it like this before -- never, ever," said G. Simon Chafik, a female photographer who has lived in Manhattan for 15 years.

"I'm a big New Yorker. New York is one of the safest cities. [But] I'm beginning to question that."

Other hot Manhattan neighborhoods tainted by the crime wave include TriBeCa, with a nearly 17 percent jump, and Gramercy, which has seen a 24 percent increase in assaults.

The danger zones also include the East Village from East 14th Street to Houston Street and the East River to Broadway, which has seen a 27.7 percent rise, from 47 to 60 assaults.

The Lower East Side has experienced a whopping 30 percent hike in assaults.

One area appearing to buck the trend is Chelsea, which has recorded a 17 percent drop in such attacks.

Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne attributed the crime jump largely to the neighborhoods' huge restaurant and bar scenes, which attract large numbers of late-night revelers.

He said the NYPD was addressing the issue with beefed-up police presence and additional undercover officers.

Residents say the recent violence in the popular West Village is particularly frightening because it had been so rare.

"I feel anxious -- there are muggings on my block," said writer Warren Ransom, 50.

The victims even include cops. One case involved a vicious anti-gay attack on an off-duty NYPD officer.

An eight-year veteran police officer needed six stitches to close a head wound after Andrew Klein, 31, allegedly accosted him while the cop was walking with a woman on West 14th Street near Sixth Avenue at 5:30 a.m. Friday.

The victim identified himself as a cop, and Klein retorted, "I don't give a - - - -," according to court documents.

A day earlier, a man from Buffalo was brutally beaten and left unconscious at a Greenwich Village intersection by four young thugs, one of whom proudly declared, "I hit him good."

Klein's lawyer, Daniel Kron, told The Post that his client was merely involved in a fight and did not know the other man was a cop.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    This is startling. Having lived there fairly recently, my experiences showed the city was fairly safe. I wonder why the sudden uptick?

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    This is startling. Having lived there fairly recently, my experiences showed the city was fairly safe. I wonder why the sudden uptick?
    Can you say "Recession" people are out of work, money is tight, stealing is profitable. NYC is open since no law-abiding citizen would carry a handgun. Bloomberg has made the city a target-rich environment

NRA Life member

GOA member

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Probably made some new gun laws...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

NYC is open since no law-abiding citizen would carry a handgun ... a target-rich environment.
    That's the simple math, right there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well they should pass a law making crime illegal! If they passed a law people wouldn't do it! Maybe we can shame them into behaving.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    :(

My baby sister lives there, and she's as big a sheep as you can be. I worry. A lot.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I can see the crime going up. Known tomany NYC former residents here in Florida, there is a reason they moved.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by skeet732 View Post
    Can you say "Recession" people are out of work, money is tight, stealing is profitable. NYC is open since no law-abiding citizen would carry a handgun. Bloomberg has made the city a target-rich environment
    This is true, but a lot of establishments in NYC have guns behind the counters. A carry permit is hard to get but an ownership permit restricted to an address is very common.

There are also a large number of illegal possession "criminals" out there who want to protect themselves.

Simple solution, put up some sternly worded NO VIOLENT CRIME signs. That ought to do the trick.

Sponsored Links