Good: Pharmacy Employee shoots and kills armed robber OKC - Page 3

Good: Pharmacy Employee shoots and kills armed robber OKC

This is a discussion on Good: Pharmacy Employee shoots and kills armed robber OKC within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by GreenHorn I am amazed after seeing the video that a large percentage of viewers think that it was not murder. It looks ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    I am amazed after seeing the video that a large percentage of viewers think that it was not murder.

It looks pretty cut and dry.
    And now that the DA has said that the robber was flat on his back, unarmed and unconscious, yeah, pretty damned clear. Assuming those facts are correct, this was an execution.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    is it just me or does it seem like pharmacy Employees are on the ball about protecting themselves ? Seems like I've been reading about a lot of these pharmacy robberies gone right for the good guys lately.They should definitely be armed, a pharmacy is like the Holy Grail for dope heads.

Precisely, pharmacies have have a plentiful supply of two things BG's love; money and drugs...
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

$10 to a doughnut he gets off. The "victim" is off camera. Heat of the moment.

He may be sued but nothing more than a slap on the wrist for the criminal charges.

Anybody???
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sspargo View Post
    $10 to a doughnut he gets off. The "victim" is off camera. Heat of the moment.

He may be sued but nothing more than a slap on the wrist for the criminal charges.

Anybody???
    This would be interesting. Under Oklahoma law we are protected from lawsuits if we are not charged with a crime. I have often wondered if that protection carries over to someone who is charged but found innocent.

Michael

This very same thing happened down here in San Antonio last week...

Good for the Pharmacist, I hope he comes out of this OK.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    If the guy was down, shot in the head, I would't have shot him again unless theatened.
    This is the crux of things.

Does anyone know whether any of the witnesses are supporting this guy in his believe the perp on the floor was a continuing threat? Or, was he "unconscious" as the DA/police keep claiming?

According to an account by the pharmacist in this story, the perp on the floor was getting up and becoming an active threat again (click):
    "And that’s when I started defending myself,” he said. "The first shot got him in the head, and that slowed him down so I could get my other gun.”

But as one robber hit the floor, Ersland said, a bullet from the other robber whizzed past his ear.

The pharmacist said he then got his second gun from a nearby drawer, a Taurus "Judge.”

After he had the big gun, Ersland said, the second robber ran.

But as he started to chase after the second robber, Ersland said, he looked back to see the 16-year-old he had shot in the head getting up again. Ersland said he then emptied the Kel-Tec .380 into the boy’s chest as he kept going after the second robber.

"I went after the other guy, but he was real fast and I’m crippled,” Ersland said.

Outside the pharmacy, he said he saw what he thought was a third black male in a car with the engine running and reaching for what appeared to be a shotgun.

"I pulled out my ‘Judge’ and pointed it right between his eyes and he floored it,” Ersland said.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The dead perp is put under ground (click):
    Robbery suspect laid to rest

MARIKA LORRAINE REPORTING
    OKLAHOMA CITY -- On the same day the Oklahoma County District Attorney filed murder charges against Jerome Esrland, a pharmacist who shot a would-be-robber, the family of that victim gathered to say goodbye.

About 600 people arrived at the funeral home, mourning the death of 16-year-old Antwun Parker. Most called Parker by his nickname, Speedy.

The name was earned by his swiftness on the basketball court. His friend Edwin Burnett told us, "He liked playing sports; he liked to dance; he liked to go to the movies a lot. His favorite hobby was girls."

While they remembered his joking ways and constant smile, they wondered exactly how he ended up in the situation that caused his death. Friends say Parker was not a problem kid, and must have been talked into the one bad choice that cost him his life.

Burnett says, "Everybody is coming in with different stories about the situation and they really don't even know what happened, so everyone is just confused about it."

Now they hope the charges will help them heal, and help everyone know what really happened inside the pharmacy.
    They called him "Speedy." Fittingly, he got shoved in the hole quickly enough, not having even gotten through high school.

His favorite hobby appears to have been armed robbery while threatening citizens with death.

There shouldn't be much confusion about his intentions or "hobbies," given that his latest exploits were captured on film.

You've got wonder about a world where criminals are mourned by hundreds and upstanding citizens defending others are vilified as murderers.

This whole mess points out two crucial elements of "Castle" law: the presumption of innocence, in which the DA must make the case before the Grand Jury and prove that it could not possibly have been self-defense before any charges can be leveled; along with shielding from civil lawsuits in cases where the Grand Jury no-bills.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    This is the crux of things.

Does anyone know whether any of the witnesses are supporting this guy in his believe the perp on the floor was a continuing threat? Or, was he "unconscious" as the DA/police keep claiming?

According to an account by the pharmacist in this story, the perp on the floor was getting up and becoming an active threat again (click):
    Unfortunately for him the video tape contradicts his statement. He drops the deceased then chases the second subject out the door. He does not stop and shoot the deceased and then pursue like he describes. He drops the deceased, and immediately exits the store in pursuit of the other bad guy. He then walks back in, looks at the deceased (who we can not see and have no way of knowing what he was doing) and walks past him with his back to him. He then puts his handgun down on the counter and retrieves another one from a drawer and then walks back to where the deceased is. The weapon is off camera when it is fired, but he then walks back and gets on the phone.
    Not quite the way he described it is it?
    Without his statement being contradicted by the video, his lawyer would have a much easier time. In fact, without that statement he might not have even been charged.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I heard an interview with the pharmacist yesterday on Fox News (Sirius) on my way to work and he told the anchor that the reason he did it is because as he was going out the store chasing the other guy, he saw him (the deceased) moving and when he returned (important part here, there is a mom/daughter that works here as well although I don't think related to the pharmacist. The daughters name is Megan) he heard Megan's mom crying and repeating "I'm so sorry Megan, I'm so sorry Megan..." so he thought the deceased had shot Megan while he was out of the store and he wanted to make sure he stopped the threat.

That's what the guy said and again, no one will ever know as the perp is laying out of view of the camera.

I personally hope he is acquitted.

personally,i think its high time that criminals learned that if they go into a place of business, or home threatening people w/a gun and by vocal threats,that they will be subject to being shot to death.
    period.that's it, im sick of these punks.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I think he may of went to far, this guy make not have been a threat any longer, but it is very hard to say what you would do, he had two other employees to protect and you don,t know what he was feeling in this stressfull situation. I think it will be very hard to get a conviction.

R/S Lego

I agree with going too far. I think the email I got from Front Sight was about this. Saying that in an instant you can go from victim to murderer in half a second, and that he is likely to get charged. I couldn't open the video of the shooting in my email, but it was the same news channel, and about a pharmacy shooting, so I can only assume it to be the same.

Follow up...

YUP! The guy was arrested for murder and was granted bail. No word on the outcome.

Relatives speak out: click. Dead robber "was a good boy ... who liked to play basketball and draw pictures ... who had no intention of robbing a store." Despite being in the store robbing it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links