Bad: Parents Killed in Front of Son

This is a discussion on Bad: Parents Killed in Front of Son within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is happened less than thirty miles NW of here. There was nothing in the local paper this morning, I heard about it on Fox. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is happened less than thirty miles NW of here. There was nothing in the local paper this morning, I heard about it on Fox.

Couple killed at Faria Beach home

Originally published 06:38 a.m., May 21, 2009
    Updated 12:28 p.m., May 21, 2009
    Brock and Davina Husted taken in December 2008. Courtesy of Monica White

Brock and Davina Husted were stabbed to death the night of May 20 in their home. Their children escaped and called police from a neighbor's home.

Chuck Kirman / Star Staff -- Law enforcement officers investigate a Faria Beach home where Ventura County Sheriff's Department Capt. Ross Bonfiglio said a man wearing a motorcycle helmet entered the Husted home on the 4200 block of Faria Road and stabbed Brock and Davina Husted multiple times, killing both of them.

A quiet beach community northwest of Ventura was reeling this morning after a husband and wife were stabbed to death late Wednesday evening in their beachfront home.

Ventura County Sheriff’s Department Capt. Ross Bonfiglio said a man wearing a motorcycle helmet entered a home in the 4200 block of Faria Road at Faria Beach and attacked the couple about 10:30 p.m., authorities said. The husband and his pregnant wife, both 42, were stabbed multiple times, Bonfiglio said.

Authorities identified the couple as Brock and Davina Husted.

Two children, a 9-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl, were home at the time. The boy, who was watching television, witnessed at least the initial confrontation between his parents and the suspect, Bonfiglio said. Neither child was injured. The girl was asleep in a bedroom.

The children went next door and notified a neighbor who called 911.

Bonfiglio said they have questioned many people in the incident and have detained at least one person, but have made no arrests.

“There’s been no one we’ve been able to connect directly to this incident,” Bonfiglio said.

Bonfiglio described the suspect as wearing a black motorcycle helmet and a dark jumpsuit. The assailant apparently entered the house through an unlocked sliding door at the rear of the beige house, which sits in a gated community and backs up to the beach. He confronted the woman in the kitchen. The husband was in the master bedroom at the time.

Chief Deputy Dennis Carpenter told reporters that the two were stabbed in the living room. They did find the knife they believe was used.

“It seems more random than targeted,” Carpenter said of the crime.

The Ventura Police and California Highway Patrol are helping with the investigation.

Both children attended Pierpont School in Ventura, where counselors, school psychologists, district administrators and parents were caring for students today.

Because the elementary campus is small, everyone knows each other, said Trudy Arriaga, superintendent of the Ventura Unified School District.

“It’s just a saddened community,” Arriaga said. “We’re grieving the loss of the parents and tending to the fear and anxiety, and the sadness of the children.”

Next-door neighbor Bill Stratton, 78, said he was awakened by the helicopters about 1 or 2 a.m. His home is just a few feet away, and “I would have heard any ruckus,” he said. Adding that he didn’t hear a motorcycle, either.

“It’s one of those things the more you think about it the creepier it gets,” Stratton said.

Sipping coffee and smoking a cigarette this morning Stratton said he has known the family since they moved into the area four or five years ago. They have been remodeling and the house recently went up for sale.

Stratton uses a cane and said his neighbors had been very nice to him, bringing cupcakes over after a recent surgery and helping him out when he needed it.

He said Brock was a successful businessman and Davina had a sweet personality. “She was a beautiful woman,” he said.

The sheriff’s department used a community telephone activation system to notify neighbors of the attack. A helicopter, bloodhounds and canine units were searching the area for the suspect.

Bremen Schmeltz, who also lives in the neighborhood, said he would never expect something like this.

“It’s horrible,” he said. “It is a quiet community”

The Ventura County Sheriff’s Department is investigating the killing.

Anyone with information about the crime can call the Sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit at (805) 477-7000.
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

That's sad.

This is why I carry at home.

This is why I will ALWAYS carry at home.

Anytime, anywhere. When our time comes, be prepared or die.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    My Glock goes from my hip to my nightstand at bed time. When I wake it goes from my nightstand back to my hip.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    This is why I carry at home.

This is why I will ALWAYS carry at home.

Anytime, anywhere. When our time comes, be prepared or die.
    True. Terrible tragedy. In my book, it's heinous and psychological warfare perpetrated by the enemy. What folks need to realize is that there are evil people in this world that don't even give a second thought to killing you or your loved ones, it makes no difference the time, the place, the circumstances, nor the witnesses. Know the enemy. There are only two ways.........anyone not willing to kill the enemy is willing to die at the hands of the enemy. Kill or be killed in essence. Only a matter of time before the enemy confronts you. It's the enemy's battlefield you stake your claim upon simply by living your normal everyday life whether you realize it or not. Stake your claim and be confident....there is no flag to be planted on a hilltop by survivors.....it's life or death, and the choice is in your hands. Be ready.

If my Kimber is not in my waistband, it's within reach...this story is exactly why.

Stay armed...any time, any place...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Absolutely horrible. Hopefully someone with information steps forward and they catch the mutt. Danger rarely shows up when we're ready, so you always have to be ready.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Only two places you can be attacked: (1) outside your home and (2) inside your home.

My thoughts go out to the children. I hope they have adult relatives that will take them in. Truly sad.

Why didn't they lock their door? This is a very sad story, but people have called me paranoid for always locking my doors behind me, especially at night. I understand with kids this is a tougher task since they are forgetful, and it is possible that is what happened here.

Sad , sad story.

But how could this have happened? they lived in a high priced neighborhood, they should have been safe, right?

As many of you have said, and I agree, it can happen anywhere at any time.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Why didn't they lock their door?
    They lived in a gated community....and fell for the false sense of security that comes with that.

Horrible story, made even worse by the kids being there.

Locks, security system, dogs and guns. Not paranoid but aware that bad things can happen, even in safe areas like where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    They lived in a gated community....and fell for the false sense of security that comes with that.

Horrible story, made even worse by the kids being there.

Locks, security system, dogs and guns. Not paranoid but aware that bad things can happen, even in safe areas like where I live.
    my thoughts exactly, paranoia? I call it common sense.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Why didn't they lock their door? This is a very sad story, but people have called me paranoid for always locking my doors behind me, especially at night. I understand with kids this is a tougher task since they are forgetful, and it is possible that is what happened here.

Sad , sad story.
    Locks only keep honest people honest.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Locks only keep honest people honest.
    Yeah but it might have given them precious time to hear something happening.

I know you cannot stop criminals, but you can make their job as tough as possible.

One of my uncles was a security nut, he would do things like use scotch tape and fish-wire to set traps to see if someone had been somewhere, or opened some door. He would place open jars of small bills and change out on shelves in case a petty crook broke in, they would just take the jar and not look for his safe that usually had a couple thousand bucks in it.

At night he had aluminum cans and glass bottles on fish-wire that he would hang on various doors at night in case someone tried to break in while he was sleeping. There was some noise booby-trap on every first level entrance. And he had a .38 revolver in his bedroom for when one of those noises tripped. Some people thought he was nuts, but he grew up in Newark, and his houses and cars had been broken into many times. Sure he was doing it in the 'burbs by the time he was in his 50s but at that point it was pure habit.

But the one thing I did learn from watching his antics, was that criminals will take the path of least resistance. A large percentage will move on from simple locked door, another percentage will move on from the sound or sight of a dog. Loud noises will scare off another percentage, and so on, and so on.

I am under no illusion that the locks would have definitively stopped this scumbag, by it might have given them some time. But as others have pointed out a false sense of security from living in a "gated community" could have played a negative part all by itself.

They had a "veil of safety" over there eyes hiding the dangers of the world from them. If it truly was random then who knows how many doors the BG tried before finding one open?
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links