GOOD: Seattle Police Officer shoots father who threatened toddler [WA]

This is a discussion on GOOD: Seattle Police Officer shoots father who threatened toddler [WA] within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Local News | Police shoot man who held toddler hostage in North Seattle | Seattle Times Newspaper Police shoot man who held toddler hostage in ...

Thread: GOOD: Seattle Police Officer shoots father who threatened toddler [WA]

Local News | Police shoot man who held toddler hostage in North Seattle | Seattle Times Newspaper

Police shoot man who held toddler hostage in North Seattle

By Sara Jean Green

Seattle Times staff reporter

A Seattle police officer this morning shot a man who had been holding his 20-month-old son hostage at a North Seattle apartment.

The man, 29, was taken to Harborview Medical Center with what were described as non-life-threatening wounds. The toddler was not harmed.

Police received a 911 call this morning around 10:15 from a relative of the man, saying he was suicidal over the recent death of his wife, said Seattle police spokesman Sean Whitcomb.

When police arrived at his apartment in the 12500 block of Greenwood Avenue North, the man threatened to kill himself, Whitcomb said. He then held his son in front of the door and threatened to harm the toddler if police tried to come inside, he said.

The officers backed off and went around to the rear of the apartment. The man came out a rear door and told officers he had a gun inside the apartment, Whitcomb said. He told the officers there would be a "bloodbath" if they tried to enter the apartment, and reminded them the toddler was inside, Whitcomb said.

When the man turned to go back inside, one of the officers shot the man in the face, Whitcomb said.

The toddler was found inside the apartment. He was not injured.

A cursory search of the apartment did not turn up any firearms, Whitcomb said. But family members had reportedly told police the man had owned guns, he said.

Two female police officers were seen carrying a toddler away from the apartment complex and place him in a car with an unidentified woman.

The officer who shot the man was placed on administrative leave, which is routine following officer-involved shootings.
    Quick thinking, stopping the man from getting back into the apartment where he could have carried out his threats against his own son.

A tragic situation for sure - having just lost his wife - now the boy has effectively lost both of his parents.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

That is sad,. .I feel for the child,.. . Hope he has some great grandparent's that take him in.. .

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I hope that guy has his parental rights terminated NOW, while the kid is still a tot and the chances of screwing up the little guy for good are still pretty slim. Yikes.

Nothing gets me madder, more quickly, than someone threatening to destroy innocence, or harming those who cannot speak for themselves.

Nothing!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Good actions on the officers involved in stopping the threat.

Michael

Too bad it had to happen, but good decision by the LEO because there is no telling how it would have ended if he had not stopped him. No way to know if any other action could have been taken and by the sounds of it, he had little time to decide what action to take.

In my book, you don't threaten to harm a 20 month old...
    I have no problem with the action of the officers.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

so how long to you think it will be before the "he was a good man" and "I am shocked, he was soo quiet" starts to come out?

I say good riddens.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Good job police, now if they can just find the 125 pound black bear that has been roaming our streets for the last week.

Even in the most gruesome situations, people who know the attacker always have good things to say. Maybe people are good and the evil just resides in all of us, waiting to come out someday....
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Even in the most gruesome situations, people who know the attacker always have good things to say. Maybe people are good and the evil just resides in all of us, waiting to come out someday....

In-Yo Yin-yang

Smart move by this LEO.
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Good job by the LEO. I'm glad to hear that the child was unharmed. I feel for the man's loss but hopefully he'll come to terms with it and allow the child to have at lease one parent in his life.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Links