BAD:Girl, 3, Accidentally Shoots and Kills 2-Year-Old Brother

This is a discussion on BAD:Girl, 3, Accidentally Shoots and Kills 2-Year-Old Brother within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not alot of information yet but here is what is published on FOX.... BAKERSFIELD, California — Police in central California say a 2-year-old boy has ...

Thread: BAD:Girl, 3, Accidentally Shoots and Kills 2-Year-Old Brother

Not alot of information yet but here is what is published on FOX....

BAKERSFIELD, California — Police in central California say a 2-year-old boy has died after being accidentally shot by his 3-year-old sister.

Bakersfield police Sgt. Greg Terry says the girl apparently found a .45 caliber semiautomatic handgun under her parents' bed Wednesday afternoon and accidentally shot her brother.

The wounded boy was taken to Kern Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

Police say the children's mother was in another area of the apartment at the time of the shooting. Their father was at work.

The investigation is continuing.

------

To say this is sad is an understatement... Very irresponsible of these parents. Just more ammunition for the anti's to have against the responsible gun owners.

Senior Moderator
    Nothing accidental here - criminally culpable negligence on the part of whomever left that firearm unsecured where the child could get to it, IMHO.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Tragic.... and totally avoidable. Certainly the parents are culpable here. Who leaves a loaded gun under a bed anyway? Especially if you have small kids who you know crawl all over the place.

When I bought my Glock 30, I also picked up a safe for my gun (I have a 3 year old, and the top dresser drawer was no longer safe). The salesmen said it was a waste of money, and that he keeps his between his mattresses, and is sure that he kid can't get it. He also said his wife has no idea it is there as well.

Stupid is as stupid does.

About the story...tragic, and horrid. Stupid and avoidable. It's common sense people!!!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Nothing accidental here - criminally culpable negligence on the part of whomever left that firearm unsecured where the child could get to it, IMHO.

Matt
    Agreed, criminal negligence. Idiots make it hard for those of us who are responsible!

I hate for the little girl to lose a brother AND a parent but yeah, one of the parents needs to go down for this. Jail time is needed.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

VIP Member
    Difinatelly criminally negligent. Please use your common sense people. And if you don't have any....don't own a gun!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Difinatelly criminally negligent. Please use your common sense people. And if you don't have any....don't own a gun!
    Common sense is a relative term. And those without it are the last to find out.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    Common sense is a relative term. And those without it are the last to find out.
    Too true!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I am wondering if a 3 yrs old is getting falsely blamed..........A three yr old picks up a 1911 45, knocks off the safety and gets a good grip on the firearm to override the second safety or if its something like a glock ....big and stronger trigger pull..........something stinks....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I am wondering if a 3 yrs old is getting falsely blamed..........A three yr old picks up a 1911 45, knocks off the safety and gets a good grip on the firearm to override the second safety or if its something like a glock ....big and stronger trigger pull..........something stinks....
    Since we don't know anything beyond the caliber that's pointless conjecture. Even if it had a fairly heavy trigger pull, she still could have pulled it off with a backward grip (which is why the majority of small children wind up shooting themselves rather than someone else when they find a gun).

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

You should never underestimate a child's ability to operate what may seem to us to be mechanisms too complicated or physically difficult to operate for a child. Children are smart and resourceful at getting into trouble.

This could have been easily avoided. A gun between the mattress is stupid even with no children - store it somewhere easier to get to (for you) and where it won't be found by your average smash and grab robber, too. Under the mattress is one of the first places bad guys check, because people store cash and guns there.

Very unfortunate but very preventable
    2A is not negotiable

Links