Bad: Pharmacy manager to be charged with murder

This is a discussion on Bad: Pharmacy manager to be charged with murder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I read this as a follow-up to an earlier post. Pharmacist Who Shot Man Robbing Store Charged With Murder - Local News | News Articles ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad: Pharmacy manager to be charged with murder

I read this as a follow-up to an earlier post.

Pharmacist Who Shot Man Robbing Store Charged With Murder - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

I am having trouble faulting that guy for what he did. Just my opinion FWIW
    2A is not negotiable

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    I am having trouble faulting that guy for what he did.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by AP
    But Prater said Ersland went too far when he shot Parker five more times in the abdomen while Parker lay unconscious on the floor.
    I'm fairly comfortable with faulting someone who shot an unconscious man five times.

If in deed he did shoot a disarmed guy on the floor five times AFTER shooting him in the head as the video showed,.. Then that would be no-good,... He was justified up untill he got the second gun and unloaded it in the guy's stomach when he was on the ground un-armed.. IF the story is correct, that is my take on it..

There was no need for what he did after the initial defensive shot. Sorry to say, but he's going to get locked up.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Agreed, he was likely within the law until he executed the non-threat.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

As we sit here unstressed with no adrenaline going through our veins it is easy to judge someone else. This bad guy could of been 16 or 60. You want to be a bad guy, then you get treated like a bad guy. His age should not come in to play but it is. Not up front but it is on everybody's minds.

I have no idea what I would of done but I do know this. Death never looks good on camera and emotions have no place there. The bad guy played and the bad guy paid. Period.
    Last edited by Landor; May 28th, 2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spell check

As we sit here unstressed with no adrelean going through our veins it is easy to judge someone else
    That was my take on this. The problem with judging his actions from the news reports and what video I have see is WHAT CANNOT be seen, felt, or known in that scenario.

I don't know what I would have done or how I would have handled it but in that moment, I cannot fault him without KNOWING all the facts. WAS the BG unconscious? DID th BG raise the weapon? Do you or anyone but Mr Pharmacist REALLY know what went on below the camera scope?
    2A is not negotiable

Of course, none of this would have happened if someone didn't decide to do the crime in the first place. But it's a tough call like Landor said above. In the moment the pharmacist could very well have considered the guy a threat still.

the pharmacist might have been showing mercy and putting the robber out of his misery.................more likely bad judgement on his part........

Quote Originally Posted by Nozoki View Post
    In the moment the pharmacist could very well have considered the guy a threat still.

He'll have to prove that in court now. I suspect that it's going to be tough to do so.

Stop the immediate threat. Move yourself and any other victims to a position that offers protection. Dial 911......

In that order.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Down here in Texas, we would be buying that pharmacist a beer.........

Attached is a link from san antonio, this is how we treat robbers here...

UPDATE: Pharmacistshootsand kills robbery suspect | Latest News | KENS5.com
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Down here in Texas, we would be buying that pharmacist a beer.........

Attached is a link from san antonio, this is how we treat robbers here...

UPDATE: Pharmacistshootsand kills robbery suspect | Latest News | KENS5.com

Completely different scenario. If your TX pharmacist had walked up to the already unconscious BG and emptied his gun into the BG's gut, he'd be up on charges too.......and rightfully so.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Instead of shooting him again he should have stepped on his throat.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket56 View Post
    the pharmacist might have been showing mercy and putting the robber out of his misery.................more likely bad judgement on his part........

But, he doesn't have the right to do that!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I thought (in one of the links) that the Pharmacist said that the BG "started to move" and that's when he shot him again. The head wound didn't kill the BG, and we can't see what happened b/c he was out of camera range. He could very well have shot a guy who was moving and looked like he was reaching for a gun. Considering the robber who got away pulled a gun on the Pharmacist, it's likely he thought he was going to get shot again (the Pharmacist was shot in the hand, right?) and did what he felt he had to do to stop the threat.

On the other hand, if he shot an unconscious person, that's WRONG. I get that with all the chaos and the adrenaline dump, things were wacky, but still...

Wonder if anyone can or will clarify this for us?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links