(Mostly good) Quick-thinking pizza man leads cops to rape/would-be murder victim

This is a discussion on (Mostly good) Quick-thinking pizza man leads cops to rape/would-be murder victim within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wow. ------------------------- Quick-thinking pizza man leads cops to rape victim (with photo of a brave man who escaped without "tripping alarm" to call police within ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (Mostly good) Quick-thinking pizza man leads cops to rape/would-be murder victim

(Mostly good) Quick-thinking pizza man leads cops to rape/would-be murder victim

Wow.

-------------------------

Quick-thinking pizza man leads cops to rape victim (with photo of a brave man who escaped without "tripping alarm" to call police within cell phone signal range ASAP)

Picture of a rapist.

-------------------------

I wonder about a what-if scenario -- if a pizza delivery man who's a CCW licensee with concealed loaded pistol & handcuffs spots a terrified victim in the distance upon meeting the "patron" at the door, would he be within perfect legal boundary to detain the man at gunpoint and proceed to "citizen arrest" under the totality of circumstance? Or avoid trouble and contact police as soon as possible to intervene and make an arrest?

2. Remove Ads

Tell you what, if I was in his shoes and I had a gun, I'd detain the guy regardless of consequences. Better be on the lookout for a second (or third?) guy though. Glad it went as well as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdogg View Post
    I wonder about a what-if scenario -- if a pizza delivery man who's a CCW licensee with concealed loaded pistol & handcuffs spots a terrified victim in the distance upon meeting the "patron" at the door, would he be within perfect legal boundary to detain the man at gunpoint and proceed to "citizen arrest" under the totality of circumstance? Or avoid trouble and contact police as soon as possible to intervene and make an arrest?
    There is a third option, which is to get the woman out of there without trying to detain the suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    There is a third option, which is to get the woman out of there without trying to detain the suspect.
    Which would mean BG will react with aggression and violence by bare fists or martial arts to prevent the consequence of being arrested later.

Only the unarmed and muscular good guy need possess combat skills to successfully subdue the creepy thug and rescue the victim to escape with haste.

This scenario is probably exceptionally rare in the real world. Difficult to imagine what would happen if the unarmed pizza delivery man chose the option to rescue the victim by battling BG bare-fisted and with little street combat skill upon self-reasoning after overcoming "fear effect."

VIP Member
    I think the pizza guy did exactly the right thing.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The article...

Quick-thinking pizza man leads cops to rape victim

By DUNCAN MANSFIELD, Associated Press Writer – Sat May 30, 12:06 pm ET
    GATLINBURG, Tenn. – Chris Turner normally wouldn't drive into the remote Tennessee mountains just to deliver a pizza. The one time he did, he came upon a scene that drained the color from his face and made him "numb from head to toe" — a woman with her hands tied, silently begging him to call 911.
    It was no joke, and Turner, 32, rushed to a nearby house and made the call. Police say the woman was jogging in her Atlanta neighborhood when she was whisked away by a man who frequented her business. Authorities say he drove her off, raped her and held her captive inside a cabin. The 24-year-old woman was rescued by Sevier County deputies on Tuesday evening because of Turner's quick thinking.

Turner told The Associated Press on Friday that he noticed the woman pop up from a couch while the suspect signed the credit card slip.
    "While I was standing in the door all you could see was the back of the couch," Turner said. "And then she popped over the back of the couch and showed me that her hands were bound. And she was just mouthing, 'Please call 911.'"

Turner at first thought it was a joke.
    "When I realized what was going on, I went numb from head to toe and turned pale white," he said.
    Turner tried to look calm. "Have a nice day. Enjoy your food," he told the suspect, who tipped him $5 on a $37.69 bill. Then he rushed back to his van, where his wife, Nease, was waiting behind the wheel.

"Go, go, go!" he told her.

The cabin location was out of cell phone range. So they drove to a nearby house and called police. They waited to make sure the suspect didn't flee. Then Turner stayed to see the man arrested and the victim taken away in an ambulance. "I wanted to make sure she was OK," he said.
    The woman told authorities she was jogging near her home about 11:50 a.m. Tuesday when a frequent customer at a restaurant and bar owned by the woman and her husband asked her to see his new car. She got into the vehicle, which turned out to be a rental, and was immediately tied up.

She told police the suspect drove her more than 200 miles to the cabin in Tennessee and raped her. The Associated Press does not identify alleged sexual assault victims.
    Police arrested David J. Jansen, 46, of Snellville, Ga., without a struggle on charges of aggravated kidnapping and rape, Sheriff Ron Seals said in a statement. He was released on $800,000 bond late Thursday. His attorney, Donald Bosch of Knoxville, had no comment Friday.

Capt. Jeff McCarter refused to discuss the case Friday. But he earlier told The Mountain Press newspaper that officials believe the woman was in imminent danger.
    The victim and her husband visited Turner at Capelli's Pizza and Subs in Gatlinburg before heading home Wednesday. "She was just thanking me ... for trusting her," Turner said. "She said he was going to kill her ... after he got done with her."

Turner's boss, John Henry, said the cabin was about 30 miles from his pizza shop.
    "We usually don't go out that far," he said. "But he said, 'Yeah, I will take it.' It was just luck. For her, it was."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Can't confront with wife in vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Agree. He did the right thing, and he did perhaps the only thing he could possibly have done.

The idea of engaging in combat with the BG, especially once you recall that the pizza guy's wife was in his van, is unrealistic.

Even if he had a gun and martial arts skills, he needed to get his wife to a safe place first, above else.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    To be on the safe side legally without spawning civil lawsuit by BG. (left to law enforcement to respond to make arrest as hastily as possbile)

Personally, if it were up to me as an armed citizen with knowledge of citizen arrest like the back of my hand, I would never tolerate leaving the helpless victim, legal consequence be damned.

Defense of human dignity with empathy for the victim in rescue under the precarious and dangerous circumstance matter IMO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdogg View Post
    I wonder about a what-if scenario -- if a pizza delivery man who's a CCW licensee with concealed loaded pistol & handcuffs spots a terrified victim in the distance upon meeting the "patron" at the door, would he be within perfect legal boundary to detain the man at gunpoint and proceed to under the totality of circumstance? Or avoid trouble and contact police as soon as possible to intervene and make an arrest?
    This sounds more like a LEO wannabe, or mall ninja. In all my time carrying I have never carried handcuffs. In fact I don't know of anyone who does.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    This sounds more like a LEO wannabe, or mall ninja. In all my time carrying I have never carried handcuffs. In fact I don't know of anyone who does.
    Here's an interesting story on real-life citizen's arrest.

Depending on the state law where citizen's arrest may be allowed under the circumstance, with handcuffs or using kuboton.

Ehow on how to make a citizen's arrest (a few minor details may not be applicable or accurate)

I'm aware of the peril of making a citizen's arrest (accused's health and physical state, deadly and violent resistance, subject to civil lawsuit or prosecution for "false imprisonment," etc)

But seriously, what if the victim is visibly terrified that begs for help in silence? Leaving her to be left to the bad guy's evil intents while the good guy is "armed, skilled and aware of legal mumbo jumbo" amount to dialing 911 during home invasion and waiting for cops to arrive.

The man who rescued the victim by contacting police to apprehend the rapist/would-be killer did the right thing under the perilous, nerve-racking circumstances. It is fortunate because police intervened on time to rescue the victim before the sicko had a chance to commit murder (according to the victim) after he finished a rape in the narrow time frame.

As Hopyard pointed out, the option of engaging the BG was not the right one first and foremost because the pizza delivery guy's wife was just outside. Were I married, my wife's safety would undoubtedly come before the safety of an apparent kidnapping victim.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I think he did the right thing, too. The important part here is that he didn't just ignore what was going on, NOR did he overstep and get confrontational, who knows how hat could have gone! He notified authorities as quick as possible and waited to see the victim taken to safety and her attacker arrested. Three Cheers for the Pizza Hero!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    As Hopyard pointed out, the option of engaging the BG was not the right one first and foremost because the pizza delivery guy's wife was just outside. Were I married, my wife's safety would undoubtedly come before the safety of an apparent kidnapping victim.
    Excellent point! The hero did the absolute best thing' by reporting to police. I sure hope he is honored for his deed.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Agreed... pizza guy did the right thing. I delivered pizzas for a while in the 80's, and the cliches and urban legends are true... pizza delivery guys somehow have the karmic burden of running into the weirdest of circumstances...

Yanking a pistol would have been a bad call... this coulda been a kinky exhibitionist thrill game, for all he knew. Who leaves a kidnap victim in view of the front door...?

Yep... get your wife outta there and call a cop...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

My question is who's the jackass that allowed this guy out on bail???

FWIW - NC has no citizen's arrest despite what Gomer Pyle said on The Andy Griffith Show.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links