Bad: Expensive Fire

This is a discussion on Bad: Expensive Fire within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I really hate to hear stories like this. It's not so much the cost of the destroyed ammunition, it's the replacement difficulty under the present ...

Thread: Bad: Expensive Fire

Bad: Expensive Fire

I really hate to hear stories like this. It's not so much the cost of the destroyed ammunition, it's the replacement difficulty under the present circumstances. Particularly when there is almost no ammunition available anywhere in Los Angeles County.

Cache of ammunition explodes in Reseda blaze
    10:46 AM | May 31, 2009

A metal container apparently used to store ammunition and two sheds caught fire this morning in Reseda, causing an explosion and forcing the evacuations of nearby homes, authorities said.

The fire began in the 19200 block of Ingomar Street at 8:43 a.m.Explosion , and firefighters were still on scene at about 10:15 a.m.

Crews tried to douse the flames from about 50 feet away because rounds of ammunition were continuing to go off, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokeswoman D’Lisa Davies. Davies said that, according to arriving firefighters, it “sounded like thousands of rounds were going off.”

Davies said there were no injuries reported but that about five nearby homes were evacuated. She said the metal container and two sheds were a short distance from a single-family home and that the owner was on the scene and cooperating with authorities.

Davies said firefighters were unsure whether ammunition was stored only in the metal container and not in the sheds as well. A police department bomb squad was expected to arrive on scene and to decide when it was safe for residents to return to their homes.

Authorities said it appeared that the owner of the residence and the outbuildings had the proper permits and is not expected to be arrested. The police and fire departments are continuing to investigate.

-- Ari B. Bloomekatz
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Yeah, that really stinks. I don't have so much ammo that I can't store it all in my safe. Haven't really thought about what I would do with any excess.

As for the story, I wonder if the container was in one of the sheds? Not really clear, but I can't see someone leaving a box/case/chest/whatever full of ammo in the back yard. The closest I've read about to that would be a cache, but I thought those were usually buried. Weird. At least the guys not going to be charged.

And what permits are they talking about in the last paragraph?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    The cost on all ammo has nearly doubled, so he is out much more than what he spent on the ammo. The replacement costs have increased so much, not to mention the difficulty finding the replacement rounds. That really sucks for him. I am also wondering what permits they were talking about.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Now see, I was trying to be nice and Google "stockpiling ammunition permit". Then I saw all the anti's sites and comments so now I'm pissed at the world...

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

Ouch! Dunno if homeowners insurance covers that.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Bad luck for sure...

Sounds like the home owner is out a bundle.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

According to this it sounds like he is an FFL 03 and probably needed additional permits for his gunpowder.

AFAIK, there is no legal limit to the amount of ammunition you may keep in your home in California generally or in Reseda specifically.

I also found something that almost caused me to retch: Gun Violence Depiction Book.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    According to this it sounds like he is an FFL 03 and probably needed additional permits for his gunpowder.

AFAIK, there is no legal limit to the amount of ammunition you may keep in your home in California generally or in Reseda specifically.

I also found something that almost caused me to retch: Gun Violence Depiction Book.

Ryan
    That gun violence depiction book is a a subject all on its own. That kind of stuff really grinds my grits. For example :
    Consider having a character use a gun inwhat he/she believes is self-defense only to be charged with murder or manslaughter because it’s determined that excessive or unjustified lethal force was deployed.
    So now it looks like there is a handbook put out by the antis to make it easy to bash firearms ownership for any reason. What the heck.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Bad luck for sure...

Sounds like the home owner is out a bundle.
    Real bad luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    According to [url="http://www.fortmilltimes.com/124/story/584570.html"]I also found something that almost caused me to retch: Gun Violence Depiction Book.

Ryan

Amazing. I read through a few of those. Pure drivel, but I bet it makes a great guide for writing ant gun literature.

I was all upset at the loss of ammo.....how unfortunate

Now I am pissed after reading that link....thanks alot!
    2A is not negotiable

Links