BAD-Massachusetts Strip Club Shooting Spree Kills 1, Injures 5

This is a discussion on BAD-Massachusetts Strip Club Shooting Spree Kills 1, Injures 5 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Although I do not frequent these types of establishments, it's yet another reason carrying should not be prohibited in them or other bars/restaurants. Massachusetts Strip ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD-Massachusetts Strip Club Shooting Spree Kills 1, Injures 5

Although I do not frequent these types of establishments, it's yet another reason carrying should not be prohibited in them or other bars/restaurants.

Massachusetts Strip Club Shooting Spree Kills 1, Injures 5 - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Sunday, May 31, 2009

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — A 24-year-old Springfield man faces murder and other charges after a weekend shooting spree inside a city strip club.

Marcus Blanton, 24, opened fire with a semiautomatic pistol near the bathrooms of Club 418 just after 1:30 a.m. on Saturday, police said.

Five people were shot, and a sixth victim was found with a stab wound. One of the shooting victims, a 23-year-old man, later died at Baystate Medical Center. The other victims were hospitalized with wounds that police called serious but not life-threatening.

The victims' names had not been released by Sunday afternoon.

Police found two guns at the scene but did not have a motive for the shootings.

"He came out of the bathroom and just started shooting," said Springfield police Lt. John Bobianski.

Massachusetts State Police Community Action Team members were in the area and were able to arrest Blanton as he was leaving the club, he said.

Blanton was charged with murder, assault with a dangerous weapon and several other crimes, he said.

Springfield attorney Daniel D. Kelly, who represents the club, told The Republican of Springfield that the two employees may have been injured in the shooting and expressed the club's condolences to the all the victims.

"We're reviewing our safety procedures," he said. "Unfortunately, no safety procedure is flawless and we'll continue to review our procedure when all the facts of are known."
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

While I realize this is a terrible incident, I strongly disagree with you on a law against guns in bars/restaurants would prevent this action.

Isn't shooting six people already against the law? That doesn't seem to have stopped this individual.
    Someone intent on carrying a weapon to do harm doesn't care about the laws, so why restrict someone who is responsible and only seeks to defend himself?

Perhaps someone with a sidearm could have preented this death or some of the victims from being shot.

Explain just how taking guns away from the victims makes them safer?

Stay armed...don't limit MY carry options...stay safe!
    (I don't go to bars anyway, but don't limit the honest/responsible person.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    While I realize this is a terrible incident, I strongly disagree with you on a law against guns in bars/restaurants would prevent this action.

Isn't shooting six people already against the law? That doesn't seem to have stopped this individual.
    Someone intent on carrying a weapon to do harm doesn't care about the laws, so why restrict someone who is responsible and only seeks to defend himself?

Perhaps someone with a sidearm could have preented this death or some of the victims from being shot.

Actually it appears it is legal to carry in establishments that serve alcohol in Mass.

I don't drink anymore or frequent strip clubs. What I remember from my younger days are they usually become quit rowdy as the night goes on and the patrons get drunker. Not a good place to be hanging out, with or without a gun.

(I wonder if he came out of the john and found someone using his dollar bills to pay for a lap dance??!!)

I believe the OP agrees with you when he says this is another reason NOT to prohibit firearms in places that sell booze etc.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

We are in agreement!
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sspargo View Post
    We are in agreement!
    I second this sentiment.

OK I have to ask, think they saw it coming?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    While I realize this is a terrible incident, I strongly disagree with you on a law against guns in bars/restaurants would prevent this action....
    What?! "sspargo" didn't state he was against the carry issue. In fact, the OP is an advocate against places that restrict carrying in any business, as he is a Moderator on the “NoCarryZones” website.
    Regards,

P.S. Oh, Ok...I see it's already cleared up ~
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    What's this world coming to? Strip club/bars used to be such wholesome establishments.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    What's this world coming to? Strip club/bars used to be such wholesome establishments.
    Now that's funny, coming from PastorPack!

And yes, I know you were being facetious.

Yes we can carry in establishments that serve alcohol in Mass. Very few places we can't carry, fed. buildings and schools is about it.

This shooting in the strip club was gang related, 7th murder in Springfield this year.

Local news cast said weapon used was a S&W 40 cal. semi-automatic hand gun, my guess a Sigma.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

In Maine we can carry in establishments that server booze but not bars, or in the bar area of a restaurant. So would a strip club be a bar or a club? they serve booze and some great wings.

What about our topless donut shop? is that a bar a club or a dunken donuts with a really loose dress code?
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

VIP Member
    What about our topless donut shop? is that a bar a club or a dunken donuts with a really loose dress code?
    Was that Dunkin Donuts, or Drunken Donuts?

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    ......I strongly disagree with you on a law against guns in bars/restaurants would prevent this action....
    I think you misread his post, he said:

it's yet another reason carrying should not (emphasis mine) be prohibited

Actually in Springfield there has been a shooting or stabbing at or very near strip clubs (there are like six or seven in that relatively small city) nearly every month since November. Along with a running gun fight/shoot out in broad day light on a main street coming out of a barber shop last fall (also featured here in this forum area).
    Stuff occurs in Springfield weekly.

As noted by JAT carry in MA to bars and other alcohol serving establishments is entirely lawful as well it should be.
    I've been to this specific club and noted the story this evening while reading my town paper over dinner. My first thought was dang it only has one exit and the floor is open space with no concealment never mind cover.
    Oh, and the Springfield police station is like three blocks away...and easy and quick walk, no that police proximity matters a hoot in any city never mind Springfield.

Aside from the two strip clubs physically located within the core of the entertainment district (a single block that is heavily patrolled) and the single male revue club of same sort, this club and the remainder are well known by locals as being havens for gang and drug activity.

- Janq carries everywhere, and doesn't drink alcohol served outside my own four walls
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links