Man violating restraining order finds police inside home. Shots fired, he's done.

This is a discussion on Man violating restraining order finds police inside home. Shots fired, he's done. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The local news reported the woman had a restraining order against her estranged boyfriend. This occurred a few minutes from a medical office my wife ...

Thread: Man violating restraining order finds police inside home. Shots fired, he's done.

Man violating restraining order finds police inside home. Shots fired, he's done.

The local news reported the woman had a restraining order against her estranged boyfriend.

This occurred a few minutes from a medical office my wife sometimes visits, which was the scene of a domestic murder and a justified police shooting last November. Except for a few apartments and a trailer park nearby, it's considered a "good" part of town.

St. Charles crime, weather, traffic, government & local breaking news

O'Fallon police fatally shoot man, 30, from Wentzville

O'Fallon, Mo., police investigate the scene where a man was shot and killed Monday morning at the Mill Creek Parkway apartments in O'Fallon. (Emily Rasinski/P-D)By Joel Currier

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    06/01/2009

UPDATED: 4:02 p.m. identifying the man fatally wounded.

O'FALLON, Mo. -- Police shot and killed a man brandishing a handgun this morning at an apartment complex in the first block of Millcreek Parkway.

Killed in the shooting was Maurice Johnson, 30, of Wentzville.

At a press conference this afternoon, Police Chief Bill Seibert gave the following account of the shooting:

At 8:54 a.m., police received a call from the Rock Creek Elementary School in O'Fallon, asking police to check on a woman at one of the apartments. The caller had been told that the woman had been threatened over the weekend.

Six O'Fallon police officers went to the apartment complex. They knocked on the door, no one was there. A neighbor came out and told police that she would contact the woman that they were going to check on.

Police got in touch with the woman and she returned to her apartment. She let police in to check on her apartment and, after a few minutes, four officers left. They were told by their superiors to keep watch in case the man who had threatened the woman returned to the apartment.

The other two officers were in two back bedrooms in the apartment, when Johnson came in through the back door. The two officers confronted Johnson in the hallway and tried to arrest him.

That's when police said Johnson pulled out a .40-caliber, semi-automatic handgun. Police then fired on him. It's unclear how many shots were fired, but Johnson ran back out of the apartment. Johnson collapsed and died just outside of the apartment's back door.

Johnson and the woman were an estranged couple, but had never married. The couple had a child together; the child goes to Rock Creek Elementary School. VIDEO: Public information officer gives update

Seibert said that police had been called to the apartment in the past. Police had warrants for domestic assault already out for the Johnson's arrest for prior incidents.

"We don't know who fired first at this time," Seibert said. "It was very close quarters."

The two officers are now on administrative leave, as per department policy. The policy requires such action any time an officer is involved in a shooting. They will be off work until an internal investigation is complete.

The officers have between seven and 11 years of service on the department.

In November, a lab technician was working at the St. John's Mercy Urgent Care center off Highway K in O'Fallon, Mo., when her ex-boyfriend walked in and shot her. An O'Fallon police SWAT team then shot the man. The woman -- Jenenne Marie Meadows, 47 -- and the ex-boyfriend died at the scene.

Meanwhile, in the neighborhood off of Highway K and Mexico Road where the shooting happened today, neighbors seemed worried.

A neighbor -- Norma Haines, 69 -- lives in the Mill Pond Apartments for seniors, a complex situated next door. Haines said that she heard several shots fired this morning. She said the apartment complex where the shooting took place has been a frequent source of complaints.

"There's always some unsavory stuff going on over there," Haines said. "Those apartments have been kind of a worry."

This is a breaking story. Check back for updates.
    Kudos to the police for standing in harm's way for the woman.

2. Remove Ads

Proof positive, how having a firearm for defense can be the difference between life and death.

Of course, this person had her own personal, private police detail ensconced in her home for when the bad guy came back. There aren't too many folks who can rely on that.

Wait ... didn't these cops get the memo? SCOTUS says they are absolved from personally protecting anyone, let alone being a private security detail. What's the deal? Glad they were able to do so, all the same, but it is a bit unique.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Would like to have seen the look on his face when he busted in and found the cops there!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Good job on the local PD! One less _______ (fill in the blank) walking around.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Wow. Six officers responding?

There must be a back story, that's a lot of assets tied up. Not complaining, mind you, it's just odd.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post

There must be a back story, that's a lot of assets tied up. Not complaining, mind you, it's just odd.
    Well they were next to an elementary school.

"At 8:54 a.m., police received a call from the Rock Creek Elementary School in O'Fallon, asking police to check on a woman at one of the apartments. The caller had been told that the woman had been threatened over the weekend."

I'd guess that might be a reason why. You're right though, normally I'd expect one, maybe two, to show up for a DV call.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    kudos for the officers being in the right place at the right time and responding properly. Thanks to the 911 caller and neighbors as well.

Another loser bites the dust...
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Another 'effective' restraining order.
    Restraining orders and No Guns Allowed signs are both equally effective.

The fiream, however, does appear to have worked.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    "We don't know who fired first at this time," Seibert said. "It was very close quarters."

Gee, I hope the officers shot first!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Let's see now. The guy with a restraining order against him comes through the back door of a woman who has obtained the restraining order. He is armed and obviously didn't come by for a coffee chat. He pulls his gun when confronted by the police.

Does it matter who fired first? I also certainly hope it was the police. How many chances does this guy get?

Good job on the part of the Officers. This is one way to but some teeth into a Restraining Order.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post

It really does depend. As has been said, the elementary school probably had something to do with it, but it's also up to the officers and whether they feel there's an imminent threat.

I know that the only time I had to call the police - when someone broke into my house while I was in it - they really had a HUGE response. Even had the helicopter overhead. Unfortunately they never found the guy, but I really appreciated their professionalism and unexpected response. To be honest, I expected them to take a report and that would probably be it.

Links