Another officer executed near St. Louis

This is a discussion on Another officer executed near St. Louis within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It occurred in Centreville, IL, which is very near East St. Louis. Initial reports say someone came up behind the officer, who was in uniform ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another officer executed near St. Louis

Another officer executed near St. Louis

It occurred in Centreville, IL, which is very near East St. Louis. Initial reports say someone came up behind the officer, who was in uniform and in his unmarked patrol car, and shot him once in the head.

Condolences to the family.

Centreville officer shot and killed - STLtoday.com

Centreville officer shot and killed

The scene where Lt. Gregory Jonas, 58, was shot and killed early today outside the Ernest Smith Senior Apartments in Centreville. (Emily Rasinski/P-D)By Kim Bell

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    06/02/2009

UPDATE, 7:35 a.m. with new details from deputy police chief and interviews with neighbors.

CENTREVILLE, Ill. -- A veteran police officer has been shot and killed early today outside the Ernest Smith Senior Apartments in Centreville.

The officer is identified as Lt. Gregory Jonas, 58. He had been with the Centreville force for nearly 15 years and was an officer in Alorton before that.

Police say he was on-duty at about 2:30 a.m. today when someone fatally shot him at the complex in the 4700 block of Tudor Avenue.

The Major Case Squad has been activated to investigate the case. No arrests had been made.

Deputy Chief James Mister said Jonas was in uniform and on duty at the time. He had come to the apartment complex in an unmarked patrol car.

"He was making his nightly rounds," Mister said. "He was checking on a couple of guys when one of them came up behind him and shot him."

No other officers were hurt.

"He was everybody's friend, a good guy," Mister said. "He was well-known in the community out here. Everybody knew him to be a fair guy."

A lifelong resident of the apartment complex, Delano Mosley, said she woke to the sight of flashing police lights outside her window. Her heart sank, she said, when she found out the officer killed was someone she knew. Jonas was a quiet, friendly man who would drive around the neighborhood, waving from his police car, Mosley said. He also would take time out to throw a football with the kids, she said.

Another resident, Lillie Smith, said she woke up after the shooting, came outside and saw Jonas on his back, wounded on the ground, next to his police car with the car door open.

"He was shot up pretty bad, in the left eye," she said. "He was trying to say something. I stayed with him until the police arrived. I just told him, 'Hold on.' But he couldn't. That's sad. That's very sad."

Smith, 52, said she has lived in the apartment complex 14 years.

"We've been having a lot of shootings around here," she said. "Sometimes, they'll be shooting guns up in the air. Sometimes they are shooting at each other."

Smith said Jonas was one of the officers she trusted to try to curb that violence.

"He was the one who was trying to help us solve this," she said. "He'd stop and tell the boys on the corner to stay out of trouble."

Every morning, when Smith would leave for work about 5:30 a.m., she would see Jonas waiting in his police car until Smith got safely into her van.

"He was watching over us," she said.

This is a breaking story. Check back for updates.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Gang related?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    jeez man, that about chokes me up. What a shame.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Very tragic...senseless, and very sad for the cohorts and family members.
    There's going to be a LOT more to this story.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senseless and tragic. And hard to hear, especially after hearing how he seems to have affected local residents.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Gang related?
    Unknown at this point. The officer was parked at an apartment complex as was his custom. He was dedicated, his behavior was predictable. Someone had it in for either him personally or LEO's in general. Few details at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper2501 View Post
    Senseless and tragic. And hard to hear, especially after hearing how he seems to have affected local residents.
    Agreed. Sounds like he was a good man who watched out for people who left for work early in the mornings, making sure they were safe as they got in their cars and left.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Sounds like people who knew him were blessed to have known him and I hope he felt honored at how he was able to positively affect peoples lives. Based on the quotes from those who knew him, he really took the "protect and serve" part of the job to heart.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    I agree, tragic and senseless. Hopefully the scum who did it will meet a similar end very soon.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    How utterly horrible. Prayers for his family and loved ones. I hope they catch the piece of human garbage who did this.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

When they catch the POS, he should be hung by his brain stem with piano wire.
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Nope they won't hang him by his brain stem, they pronounce him as a person who was trying to get his life together, a misunderstood individual who was trying to do good. TOTAL BS

My sympathies to the officer's family

NRA Life member

GOA member

So, restrictive gun banning laws in Illinois do what??? Keeps the guns from falling in who's hands???

A sad story...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

So sad. The guy that shot him should be treated as he treated! I hate this kind of stuff. And they want to take my gun????? Right!
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

terrible, hope they are caught soon.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Gang related? Vermin related. Break out the rat poison.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links