Elderly homeowner shoots suspected burglar - Idaho

This is a discussion on Elderly homeowner shoots suspected burglar - Idaho within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another good cause for carry. Like many have said, when seconds count the police are only minutes away! Glad all ended well here. (mostly) Still ...

Thread: Elderly homeowner shoots suspected burglar - Idaho

Elderly homeowner shoots suspected burglar - Idaho

Another good cause for carry. Like many have said, when seconds count the police are only minutes away! Glad all ended well here. (mostly) Still looking for two suspects but one is in custody and hurting for his misdeeds.

Found at: Elderly homeowner shoots suspected burglar | Top Stories | KREM.com | News for Spokane, Washington

Elderly homeowner shoots suspected burglar

07:16 PM PDT on Tuesday, June 2, 2009

KREM.com

COEUR D’ALENE, Idaho – Coeur d’Alene Police said an elderly homeowner shot a burglary suspect late Monday night just outside of his home.

Coeur d'Alene Police Dept.

Shae Crump

Police said at 11:40 p.m. they were called to the 1100 block of Margaret Ave. on a burglary report.

The 74-year-old homeowner said his dog had jumped on his bed and the man knew something was wrong because the dog was shaking.

The homeowner grabbed his handgun and walked into his kitchen where he saw his back sliding door open and two men standing outside of it. The homeowner yelled at the men, but he said they turned as if they were coming back inside after him, so he opened fire, striking one of the suspects in the arm.

Jake Smith

Both suspects ran away and the homeowner called 911.

Officers found the wounded suspect, 24-year-old Shae Crump of Coeur d’Alene, with a gunshot wound at Kootenai Medical Center’s emergency room. He has charges pending for burglary.

Eli Skalak

Detectives are searching for two other suspects, 18-year-old Jake Smith of Hayden and 29-year-old Eli Skalak of Coeur d’Alene.

2. Remove Ads

Officers found the wounded suspect, 24-year-old Shae Crump of Coeur d’Alene, with a gunshot wound at Kootenai Medical Center’s emergency room. He has charges pending for burglary.
    It was an occupied home. Amazing that the charges aren't "home invasion," instead of mere "burglary," simply due to the extreme threat posed to the occupants.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It was an occupied home. Amazing that the charges aren't "home invasion," instead of mere "burglary," simply due to the extreme threat posed to the occupants.
    It could/should have been,"Three Found Dead Inside Home of Elderly Man (attempting a home invasion)."

I love the stories of the 'elderly' taking control of the situation.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    1) "Suspected burglar"? Uh, let's see - it was at night, and an intruder in the man's house with a couple of other intruders? Is there really any possibility that this was the confused Alzheimer's patient from across the street who simply wandered into the back door of his neighbor's house?

2) The homeowner made one mistake. Don't yell, just shoot.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'm not sure what "home invasion" means where you live, but the common law definition of "burglary" is, "the breaking and entering into the dwelling house of another in the night-time with the intention to commit a felony." The whole reason for that definition is that people are presumed to be present, in the "dwelling house", and not on their guard, sleeping, and defenseless in the night-time, and thus, the felon is presumed to be willing to kill the occupants. How is "home invasion" worse than that? (Btw, at common law, the same definition omitting the phrases, "in the night-time", and "to commit a felony", defines the crime of trespass, not burglary.)
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It could/should have been,"Three Found Dead Inside Home of Elderly Man (attempting a home invasion)."

I love them also, elderly folks don't take any crap!
    Last edited by rstickle; June 3rd, 2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Language workaround!

VIP Member
    ...I love the stories of the 'elderly' taking control of the situation.
    So! I guess you're almost referring to me...
    Anyhow, I'm glad the homeowner nailed one. At some point, the BG's are going to realize that more citizens are arming themselves. I suppose we have obama to thank for that, so not all is lost.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Gotta love this one. Im no detective but SUSPECTED?
    2A is not negotiable

Great story. Thanks for posting.

+1... I like your thinking...

Just reminds me, I need to take my Dad to do some range time with me.

Links