Editiorial on Walmart Shooting: Case clearly separates criminal mind from law abiding

This is a discussion on Editiorial on Walmart Shooting: Case clearly separates criminal mind from law abiding within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wal-Mart case clearly separates criminal mind from that of law-abiding armed citizen Seattle Gun Rights Examiner: Wal-Mart case clearly separates criminal mind from that of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Editiorial on Walmart Shooting: Case clearly separates criminal mind from law abiding

Editiorial on Walmart Shooting: Case clearly separates criminal mind from law abiding

Wal-Mart case clearly separates criminal mind from that of law-abiding armed citizen

Seattle Gun Rights Examiner: Wal-Mart case clearly separates criminal mind from that of law-abiding armed citizen

Let’s get this up front: One does not walk deliberately up to an armored car guard, aim a handgun at his face and unintentionally put a bullet through his head; a bullet that strikes an innocent bystander.
    But that is what 34-year-old Calvin Finley, one of four suspects in the brutal robbery/murder at the Lakewood Wal-Mart Tuesday, June 2 that left veteran guard Kurt Husted, 39, dead and customer Wilbert Pina wounded in the shoulder, is reportedly claiming in a court document that leaves one shuddering.
    Armed citizens carry guns not to commit heinous acts like this, but to defend themselves, and their loved ones and other innocents in the event they happen to be caught in the middle of a vicious crime. There are thousands upon thousands of cases in which a legally-armed citizen has interceded or prevented a violent crime. The Wal-Mart robbery was not one of these, but it does demonstrate that violent crime can happen anywhere, at any time and also that bad things can happen to good people, no matter how many laws are on the books.
    I discussed some of these cases in America Fights Back: Armed Self-Defense in a Violent Age, with co-author Alan Gottlieb. The Wal-Mart robbery/murder took place so fast, it is not likely an armed citizen would have been able to intervene.
    Finley and three other suspects were rounded up within 24 hours of the heist, and the aftermath of this crime has garnered demands from talk radio hosts and listeners that if ever there were a case for the death penalty to be carried out in the event the accused are found guilty, this is it. One talk host even volunteered to perform the lethal injection, though some of his listeners were more inclined toward hanging.

Finley pulls out a handgun and within two seconds of pulling out the gun he points it at the guard’s face and fires. The guard, wearing a bullet-proof best, collapses after being shot in the face between his nose and upper lip. Finley then calmly turns and exits the store. - Pierce County court document

Finley should not have had the gun he allegedly used. With a criminal record in Washington and Wisconsin that included, according to the Tacoma News Tribune, more than 20 convictions that included several felonies, among them second-degree assault and residential burglary. He also violated a domestic violence protection order. Every one of those crimes is a disqualifier for ever owning or possessing any kind of firearm, and if this event demonstrates anything, it is the futility of passing such laws, and passing them off as some sort of panacea to crime.
    But the “good news” if there is any: Finley now faces a charge of first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm. What do you bet that this charge has him just quaking in his shoes?
    The Seattle Times quoted an unidentified former girlfriend of Finley’s who tearfully said she knew one day he would kill somebody, but expected herself to be the victim.
    Arrested and charged with Finley are Tonie Marie Williams-Irby, 42, the Wal-Mart employee who allegedly masterminded this crime with her boyfriend, Odies D. Walker, 41. Also charged is a fourth alleged accomplice, 20-year-old Marshawn Turpin. Photographs of the three men appearing on the Seattle Post-Intelligencer’s website show Walker with an angry expression, while Turpin and Finley appear rather indifferent.
    Coverage of this crime in the News Tribune, Times and Post-Intelligencer is first-rate.
    Finley and Turpin face aggravated first-degree murder charges, plus charges of first-degree murder, first-degree robbery and first-degree assault. Walker and Williams-Irby face first-degree murder and first-degree robbery charges.

I knew he would kill someone someday," she said, "but I thought it would be me."
    - From the Seattle Times

If this bunch is guilty, the residents of Pierce County should sigh with relief that they are off the streets. The crime was so cold-blooded and alarming that it became a topic among armed citizens on the OpenCarry.org forum. This group promotes armed self-defense, and maintains a list of pro- and anti-gun businesses. Wal-Mart is on the pro-gun list.
    According to a document filed by Mark E. Lindquist, chief criminal deputy for the Pierce County Prosecutor’s office, after gunning down Husted and making off with the loot, Walker and Williams-Irby “went on a shopping spree and ate out at the Red Lobster, where they spent approximately $175.” Alleged triggerman Finley went to a Fife motel and Turpin went to visit a girlfriend.
    Williams-Irby attended company meetings where she learned the weekly and monthly income of the Lakewood Wal-Mart. She, Walker and Finley began planning the robbery and tried to recruit a man identified as Jesse Lewis to be the “triggerman,” but he declined. Lewis apparently told police that while he was with the trio, he saw three handguns, a .45 and two 9mm pistols, and also the Buick getaway car, which Walker told him not to touch (and leave fingerprints) because it was going to be used in the robbery.

I have seen the video tape of this murder, and there was no attempt to take that money peacefully. I did not see hesitation … this man was executed.” – Lakewood Police Lt. Heidi Hoffman

Walker was allegedly at the wheel of that car outside the Wal-Mart as Finley and Turpin went inside. Finley allegedly was slightly ahead of Turpin as they approached Husted. Finley pulled his gun, fired one round into the guard’s face. Husted, probably killed instantly, dropped to the floor and the papers allege that Turpin grabbed the money bags. Security camera images show two suspects leaving the store.
    It will be up to the courts to decide what ultimately happens to the four suspects, but according to Lindquist’s Declaration for Determination of Probable Cause, this perhaps best represents what the authorities are dealing with:
    “Finley told police that Irby-Williams and Walker received the larger cut because Irby-Walker worked at the Walmart. He was calm in the interview and admitted that he walked up to the guard and shot him in the face, but said the shooting wasn’t intentional.
    “Finley has two prior felony convictions, Assault in the Second Degree and Residential Burglary.
    “Turpin initially denied any involvement, even claiming it wasn’t him on the video. Eventually
    Turpin admitted he was involved and it was him on the video. A detective asked if there was anything he would like to say to the family of the dead guard if he had the opportunity.
    “He hung his head and said softly, ‘Sorry, I guess.’
    “The detective said, “You guess you’re sorry? A man was shot dead for money.”
    “I wouldn’t apologize. What would that do. He’s already gone.”
    “If you would have gotten away with this,” the detective asked, “how would you have felt?”
    “Bad, but, but I would have gotten over it because of the money.”
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

I would apply the Death Penalty to all four involved.

VIP Member
    He feels bad and is sorry. I would almost bet this is because he was caught, not because of what he did.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

does washington have a death penalty??
    I sure hope so

He's sorry alright. He is a sorry excuse for a human
    2A is not negotiable

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Pieces of human garbage. Incinerate 'em.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    I say Finley definitely deserves the death penalty, that was cold and calculated. The others at the very least deserve life with out parole.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I say Finley definitely deserves the death penalty, that was cold and calculated. The others at the very least deserve life with out parole.
    One pulled the trigger, the others went along on the spending spree with no feelings of remorse...all are equally guilty.

Four ropes please...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Bring back the gibbet !

bosco

I think life in prison with no chance of parole better punishment than immediate execution.
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Pieces of human garbage. Incinerate 'em.
    Yeah, slowly, very slowly !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    He feels bad and is sorry. I would almost bet this is because he was caught, not because of what he did.
    almost?,i would bet 100% because he got caught.i think all four should be executed publicly.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Bring back the gibbet !

bosco
    Can't we just use street lights?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by hk boy View Post
    does washington have a death penalty??
    I sure hope so
    Yes Washington State lets you chose the rope or the needle.
    Unfortualy the state will pay a lot of money to have him or them executed.
    It will come out of the already strapped state budget.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Bring back the gibbet !

bosco
    What's the gibbet?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links