Oops - Army SGT screwed up...

Oops - Army SGT screwed up...

This is a discussion on Oops - Army SGT screwed up... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Soldier jailed for flashing gun at kids | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional NEWSWEATHERTRAFFICSPORTSMIND & MONEYENTERTAINMENTOpinionVideoYouNewsMarketplaceKO MO 4 TVKOMO NewsradioKOMO4RewardsLocal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops - Army SGT screwed up...

Unhappy Oops - Army SGT screwed up...

Police: Soldier jailed for flashing gun at kids | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional

NEWSWEATHERTRAFFICSPORTSMIND & MONEYENTERTAINMENTOpinionVideoYouNewsMarketplaceKO MO 4 TVKOMO NewsradioKOMO4RewardsLocal & RegionalNational & WorldBusinessHealthTechnologyConsumerBoeingProblem SolversPolice: Soldier jailed for flashing gun at kids
    Tools
    0 Comments
    Email this articlePrint this articleYouNews™
    Digg this!Save to DeliciousPost to FacebookCloseStory Published: Jun 6, 2009 at 3:36 PM PDT

Story Updated: Jun 6, 2009 at 3:36 PM PDT
    By KOMO Staff WEST SEATTLE, Wash. - An apparently intoxicated Army sergeant was arrested after he displayed a revolver at a group of middle school students and yelled obscenities at them near Alki Beach Park.

Police responded to the scene, near 60th Avenue SW and Alki Avenue SW, at about 7 p.m. Friday.

Witnesses said the sergeant was walking with a female friend when he got into a confrontation with the young teens.

He hurled profanities at the teens and pulled up his shirt to display a holstered handgun, frightening the students and many onlookers who were nearby.

Officers located the sergeant about three blocks away and recovered a .357 magnum revolver from his waistband. He appeared to be under the influence of alcohol, and was also carrying a flask of whiskey, police said.

The suspect produced a US Army I.D., which identified him as a 25-year-old active-duty sergeant, and a concealed weapon permit issued by the state of Ohio.

After interviewing victims and witnesses, police determined that the display of the handgun did not appear reasonable in response to any real or perceived threats from the juveniles.

The suspect was arrested and booked into King County Jail for investigation of unlawful carrying and display of a weapon.

The sergeant's immediate commanding officer was contacted and made aware of the situation. The revolver and concealed weapon card were placed into evidence.
    Poor judgment from this NCO - wait until is 1SG gets a hold of him and his CO slaps an Article 15...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Yikes, reminds me of an incident with our church's (former Army Ranger) youth leader on our way to a function in Huntington Beach when I was about fourteen. Two black men accused him of being a white supremacist because of the crew cut and camouflage fatigues. This led to him chasing them down with a handgun and mace in full view of all of us kids (no shots were fired and he claimed the firearm was unloaded). That left an indelible impression on me At the time I thought he was so cool...

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    Police: Soldier jailed for flashing gun at kids | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional

Poor judgment from this NCO - wait until is 1SG gets a hold of him and his CO slaps an Article 15...
    Dang fool, should have known better. Yah, he's going to get it, wonder which way will hurt more. He's probably thinking real hard on that.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    Way to go Sergeant! Gave the gun haters just what they wanted with your drunkin' unprofessional behavior!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

"I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Good thing the we in the Army wear ACU now instead of BDU. It is easy to change ranks with velcro. I think the good sarge is sure to get his stripes busted for this one.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    There's always one in every crowd, isn't there? *sigh*
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

this in my opinion raises a few questions. Was he drunk? or did he just have alcohol on his breath? how many teens are we talking about that confronted him?

Not saying he was right in any way he had a laps in judgment and will pay for his mistake. I'm just wondering if the media isn't spinning this to be worse then it is. If were talking about the HS Def Line looking to run a train on this guys girl would he be justified?

Remember BG's are always such angels once you get to court and it was so wrong what the evil man with a gun did.

Just saying I myself need more info.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

The irony is, in many states, he does not need a concealed carry permit since he is active duty military...

Is he a Private now ?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    The irony is, in many states, he does not need a concealed carry permit since he is active duty military...
    Can you expound on this as it applies to the military, versus civilian, regarding state concealed handgun permits? Virginia has an exemption for Troopers who are on active duty, but not for 'just military'. Are you saying that many states exempt active duty military from the provisions of their concealed handgun laws?

And he would still be in trouble either way.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    As far as I am aware GA is the only state that allows active duty military to carry without a permit, when not in performance of official duties. Any reference as to other states that allow it?

VIP Member
    If he is convicted of the charges his military career is over. He will be facing a court martial board and probably a minimum of a bad conduct discharge.

BIG mistake, actually...HUGE!
    He is going to pay a tremendous price for a few moments of stupidity.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yep, the NCO messed up big time. For every soldier with a CCW who messes up there are at least 20 civilians with CCWs who mess up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links