CHL Man kills attempted carjacker in NE Houston - Page 4

CHL Man kills attempted carjacker in NE Houston

This is a discussion on CHL Man kills attempted carjacker in NE Houston within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by rhrocket22 I think he has problems, how can you fear for your life when you approached a second time. The shooter wasn't ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rhrocket22 View Post
    I think he has problems, how can you fear for your life when you approached a second time.
    The shooter wasn't attacked until after he approached the BG the second time. I doubt he feared for his life before that; he was merely trying to stop a car thief when the BG started a fight. That's when he defended himself.

Regardless of the law, and assuming the article accurately reflects the facts, I would consider this a justified shooting.

Texas is a whole different animal (I love living here!). From the information gathered thus far, it appears he should be fine. He tried on two occasions to bring law enforcement into play. He confronted the guy (not illegal), and the guy attacked him. Texas law deals with "perceived threat" not just the threat. If the man was in fear of harm, which it looks like he was, he should be fine.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Quote Originally Posted by SPACE COWBOY View Post
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? After several failed attempts at breaking into cars and not getting anything, it would have been SOMEONES WIFE AND CHILD on the way out to the car to go to WORK (something this loser did not seem to want to do) that would have been robbed or worse. I CRY NO TEARS FOR THIS SCUM BAG! Keep that "loss of human life... reasons why the BG was being a BG" [Edited]! I have kids to feed, a big ass house to pay for, really nice cars to afford and a crap load of guns... uh... toys to pay for. I go to work! Regardless of what the BG's problems were, he doesn't have the right to mess with my things or affect my quality of life. My life doesn't work without my wife. My life is enriched by my boys and no man has the right to [Edited] with either! I do not agree with your opinion. When the BG came down MY street, he choose to part with his life. I worked for the money that bought that pack of gum, I will take your life over it. WELCOME TO TEXAS!
    Are you forgetting who won the election? Whatever you worked hard for is owed to those who chose not to work. lol

Quote Originally Posted by rhrocket22 View Post
    I think he has problems, how can you fear for your life when you approached a second time. While I dont think the shooter was the aggressor, I do think its going to be hard to prove your life was in danger. Good Luck!!!!!
    It doesnt matter if he was in fear for his life at that time. He was legally and justifiably intervening in a felony being commited in his presence.

Some of the posts on this thread make me afraid to even yell stop thief, or yell at someone committing some other crime. If I did and the BG took offense with my yelling at him you act like I'm in the wrong. The BG was the instigator in this, no one else.

Michael

For those of you who seem offended by some of the "pro-shooting" posts here, understand you are on a site called "Defensive Carry". I can see where some of the comments posted may come off as crass and unfeeling, but this isn't church site or book club. It's a site for discussions about carrying a firearm for defensive purposes.

How well would the following situation sit with you?
    You've already confronted the guy attempting to break into your vehicle. You witness him attack another person in the parking lot and you call the police. Time passes. You go back inside and hope for the best. Later on, you find out that one of your neighbors was killed by the same man during his nth attempt to commit a felony.
    I'm not saying it's your responsibility to police the neighborhood, but you actually witnessed this guy attack someone else, after attacking you. Assuming you're capable, you wouldn't feel obligated to do something?

The BG wasn't shot in the back, he was shot in the chest.

I don't see him doing anything wrong. I am wondering if I am reading the same story as some of the previous posters. I will be surprised if he is not no-billed by the Grand Jury.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    To All:

Down here in Texas we don't care about your life experience or how bad you have had things in life.

With that being said, I will continue; Life is about choices. Everyday you make a choice that can potentially affect the rest of your life, like when you decide to get married or have children. This individual chose to burglarize cars and harass people and attempt to carjack someone's vehicle.

They used to hang horse thieves down here in the good old days. I admire the guy and his wife for having the stones to stand up to this cretin and give him his due. My only problem with them was attempting to save the BG after they shot him. Not because they felt guilty about shooting him, but of the health hazards regarding disease, etc. Better left to EMS folks.

As far as whether he will be charged or not, I doubt it seriously even more so than Joe Horn. Joe Horn had police on the way. These folks called twice and got no response. The BG in question didn't leave after confronted and caught, he simply moved on to other potential victims, with no intention whatsoever of stopping. When he was physically restrained from committing further crimes, he became violent and got what he deserved.

Really, people we should be cheering this guy and buying him a beer. I guess it just shows how far we have slipped morally as a country when people even think this guy should be charged with any crime......
    We need more people like him!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

For those that don't like how we deal with criminals here in Texas, I think I speak for most of us here when I say that you are more than welcome to drive down here, pick a few of them up and take them back to your place. Then you can treat them how ever you want to. I am sure they would appreciate you coming to their rescue.
    Nothing personal, but unless you are a Texan and registered to vote here, your opinion of our laws on the use of deadly force means precisely squat. The law is what the law is.
    If you want to come here, you are more than welcome to. However if you do come here, you might want to study chapter nine of the Texas Penal code. That spells out plainly what you do not want to be caught doing in Texas. If you do get caught doing those specified offenses, you may very well get shot for it. If you don't like it, don't come here.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaw504 View Post
    You've already confronted the guy attempting to break into your vehicle. You witness him attack another person in the parking lot and you call the police. Time passes. You go back inside and hope for the best. Later on, you find out that one of your neighbors was killed by the same man during his nth attempt to commit a felony.
    I'm not saying it's your responsibility to police the neighborhood, but you actually witnessed this guy attack someone else, after attacking you. Assuming you're capable, you wouldn't feel obligated to do something?
    This is where you just can't win in the eyes of the public. If the above took place, the masses would respond: "Why didn't he do something about it? He was armed and capable of stopping that guy. He could've saved his neighbor's life. Shame on him!"

On the other hand, had you intervened and killed the BG, the masses would respond: "Why did he have to kill the guy? He just wanted the car. It's not worth taking a life over a car. Shame on him!"

There are some that seem to believe no matter what you do, it's not what you should've done. If the outcome is the taking of another life or some other horrible event, it could've been prevented by taking some other action. Not every scenario has a path to a happy ending.

The car jacker didn't get the message the first time. This guy had to be on drugs or totally wiped out on booze. You have to give the shooter credit for trying to save the BG

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Do you know my life story???? Maybe I have had dealings with enough BG's to color my world this way. And on the "people get desperate" comment, do you know how desperate was the VICTOM, (aka shooter) here. If he lost his car maybe he could not work and feed his family, maybe it was the only thing he had left, see you don't know his situation either. The BG had a chance to walk away the first time, and did not.

McDonalds, Burger King, exc. are always hiring, he had choices and chose wrong.

Bottom line, am I glad he is dead---no, I just wish they would not put themselves in that situation to happen. I do happen to agree with Texas law----If property is not worth defending then why have it??
    If you would read my post you would see I never stated what he did wasn’t wrong. The “Attempted Car Jacking” portion was long over before this guy got shot. This “BG” put himself in the situation – regardless of why he was committing a crime. But the shooter also, IN MY OPINION, unnecessarily joined in – ultimately taking the life of the said BG. If one can avoid the situation of pulling the firearm– one needs to. If it were to go to trial – a jury should obey the law – and in Texas he could very well be legally innocent. But that will not protect him from civil suits and the cost of defending both. Nor does it make it ethically right.

My comments were actually relating to your comments. The loss of life and how you needed pepper spray to invoke said emotions. Makes me want to puke. And anyone with your mentality should not be carrying a firearm – PERIOD! I do not care who it is – it is a loss of life. If one has to do it to protect themselves or loved ones, then so be it. But if anyone gets amused by the loss of life – then that individual is twisted.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    If it were to go to trial – a jury should obey the law – and in Texas he could very well be legally innocent. But that will not protect him from civil suits and the cost of defending both.
    just info.....but if a shoot is ruled a legal one then shooter can't be sued in civil court, new law that came in effect Sep 2007
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    just info.....but if a shoot is ruled a legal one then shooter can't be sued in civil court, new law that came in effect Sep 2007
    I didn't know that.

VIP Member
    CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE
    TITLE 4. LIABILITY IN TORT
    CHAPTER 83. USE OF DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON

Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 235, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
    Amended by: Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1, Sec. 4, eff. September 1, 2007.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links