BREAKING NEWS: Police: Two people shot at Holocaust museum in Washington, D.C.

This is a discussion on BREAKING NEWS: Police: Two people shot at Holocaust museum in Washington, D.C. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; i hope this incident changes the no carry law in DC...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Police: Two people shot at Holocaust museum in Washington, D.C.

i hope this incident changes the no carry law in DC
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sirdarksoul View Post
    CNN just had Mark Potok from the Southern Poverty Law Center on. He opined that this is the beginning of a resurgence of the Militia movement. Why do I suddenly fear a 1990's style assault on 2nd Amendment rights?
    It all depends on whether or not his gun looked scary.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

VIP Member
    I went to the Holocaust museum a couple of years ago, most of the buildings in DC had armed guards and metal detectors, etc. In fact the whole thing seemed like airport type security in lots of places. IIRC the major foyer to the Holocaust is a big room, I'm guessing that the shooting took place at the entrance to that big room. I think the exhibits are on upper floors from there.

My Dad in WWII did not see any concentration camps, but he came across evidence of the Holocaust so I heard his story about it all of my life.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Ron
    I think that you are mssing the point here. Ranting about the ineffectiveness of "No Carry zones" is fine, and I agree, but this was a place with heavy security and the guard shot was armed.

The shooter, a known racist and anti-semite, from what I read started shooting
    as soon as he entered the building.

So, being armed, although always wise, unfortunately is no guarantee that you wont be a victim.

We live in an increasingly scary world.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

[QUOTE=nutz4utwo;1181276]It is a shame that a gaurd was shot. My thoughts go out to their family.

It is GREAT that they stopped this guy so quickly. The Jewish museums take their security seriously and don't fool around. A lot of people could have been killed had they not responded so quickly. I hope the politicians realize it

We have a convicted felon, illegally possessing a firearm, in a city that bans all firearms, walking past metal detectors... none of those things stopped the man. A good guy with a gun did! 'nuff said!

I have no problem disarming for a sterile area with metal detectors and xray.[/QUOTE

Now THAT is the truth!!!!
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I enjoy the historical part of DC, but the city itself you couldn't drag me through.
    I appreciate there may be history to be seen, but I won't go there in this lifetime. Not until the cesspool is drained.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I appreciate there may be history to be seen, but I won't go there in this lifetime. Not until the cesspool is drained.
    I don't like the fact that I can't carry in DC and other places. However, I'm not going to let that keep from seeing places that have historical or other significant features. I think that is analogous to what the terrorists want when they do their thing. I carry where I can and I take my chances in places where I can't. I'm not going to stop living and seeing because the world is full of scum bags. That's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    I'm not going to stop living ...
    Neither am I. But D.C. simply has nothing to offer of interest, sufficient to offset the morass of contradictions that the place represents. And that has nothing to do with "terrorism" or criminals.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdarksoul View Post
    CNN just had Mark Potok from the Southern Poverty Law Center on. He opined that this is the beginning of a resurgence of the Militia movement.
    To anyone with a brain that isn't mush, as his must be, to use this singular event as a leap to that far off conclusion would be simply stupid.

This is simply yet another case of crazy person with mental and emotional issues acting out at an imagined 'foe' following what is very commonly with these people years if not even decades or a lifetime in his case of unstable and irrational thought patterns and actual behaviors.

There are a whole mess of persons akin to him walking our streets, working amongst us on the job, sleeping in homes that share the same street location of ours and who attend our churches and break bread with us at our tables too.
    Some of them own guns, lawfully. Others own motor vehicles (see the crazy fool who flew his light aircraft Kamikaze style into the White House back in the 90s). And a whole bunch of them will and do by any means necessary make attempt to break laws without any regard to consequences or even if their plan is remotely plausible and sensical.

Crazy people doing crazy things acting crazy are everywhere, and not just amongst so called militas or posting crazy talk on the internets.

Of all people from of all organizations Mark Potok should know this as fact...and not be spouting off with other such sideways garbage talk.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

what resurgence of militia movement? some organizations just love to put a lot of BS spin on their appearance in the media. if this is the case, then maybe they should ban or track crazy, failed artists w/c this perp is reported to be.

I guess he had some kind of death wish assaulting a well guarded building with a .22.

being a guard in D.C. is probably not the safest job in the area. if you folks remember, there was also that capitol building shooting when a perp shot a guard with a .38 and entered the building and exchanged shots with another LEO within the building.

RIP to officer Johns and kudos to his buddies for the headshots in taking out this racist POS.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Apparently this guy was arrested previously and spent five years in Federal prison for attempted kidnapping of Federal officials. I highly, highly doubt that any of the arms he possessed he possessed legally.

There should be some places where citizens should not be allowed to carry. People visiting prisons, jails and court rooms. They need someway to stop or have a means to stop bad people from attempting breakouts, passing of weapons or shooting people/jurists judges doing trials.

The guards did their jobs with the utmost professionalism. Acted in a timely manor to take this guy out. They weren't just show pieces to comfort the masses.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I work nights and was unable to sleep yesterday so I was sorta hypnotized by the breaking coverage for a few hours. I wasn't really surprised that Potok showed up and started rambling about militias and hate groups and showing a map with dots representing over 900 active militias and hate groups in the US. He and Morris Dees seem to show up as commentators on CNN regarding every high profile shooting. I was sorta surprised tho as ID of the weapon von Broun used evolved. At first they were saying he used a shotgun, then a 22, then finally a LONG rifle with the emphasis on LONG as if it were some sort of magical, super powerful thing.

I've been imagining what it would sound like if the media latched on to the words Long rifle like they did ASSAULT rifle a bit over a decade ago.....

What IS this 22 LONG rifle? A bullet so versatile it can be fired from anything from a DERRINGER to a SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL to a HIGH VELOCITY HUNTING RIFLE! So small and light that thousands can be transported in a child's backpack. A favorite of poachers! Many have been killed in bar fights by the 22 LONG RIFLE! (speaker holds up a Ruger 10/22 with a 50 round mag and a 100 round Calico pistol if one can still be found) 22 LONG RIFLE weapons often hold from 50 to 100 bullets and wiill fire as fast as you can pull the trigger! Silenced guns have been made for this caliber! Some manufactures mount a 22 LONG RIFLE barrel on a shotgun frame giving shooters 2 weapons for the price of one! Military units WORLDWIDE use variations on this caliber! Many gun nuts give these devastating 22 LONG RIFLE weapons to their CHILDREN as their first weapon. We must rid the nation of this scourge!

*takes off tinfoil hat thinking this is what I get for not sleeping*
    Last edited by sirdarksoul; June 11th, 2009 at 04:22 AM. Reason: typo

D.C. will attack this incident with another law...a "No Parking w/Firearm" sign in front of the museum.
    Yep, that should work.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is horrible. The POS got what he deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I have no problem disarming for a sterile area with metal detectors and xray.
    This was a sterile area with metal detectors. All he had to do was kill the guard that was manning the scanner. Only way they can absolutely prevent people from getting into a place with a gun is to have machine gun emplacements behind bullet proof shields and security guards who are ex-special forces. Too expensive and sort of legally iffy when you consider that this is America, not Nazi Germany :P

Sorry for the rant :P
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links