BREAKING NEWS: Police: Two people shot at Holocaust museum in Washington, D.C. - Page 3

BREAKING NEWS: Police: Two people shot at Holocaust museum in Washington, D.C.

This is a discussion on BREAKING NEWS: Police: Two people shot at Holocaust museum in Washington, D.C. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's what I think you'll see as far as security at the Museum - people will enter a waiting room which is surrounded by bullet-resistant ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Police: Two people shot at Holocaust museum in Washington, D.C.

VIP Member
    Here's what I think you'll see as far as security at the Museum - people will enter a waiting room which is surrounded by bullet-resistant glass. They will then pass through metal detectors and x-ray machines before entering the museum.

All that's happening is they're moving the secure zone farther and farther out.

Something like this is almost impossible to prevent but the lesson we can learn is that we have to be prepared at ANY time for ANYthing.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    This is horrible. The POS got what he deserved.

This was a sterile area with metal detectors. All he had to do was kill the guard that was manning the scanner. Only way they can absolutely prevent people from getting into a place with a gun is to have machine gun emplacements behind bullet proof shields and security guards who are ex-special forces. Too expensive and sort of legally iffy when you consider that this is America, not Nazi Germany :P

Sorry for the rant :P
    No problem.

The zone between uncontrolled and controlled is always a weak link. I see no real way to stop someone from doing this sort of thing (run up and start shooting) at the first contact of security.

I just mean that I respect true sterile zones and feel comfortable and content when inside. I do believe courthouses, aircraft, and other sensitive locations should be sterile and I will respectfully disarm.

some details emerge

If I read the charging documents right, von Brunn got off three shots (.22LR), the first of which hit SPO Brown in the "left, upper chest." The following two shots missed any human targets.

The two SPOs who returned fire got off eight shots (.38) total. One of which hit von Brunn in the face, ending the fight. Given that the wound is described as "a gunshot wound" (singular), it would appear that the other seven rounds missed.

Thoughts and prayers for all those affected by this horrible event.

Crowds. Element of surprise. Madman with agenda and weapon, but a tradgedy that was squashed before it got out of hand.

Even in an "anti-gun" town, this sort of thing is bound to happen. Good part is that it didn't turn into the multiple wounded or killed scene, like the nutcase who shot the immigrants-turned-victims, who had no firearm protection.

At the very least, only one tragic death occured in this incident when there could have been many. Not that his death is acceptable, it isn't, but we see that when responsible people with firearms and the training to use them, act, it gives merit to the idea that as trained and responsible people, we can stop a tragedy before it moves into monumental proportions.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Only way they can absolutely prevent people from getting into a place with a gun is to have machine gun emplacements behind bullet proof shields and security guards who are ex-special forces. Too expensive and sort of legally iffy when you consider that this is America, not Nazi Germany :P
    Gecko45 (Mall Ninja) would have been all over this one

That "Man" had a deathwish. Sickofants and other lowlifes like him will continue to do things like this DESPITE any new gun control legislation. Liberal media will try to spin this for all its worth to cull the sheep into agreeing that more gun laws would have prevented it.

What a joke.....Put up another sign while you are at it
    2A is not negotiable

Obviously the handgun ban is working, as the criminal used a rifle. Good to see the criminals are obeying the rules. The left wing liberals must be onto something.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

[QUOTE=Raider39a;1181732]

"I guess he had some kind of death wish assaulting a well guarded building with a .22. "

From his age and past history sounds like Von Supremist was looking for the "death by LEO" exit along with the added bonus that his twisted friends could blame the whole event on those damn "Jews". A 22 Long Rifle ? Really ? He was committing suicide, pure and simple. Even in that he failed (well, so far).
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    Gecko45 (Mall Ninja) would have been all over this one

That "Man" had a deathwish. Sickofants and other lowlifes like him will continue to do things like this DESPITE any new gun control legislation. Liberal media will try to spin this for all its worth to cull the sheep into agreeing that more gun laws would have prevented it.

What a joke.....Put up another sign while you are at it
    My point was that gun control doesn't work.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

VIP Member

Does Holocaust Shooting Validate Homeland Security Report?

Federal Eye - Eye Opener: Does Holocaust Shooting Validate Homeland Security Report?

Eye Opener: Does Holocaust Shooting Validate Homeland Security Report?

Happy Thursday! Did that controversial Homeland Security report on right-wing extremists (pdf) get it right? Several bloggers, commentators and news reports suggest it did, accurately predicting the deadly shooting at the Holocaust Museum.

"Civil rights activists say a string of recent attacks blamed on right-wing extremists, including Wednesday’s shooting at the Holocaust Museum, show that conservative critics were too quick to fault the Department of Homeland Security over an April report warning about the potential for such violence," reports Politico.

(Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.)

Homeland Security's Office of Intelligence and Analysis distributed the report (pdf) to state and local law enforcement on April 7. It regularly publishes intelligence analyses on domestic and international threats to the nation’s borders and infrastructure.

Though the report did not cite specific threats, it suggested that “The possible passage of new restrictions on firearms and the return of military veterans facing significant challenges reintegrating into their communities could lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lone wolf extremists capable of carrying out violent attacks.”

Secretary Janet Napolitano later apologized directly to veterans' groups, admitting the report's language unfairly characterized military servicemembers.

Yesterday's shooter, James W. von Brunn, was a military veteran and professed white supremacist with elaborate conspiracy theories and an active Web site. An acquaintance said von Brunn thought his Social Security benefits had been cut as a direct result of government officials tracking his activities.

The DHS report explicitly addressed white supremacists, writing that, "Threats from white supremacist and violent anti-government groups during 2009 have been largely rhetorical and have not indicated plans to carry out violent acts. Nevertheless, the consequences of a prolonged economic downturn -- including real estate foreclosures, unemployment, and an inability to obtain credit -- could create a fertile recruiting environment for rightwing extremists and even result in confrontations between such groups and government authorities similar to those in the past."

"In the past two weeks, the country has seen the bombing of a Starbucks coffee shop in New York City, the arrest of four men for allegedly plotting to blow up synagogues and shoot down planes, the shooting of two soldiers at an Army recruitment center in Arkansas, the assassination of a doctor inside a Kansas church, and the shooting at the Holocaust Museum," writes Alex Kingsbury of U.S. News and World Report. "Although these are not all cases of right-wing extremism, each is an example of domestic terrorism."

As CBS' Charles Cooper wrote yesterday afternoon, "Connecting the dots is guaranteed to be a contentious, if not fraught exercise. But as the news filtered out, some liberal bloggers did not hesitate to draw conclusions."

A sampling:

"I hope that everyone who mau-maued the Department of Homeland Security for expressing concern about this kind of thing feels appropriately ashamed of themselves," Matthew Yglesias wrote.

"The Republican hysteria over the DHS report -- which was, by the way, initiated by a Bush administration official -- was always based more on a partisan scheme than reality, but the incessant complaints look especially misguided today," writes Washington Monthly's Steve Benen.

Talking Points Memo took a more fact-driven path, lining up evidence it suggests validates the report's findings.

But blogger Matthew Vadum called these allegations "the worst kind of smear" and "par for the course for the left."

"None of this changes the fact that Napolitano's politically motivated directive was wrong then and remains wrong now," he wrote, stating later that the report "was a malicious un-American smear calculated to ridicule and intimidate opponents of the left's policy goals."

Still, one wonders what it will be like around the Office of Intelligence and Analysis today.

Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links