Police shoot 15 y.o. girl after robbery (SC)

This is a discussion on Police shoot 15 y.o. girl after robbery (SC) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police Shoot, Kill Teenage Girl After Robbery - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte Police Shoot, Kill Teenage Girl After Robbery Posted: 10:36 pm EDT ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Police shoot 15 y.o. girl after robbery (SC)

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Police Shoot, Kill Teenage Girl After Robbery - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Police Shoot, Kill Teenage Girl After Robbery

Posted: 10:36 pm EDT June 4, 2009Updated: 11:00 pm EDT June 4, 2009
    ROCK HILL, S.C. -- South Carolina state detectives are investigating the fatal shooting of 15-year-old Rock Hill girl by a city police officer.

Police believe Yvetta Williams robbed the Park Grocery on East Main Street Thursday afternoon. A clerk at the store said she had a gun and got away with hundreds of dollars. Before she got too far, police shot at her.

One witness said he heard five gunshots.

"All I know is I heard three gunshots fired at first, 'pow pow pow', and later on, two gunshots, 'pow, pow',"said store clerk Lorenzo Wells.

Police were still on the scene late into the night Thursday but offered little more information about what happened.

Eyewitness News spoke to the family of Yvette Williams. They wouldn't talk about the armed robbery, or if she had any criminal history. They said they were still in shock from the news.

"I couldn't do nothing but cry and call her name, why?", said Tia Williams.

"I can't really say nothing else, but it's wrong. You wouldn't expect nothing like this," said cousin Lakeshia Williams.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    They were CLEARED today. +1 for the PD, -1 for the BGs.

Rock Hill Officers Cleared In Death Of Teen - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Rock Hill Officers Cleared In Death Of Teen

Posted: 2:17 pm EDT June 10, 2009Updated: 6:59 pm EDT June 10, 2009
    ROCK HILL, S.C. -- Eyewitness News got to watch a graphic, disturbing police video Wednesday afternoon. It shows the shooting and the death of 15-year-old Yvette Williams from start to finish. It lasted less than a minute.

"I think people should know the truth. It's right there on video for everybody to see," said 16th Circuit Solicitor Kevin Brackett, who made the decision to show the video to a room full of reporters. His condition was that it would not be shown or broadcast anywhere.

"I want to respect the Williams family. I don't want this on youtube where it'll get 500,000 hits, and be someone's entertainment, watching a 15-year-old girl get shot," he said. "And that's what will certainly happen."

Williams was shot by Rock Hill police moments after they said she robbed the Park Grocery on East Main Street on June 4..

The video from that store shows Williams waiting for several minutes inside, then pulling the gun, and taking hundreds of dollars from the clerk.

Several 911 callers including the clerk describe seeing Williams walk away down Main Street still holding the gun in her hand. In one 911 call, the clerk describes the gun several times as a 9 mm. Only after Williams' death did officers learn it was just a real-looking BB gun.

The dash camera from the car of Officer Carlos Culbreath shows him pulling up to the curb, and you see Williams has already turned and pointed the gun at him. Culbreath crouches behind his door and fires. You hear the shots, and see Williams fall on her behind. She still has her arm raised, and the gun pointed at Culbreath.

There are more shots fired, this time also from Officer Mac McCarley, who has arrived to help.

During the second volley of shots, Williams slumps over onto her back. Officer Culbreath moves forward, gun drawn, and you can see Williams start kicking her legs, trying to turn over. The gun is now beside her on the grass. She rolls over and grabs it once again, as Culbreath is yelling, "Show your hands!" "Show your hands!" She has the gun in her hand as he fires two final shots.

Brackett said that 11 shots were fired at Williams during those three volleys. She was struck in the left shoulder, right arm, and then the finally the head.

Immediately, Culbreath walks up and grabs the gun. You can see his reaction. He curses, realizing the gun is too light to be real. It's a BB gun.

He appears to cry out, then gazes from side to side, staggering a little, obviously overcome emotionally by what has just happened.

Police Chief John Gregory said officers Culbreath and McCarley acted to save their lives, and as far as they knew, the lives of others “They did the right thing. There's no doubt, but they'll have to deal with this for the rest of their lives,” he said.

Brackett said real life isn't like the movies. Officers don't have to say “freeze” or “drop the gun” before they shoot.

"If you point a gun at an officer, and you endanger that officer, don't expect to be given a chance to drop the gun, you will be shot. They don't have to wait until you open fire and somebody gets killed before taking action. The law is very clear."

Brackett said it was obvious the officers should be cleared of any wrongdoing. "This is not even a close call," he said.

Reporters were also shown a still picture of the grass near Williams' body. It showed a large wad of cash, taken from the grocery store.

Outside the conference room, where the video was shown, Eyewitness News spoke with Pastor Seth Crosby. He performed the funeral for Williams Tuesday, and watched the video with her father just before reporters saw it.

"She was a great person," Crosby said. He'd known her for the last three months, when she was court-ordered to attend a program for at-risk youth that he runs at his church. He described Williams as troubled, but improving, and making positive changes.

"That's not her," Crosby said. "I know, I talked to her. I knew her. That's not her." Crosby added that he feels like someone put Williams up to the robbery, because she wouldn't have acted alone. So far, police have no evidence of that, but they are still investigating the crime.

"If I find that someone else was involved, I will prosecute that person with all of my might," Brackett said.

He urged the community to wake up, and start asking questions about how this could happen, and find ways to make sure it never happens again.

In a disgusted voice, he added, "This was a 15-year-old girl who was robbing a grocery store, and was shot down in the streets of Rock Hill. Nobody in Rock Hill should be proud of that."

Eyewitness News went to Williams' home to ask her parents about the two officers being cleared in the incident. Her father waved us away, said "have a nice day," and quietly closed the door.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how these people fail to hold themselves or their kin responsible for poor life choices. Even after watching the police video they still deny the facts.
    Glock2201 likes this.

VIP Member
    Very sad for all involved and the Community. Where were the Parents ?.

It's their job to know were the 15 year old is and what She is doing.

Maybe this gal wanted to commit suicide but didn't have the guts to do it herself. So, go get a BB gun, rob a store, run out and then wait for the Police to come and do the job. Sad, but it could be the motivation for all that happend. She could have been a "good girl" but just couldn't deal with life.

Rock Hill is just down the road from where my brother lives.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; June 11th, 2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: add a word
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Bad, bad for the officers involved & the girl's family. Another example of going against one of Commandments: Thou Shalt Not Steal.
    SCGunLover1

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    WOW I feel for that girls family and for that officer that will live with shooting this kid........my prayers for them.......kids just don't realize how quickly a life is gone.....we have no assurance of a tomorrow..
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Good for the LEOs.

15 Year olds with a gun can be just as dangerous as 20, or 25, or 80 year olds. Where is this girls parenting? BB guns look real enough to me.

I bet this video will still make its way to the internet. Someone will file a Freedom of Info Act request and it will have to be released. 16th Circuit Solicitor Kevin Brackett will only be able to keep it private temporarily. Transparency is a good thing.

What a waste.. Truly is a shame.. Whatever was her motive,... Still a shame.. If they find out someone else was behind it, I hope they get the book hard.. Sad for sure..

Sad, but not a bad conclusion. It's tough that there are so many super young people who do crime, especially violent crime like this. It was only a matter of time until she killed someone.

It's just hard to understand why someone would make such poor decisions instead of just finishing school and getting some sort of job. Doesn't matter if its only at McDonalds - that's still a guaranteed paycheck and you're actually giving back to society, and opening up more opportunities for yourself.

Sad to hear, but that's it ends up when you live a life like that. Whether it was now, or when she was 25 on a street corner after getting robbed and stabbed after being a street walker, such a life has a high mortality rate.

What a great kid!
    Yeah right...

"She was a great person," Crosby said. He'd known her for the last three months, when she was court-ordered to attend a program for at-risk youth that he runs at his church. He described Williams as troubled, but improving, and making positive changes.

I wonder what the positive changes were, a more detailed robbery plan?

If you can rob like an adult, be prepared to die like an adult.

I see students with this kind of ability daily...their attitudes and lack of any moral compass is like a 'crystal ball' into the future.
    They think and talk of 'easy money', the they seem to negate the retirement plan...jail or death.

The parents of this little dirtbag deserve lots of the credit. They didn't know what their little darlin' was up to? I bet she was just an angel at school, too.
    I doubt that this was her first time at the 'candy counter'.

I hope the cops can put this behind them.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The only persons I feel sorry for are the officers.
    This will be on them for life. :|

As to the girl she made her choice and as a result she was chastised.
    Her age is of no regard, here.
    To her parents possibly she was just not right in the mind and nothing could have been done or said. Such people are born. Or possibly they as parents let her down long ago, before three months ago and even prior to her last birthday.
    No one but them and God will ever know for sure.

A pity.

- Janq
    Fitch likes this.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

This is sad but the leo had no other choice.

Well I feel sad for the LEO but I have to point out that out of 11 shots only 3 hit the target.Its a good thing the gun was a BB gun or one or more of the officers could have been shot.

The fact that there is no community outrage about her poor parenting (Only outrage about LEO involvement) is indicative of her upbringing and her environment.

Unfortunately, as long as people keep saying "It takes a VILLAGE To Raise A Child" Instead of a PARENT....this will continue to be the same unfortunate outcome.
    2A is not negotiable

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links