BAD off duty police officer shot in St Louis

This is a discussion on BAD off duty police officer shot in St Louis within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is about 2 blocks from where I work. "ST. LOUIS MO ( KPLR ) - A St. Louis City Police Officer has been shot. ...

Thread: BAD off duty police officer shot in St Louis

This is about 2 blocks from where I work.

"ST. LOUIS MO ( KPLR ) - A St. Louis City Police Officer has been shot. Details are sketchy, but officers are responding to the area around Enright and Grand. That's in Mid-City just north of St. Louis University.

The shooting happened around 6:30 Thursday evening. Police are searching for suspects in the area at this hour.

Witnesses say the off-duty officer appeared to be the target of a robbery. Two armed men approached him, when the officer pulled a gun of his own. Witnesses report at least a dozen shots were fired between the men. The two suspects are then said to have fled.

Witnesses report the officer was speaking to police who responded and was able to walk himself to the ambulance. His wound was in the abdomen.

Police are reportedly looking for two men, both between the ages of 17 and twenty. They are described as African-American males, dark complected, both between 5'7" and 5'8" tall. One is said to be visibly taller than the other. One of the two was wearing a long sleeved gray sweatshirt. One of them may be wounded.

Stay tuned to News 11 and KPLR11.com for any new details. "

Life is quickly becoming much more complicated for individuals who defend themselves, God help those who can't defend themselves.
    Here is an 'off duty' cop who was a victim of the scumbags that now roam everywhere. When a cop gets robbed , things are coming apart quickly.

Too bad he couldn't have arranged two 'dirtnaps'.

Stay armed...get training...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 12th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I hope they turn up in a hospital or gutter somewhere.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    +1...
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Or a morgue.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I've told my daughter before that I may have the right to walk around downtown St. Louis at night counting my money, but it may not be the smartest thing to do. In a perfect world, yes--but this ain't a perfect world.

Nothing illegal about the officer cashing his check in that part of town, but I sure wouldn't do it, not even in daylight. Recently I went to an event at a place near the shooting. Just a minute or two north on Grand and the hair on the back of my neck started standing up. We had just enough time to get to the event, and I didn't get the map out and look for the best route. I just followed mapquest which took me to I-70, and then south for several miles on Grand.

Not a good place for a stranger to be.

Anyway, some say the area where the theater is located is a good area. Maybe, as long as you don't go a minute or two north.

What do you think, Harvthesecon? Would you cash a check in that area?

Glad the officer appears to be okay.

Officer released from hospital; one of 2 suspects in custody - STLtoday.com
    Officer released from hospital; one of 2 suspects in custody

June 11, 2009 -- A St.Louis police officer places evidence markers near the corner of North Grand Boulevard and Enright, where a police officer was shot. (David Carson/P-D)By Greg Jonsson
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    06/11/2009

UPDATED, 7:30 a.m.

ST. LOUIS -- An off-duty police officer shot in the abdomen after cashing his paycheck Thursday has been released from St. Louis University Hospital. And one of two suspects has been arrested after showing up at a hospital for a gunshot wound, police say.

Police say the suspect was wounded when the officer returned fire.

The officer, a 48-year-old man who has been on the force for 23 years, was shot once in the lower abdomen about 6:30 p.m. Thursday outside the Currency Exchange, at 900 North Grand Boulevard. The officer's name has not been released.

Police confirmed Friday morning that one suspect -- a 17-year-old man -- was arrested late Thursday after he was dropped off at a local hospital about 8 p.m. to be treated for the gunshot wound to his lower back, just above the buttocks. He is in serious condition. The wounded officer identified him as one of the assailants.

St. Louis Police Chief Dan Isom said the officer "did an outstanding job protecting himself and gave a very thorough description of the suspects."

The officer was not in uniform but was carrying his gun when he went to the Currency Exchange to cash his paycheck. On the parking lot, two teens approached him and tried to rob him. One of the teens had a gun.

The officer tried to take cover behind his car and draw his weapon, and one of the teens shot at the officer, Isom said. The officer shot back and the teens ran away, heading east on Enright. The officer chased them for a time before calling police.

Police found a gun they think the teens tossed. The teens also shed clothing as they ran. Police have recovered some of that. Nearby security cameras may have caught the crime on tape, and Isom said detectives would be checking them for clues.

The shooting was on the east side of Grand, just north of Powell Symphony Hall and east of the Veterans Administration Hospital. Isom said that customers coming out of check-cashing businesses can offer a tempting target for robbers. He said the business the officer had used had seen previous holdups of customers.

The check cashing store on the corner features several rows of tellers behind thick plate-glass. According to an employee who declined to giver her name, a man ran into the store after the shooting. "I guess that he ran back in here for cover," said the employee.

The employee herself, though, did not move. "It’s better to stay back here," she said from behind the glass.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact CrimeStoppers at 1-866-371-TIPS.

Jake Wagman and Kim Bell of the Post-Dispatch staff contributed to this report.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    What do you think, Harvthesecon? Would you cash a check in that area?
    I believe I heard that both assailants had been arrested over the weekend. I defiantly would not cash a check or be in that area. The wife wants me to take her to the Fox and I'm hesitant to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvthesecon View Post
    I defiantly would not cash a check or be in that area.
    That's what I thought.

The wife wants me to take her to the Fox and I'm hesitant to do that.
    Some of my wife's friends go to the Fox and the symphony all the time, and they think it's a great area. I guess they've never gone north from the symphony on Grand for 30 seconds. They live in condition white. Nothing will change their minds until they get a gun stuck in their faces... and probably not even then.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Grady & Harvthesecon don't want to hi-jack this thread but. What is the area like around Holiday Inn (down town Convention Center)811 North 9th Street? I am to be there for a business meeting end of this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Grady & Harvthesecon don't want to hi-jack this thread but. What is the area like around Holiday Inn (down town Convention Center)811 North 9th Street? I am to be there for a business meeting end of this week.
    I don't know, but I'm not optimistic based on the address. Even if the area looks clean and appears safe during the day, the criminals know where the business people (money = potential victims) reside. It's a different place at night. You are only minutes from several areas that I refer to as "Beirut". Use extreme caution especially at night and in isolated areas such as parking garages, etc.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    two men... both between 5'7" and 5'8" tall. One is said to be visibly taller than the other
    Those are some good height estimation skills and reporter critical writing skills...

Glad the officer is recovering. These BG's need to be off the street and dumped in the river...

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Those are some good height estimation skills and reporter critical writing skills...
    That's hilarious! Great observation on your part!

VIP Member

hopefully in the gutter

Hopefully in the gutter. It will cost us all a bundle if they turn up live at a hospital.

Sponsored Links