Good: Postal worker with a .380 vs Robber with a shotgun - Postal worker wins!(Merged - Page 2

Good: Postal worker with a .380 vs Robber with a shotgun - Postal worker wins!(Merged

This is a discussion on Good: Postal worker with a .380 vs Robber with a shotgun - Postal worker wins!(Merged within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That's just a few miles from my house. And Sarasota has a reputation for being old and sleepy, but we've had something like 12 violent ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good: Postal worker with a .380 vs Robber with a shotgun - Postal worker wins!(Merged

That's just a few miles from my house. And Sarasota has a reputation for being old and sleepy, but we've had something like 12 violent break-ins over the last few months where middle-aged and older women have been beaten and raped. It's been pretty bad. It even got my wife thinking about carrying.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

If the post office gives Mr. Firgy any grief I would think a lot less of them. A man who tries to protect himself and his family deserves better then that. It's sad that the two boys who seemed to have a lot going for themselves would stoop to committing armed robbery. What a taste this is.

“He was looking at dying,” said Sarasota Police Capt. Bill Spitler. “And he has every right to defend himself.”
    It's that simple.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Hope Firby keeps his mouth shut & keeps his job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I'm just impressed there was a "positive" article about CC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Good job Mr. Firby but let's talk about getting a more potent firearm and a lot more practice!
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

On all counts!!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    There are a number of side neighborhoods between work and home. I have driven them many times to be familiar with the terrain. If I see a car making turns with me, I start weaving through the neighborhoods. I also have the location of the nearest Police stations. If they keep following through the neighborhoods, I call 911 and arrange a meeting for my new friends. The one thing I never do is go home if I think I am being followed. I don't even use my real address on paperwork, I love my UPS store.
    That was the first thing I noticed (well, after the caliber of the weapon). Why on earth would you drive to your house if you think you are being followed ?! I would under no circumstances lead them to where my wife and children live. I'd rather be on my own on a deserted road!

On the other hand, like they say, "I'd rather be lucky than good."

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

While I agree that he needed something larger than a .380, maybe he has arthritis or something and that is the best caliber he can handle. At least he had a handgun and, as an EMT, I have seen two people die as a result of a Bersa Thunder .380. The post office should give him a raise!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Good job Mr. Firby but let's talk about getting a more potent firearm and a lot more practice!
    Good point. Last summer when I completed LFI-1, I had Masaad sign the book he gave us to use as the text for the course. When I got home I read what he wrote. He told me to get a bigger gun. I had a .380. Between that and the fact that I was the only knucklehead in the course with that small a caliber, I saw the light.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Target of Sarasota robbery shoots his assailant

By Anthony Cormier
    (snipsnip)
    Detectives say Ellis and Ray were cruising Sarasota looking for someone to rob, and that it was Ray who gave Ellis the shotgun.

Firby says he had $5 on him.

“It wasn’t a whole lot of money,” Firby says, “but you do what you have to do when you’re looking down the business end of a shotgun.”(snipsnip)
    This sounds to me like Firby originally bought into the idea that he might be able to choose between giving up some money and being involved in violence.

Bandits don't have xray vision, nor are they psychic. Bandits rob people because they /might/ have something worth stealing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    That was the first thing I noticed (well, after the caliber of the weapon). Why on earth would you drive to your house if you think you are being followed ?! I would under no circumstances lead them to where my wife and children live. I'd rather be on my own on a deserted road!

Ryan

I don't have kids at home....I do however have a wife that is a good shot & a larger choice of firearms to respond with in case of trouble. Not to mention I know the terrain............

(...Besides I have a cemetery out back to place the remains...no muss no fuss!)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    goawayfarm.
    (...Besides I have a cemetery out back to place the remains...no muss no fuss!)

I would not lead Them to My house either and I live alone. But I like Your thinking.

Good for him. That is a good shooting and I'm proud of him AND his wife for being prepared.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Followed Home

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post

Ryan
    You raise a valid point about not driving to your home if you think that you are being followed. As best I can recall, I've read that the best thing you can do is drive to a well lit area, a police station, etc. If you realize that it's "not your imagination" and you are being followed the LAST thing you need to do is drive to your home.

If I suspect that I'm being followed I have a trick I do to verify if someone is following me. I call it my "two right-hand turn" rule. I'll make two sudden right hand turns in a row. The odds of the same vehicle having to make the same right-hand turns are extremely low. That's when I start driving to a well lit area while calling the police to report the suspicious vehicle. I have no intention of leading a BG to my residence.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Good for the defender, shooter. Too bad his shot was low. My guess is the scum will be back on the street in six months. Although, did FL not pass a law several years back that required a longer sentence if a firearm is used in a crime?
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Seems like the .380 did its job and Firby and potenially his wife were protected.

One poster to the news from the station posted the following somewhat naive statement

The only problem I see with this story is that the victim should have been carrying a .45 or .357 magnum. A .380 is NOT much of a personal defense weapon.

That bug did the protection job just fine.
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links