Ugly week in Chattanooga

This is a discussion on Ugly week in Chattanooga within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Chattanooga Times Free Press | Shootings heat up in Chattanooga Three shootings in four days have left six people, including four juveniles, injured as crime ...

Thread: Ugly week in Chattanooga

Ugly week in Chattanooga

Chattanooga Times Free Press | Shootings heat up in Chattanooga

Three shootings in four days have left six people, including four juveniles, injured as crime heats up with the outdoor temperatures.

"It's just been one of those weeks," said Sgt. Bill Phillips, head of the Chattanooga police homicide division.

A shooting early Tuesday morning near the intersection of Fourth and Cherry streets left a juvenile male with a gunshot wound to his leg and an 18-year-old girl with a graze to her shoulder.

On Thursday morning, three juveniles told police they were walking south on Fourth Avenue about 1 a.m. when a white vehicle drove toward them, said Chattanooga Police Department spokeswoman Sgt. Jerri Weary. Someone inside the vehicle began firing a gun and the juveniles were struck in the arms and legs.

On Friday morning, police responded to 1788 Ocoee St. about 3 a.m. and found Joseph Gray suffering from gunshot wounds to his chest and back, Sgt. Weary said.

Police took three people into custody in connection with Tuesday's shooting, which was thought to be gang-related, and are pursuing leads in the others, she said.

The shootings do not appear to be related, Sgt. Phillips said.

"Not that we've been able to pick out, but now it's just been one after the other," he said.

The shootings also are not thought to be connected with the Riverbend Festival or the Bessie Smith Strut, but may simply have to do with more people being outside because of summer, Sgt. Phillips said.

On Monday, police announced a roundup of nearly 50 known gang members in Chattanooga and surrounding counties who were indicted on various criminal charges. Law enforcement officials said then that they would continue their efforts to get violent criminals off the street, even after the official roundup ended.

Police continue their vigilance in searching for criminals, including those individuals who may be trying to establish themselves in the criminal community through violence, Deputy Chief Mark Rawlston said.

"There are proactive things we can do -- increased patrols, increased attention to specific areas," he said. "You can't be everywhere all the time."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Does the heat just make people violent and nuts, or what?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Does the heat just make people violent and nuts, or what?
    Yep, also increased incindents of burglery,and home invasions.BGs know a neihbor is less likely to hear problems with air conditioners blowing and doors and windows shut.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

This whole country is going nuts. It's getting to the point that there's a shooting almost every day somewhere in this metro area. It usually happens in the northeast and that tends to be a very bad area. I didn't know that when I first moved here and that's where I moved. I heard gunshots every day. I'm so glad I don't live in that area anymore!

Because of the 'Criminal Injustice System', our country is FILLED with dirtbags who will shoot you for a dollar, or even for free.

Stay armed...any time, any place, expect the unexpected...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Because of the 'Criminal Injustice System', our country is FILLED with dirtbags who will shoot you for a dollar, or even for free.

Stay armed...any time, any place, expect the unexpected...stay safe!
    Ahhhhhhhh......so that's it!

I just thought the Democrats were back in power
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Full Moon! It happens all the time. For some reason people go nuts on the full moon.

It's summer and the Riverbend Festival was going on during this last week. There is a gang war going on in Chattanooga that has at least 1 to 2 shootings a weekend in the projects. The CPD is already woefully understaffed and having to cut back on patrol due to Riverbend staffing doesn't help.

Links