Criminals find a way

Criminals find a way

This is a discussion on Criminals find a way within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Officers Shot: Man Charged with Buying Gun | Today's TMJ4 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, WTMJ | Local News Officers Shot: Man Charged with ...

Thread: Criminals find a way

VIP Member

Criminals find a way

Officers Shot: Man Charged with Buying Gun | Today's TMJ4 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, WTMJ | Local News

Officers Shot: Man Charged with Buying Gun
    Mick Trevey

MILWAUKEE - A 21-year-old man was charged in Federal Court with lying to buy a pistol and then giving it 18-year-old Julius Burton. Burton was charged with using the gun to shoot two Milwaukee Police officers on Tuesday.

Prosecutors charged Jacob D. Collins with making a false statement to buy a Taurus Pistol from Badger Guns, Inc.

Collins allegedly filled out a federal gun sale form and declared that the gun he purchased was for personal use. Instead, prosecutors say he bought it for Burton. About one month later, prosecutors say Burton used the gun to shoot two Milwaukee Police Officers.

Those officers were seriously wounded.

In court, attorneys said Burton paid Collins $60 to fill out the gun sale paperwork and then return to the store to pick up the gun days later.

"He purchased a firearm that was not for himself, it was for another person who was not legally able to have that firearm or purchase that firearm on their own," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian Resler.

Magistrate Judge Patricia Gorence ruled that Collins can be released on a signature bond. He will be put on electronic monitoring. His release also includes a series of conditions including not owning a gun. When he is released, he will live at his mother's house.

Collins' family members were in Federal Court and cried during the hearing. "They are sorry for what happened to the officers," said Collins' attorney Daniel Stiller. "Their thoughts are with the officers and the officers' families," he said.

Attorney Stiller also said, "I'm grateful to both the prosecutor and the judge for their ability to separate what my client is alleged to have done a month ago from that which happened two days ago without his participation or knowledge."

Attorneys discussed Collins' criminal record in Federal Court Thursday. He was involved with a theft case at age 11, failing to appear in court at age 18, and carrying a concealed knife at age 20.

He will appear in court again on June 25.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Correct if I’m wrong but isn’t lying on a 4473 a federal felony? Here’s hoping they are prosecuted to fullest extent of the law rather than some plea bargain that gets them little or no time.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Personally, I believe that scumbag that knowingly purchased a gun for a person who wasn't legally permitted to buy a gun, and later committed a capital crime, is just as guilty as the guy who shot the cops.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

His actions hurt all of us..."Hang 'em High"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Anyone else find it amusing that they forbade him from ever owning a gun again? right... didnt he just prove that doesnt work?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I'm disgusted.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Personally, I believe that scumbag that knowingly purchased a gun for a person who wasn't legally permitted to buy a gun, and later committed a capital crime, is just as guilty as the guy who shot the cops.
    Regards,
    Amen to that.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Um, silly question here...I saw a sign in the Fun Shop window yesterday about it being a felony to purchase a gun for someone who can't or something --- that doesn't count if you buy one for your own kid who's not 21 yet, right? Like, just for your child to take on supervised trips to the range or hunting or anything? Even if you have to put the paperwork in your name? Is that still ok though?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Agreed Saber.

The first man was complicitous toward the actions of the second man, shooter, even as he may not have directly known at the time that the person he unlawfully transferred the firearm to would plan to act as he did.

Apply to the first guy the felony murder rule, in addition to any and all fines and penalties for lying on the 4473 form as well as transfer in ownership of a handgun to a minor and in making a strawman purchase & sale too.

Contrary to antis crowing we don't need more gun laws. Just enforce with teeth the laws we already have on the books.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    One rope use it twice.

Bunny,dont sweat it ,you paid for it(sorta)its your permit,it SHALL not be accesable to Hunter without you in command.I had "my own" guns around 8yo
    Rest easy!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Administrator
    He's really a good good boy.
    He just lies, steals, disobeys court orders, and buys guns for felons who later use them to shoot police officers....but, he really is a nice, good kid.
    I hope they don't go too hard on him and will cut him a break.
    Maybe just some "quiet time" in his room at Mommys house and No Video Games for a whole month.
    That should be punishment enough.

Sponsored Links