Chicago: 87 "shots fired" calls per day

This is a discussion on Chicago: 87 "shots fired" calls per day within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sumthin's wrong in Chi-town. It appears criminals aren't obeying the gun laws. And it appears the lawmakers can't figure it out. So they keep tightening ...

Thread: Chicago: 87 "shots fired" calls per day

Sumthin's wrong in Chi-town. It appears criminals aren't obeying the gun laws. And it appears the lawmakers can't figure it out. So they keep tightening the screws with more and harsher gun laws. Law-abiding citizens continue to suffer, while criminals are having a field day.

Chicago Police respond, on average, 87 times a day to calls of shots fired
    Found that quote in a sad piece about a fallen officer. May he rest in peace.

St. Louis doesn't have near the strict gun laws Chicago has, and we also don't have near the amount of "shots fired" calls. Not sure how many we have, but I don't think it even comes close to Chicago's, even adjusted for population.

I was surprised to read the high number in Chicago given all the Illinois gun laws. I find it very ironic.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/Officer-Down-News/Arrests-Made-in-Chicago-Officers-Murder/2$46960
    Arrests Made in Chicago Officer's Murder
    Funeral information below

Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009
    Updated: June 4th, 2009 10:06 AM EDT

ANNIE SWEENEY, FRANK MAIN and MARK J. KONKOL
    The Chicago Sun-Times

Shot at minutes earlier on an Englewood street, the two gang members returned for revenge.

At the same time, police also were responding to the shots early Monday by sending Officer Alejandro "Alex'' Valadez and his partner to the block.

It was there, in the 6000 block of South Hermitage, that paths tragically crossed as the reputed gang members, Shawn Gaston and Kevin Walker, allegedly fired onto the street from a passing car, fatally shooting the plainclothes officer in the head as he talked to a resident about the earlier shootings.

Gaston, 20, and Walker, 21 -- who have histories of gun-related arrests -- were charged Tuesday with the murder of Valadez, 27, a three-year officer who comes from a family of Chicago Police officers. His sister is assigned to the evidence and recovered property section. His brother works in the Ogden District. His pregnant girlfriend is an officer in the Englewood District.

"Every citizen of Chicago owes this officer a debt of gratitude,'' Chief of Detectives Thomas Byrne said. "Our hearts are heavy and will remain so for a very long time.''

Gaston and Walker were arrested shortly after the shooting -- which happened at 12:15 a.m. Monday -- on a porch in the 6200 block of South Paulina.

STOP BY STATE POLICE CALLED KEY

Police gathered several pieces of evidence against the two, but a pivotal break in the case came from an Illinois State Police officer, who, by chance, had stopped Gaston and Walker the day before the shooting in the 2007 Pontiac detectives believed was used in the drive-by, several sources said.

The two were stopped for a seat belt violation, and the encounter was videotaped as a matter of routine practice, the sources said. It was key because it put Gaston and Walker inside the car together a day before the Valadez shooting.

Detectives found the ticket and contacted the state to inquire about whether there was a tape, source said. It was turned over immediately.

The car was recovered by the department's Targeted Response Unit. Inside were three guns -- including one in the trunk of the car that detectives believe was the murder weapon. A shell casing recovered in the car also matched those found at the scene, Byrne said. tests on evidence are ongoing.

Gaston, in a statement, also allegedly admitted he was the shooter. Walker was driving the car used in the drive-by shooting, police said.

Chicago Police respond, on average, 87 times a day to calls of shots fired, according to 2008 statistics. Valadez was the type of officer who wanted to answer such high-risk calls, his colleagues recalled Tuesday as the charges were announced.

He had worked midnights in the Englewood District on a team that responded to high-crime areas and to quality of life concerns. And he wanted to work hard cases and was willing to stay late to see them through.

"He came out every day and hit the street with something to accomplish,'' said Officer Melvin Oliver, a member of Valadez's team.

Co-workers also recalled Valadez as a proud father-to-be who showed off ultrasound photos. They remembered his fun attitude and smile.

BROTHER RICE REMEMBERS OFFICER

The officer's slaying also struck those who hadn't seen him in years, including his former principal at Brother Rice High School.

Jim Antos said when he saw a smiling photo of Valadez on the front page of the Chicago Sun-Times Tuesday, he remembered a quiet, amiable young man who was among about 40 students who chose to attend a religious retreat at the Southwest Side school.

"For Alex, it speaks volumes that he [had] the courage to go. For a lot of guys it's not the coolest thing to do,'' Antos said. "It's four days of coming to know yourself, coming to know God better. . . . You come to know you are truly a good person. It doesn't surprise me that he went into the kind of work he did in terms of wanting to help people.''

Gaston, the alleged shooter, was arrested in 2007 for carrying a loaded gun in the 6000 block of South Paulina -- and about two blocks from Valadez's slaying. He pleaded guilty to a felony and was sentenced on March 20, 2008, to two years' probation by Judge Bertina Lampkin. He is due in court before Lampkin next month on a violation of probation.

Gaston, of the 6200 block of South Paulina, has been arrested at least 13 times on charges that include robbery, assault and gambling. He's listed on several arrest reports as a member of the Gangster Disciples.

Walker, of the 2500 block of West 70th Street, pleaded guilty to a 2008 aggravated armed robbery in the 6400 block of South Fairfield after he pulled a man from a truck as an accomplice held a gun to the man's head, according to court records.

Sounds like Illannoy needs to allow us law abiders to carry some high velocity self defense devices!

Gaston and Walker were probably two 'good boys' who just weren't aware of any gun laws...

I CLEARLY see the problem here, they both had previous gun arrests and were still out on the street...learned a lot didn't they?

Stay armed...always use lead BG repellant...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 14th, 2009 at 04:50 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My parents still live in Illinois and my dad has a collection of rifles and shotguns. I'm sure he cares more about safety than the consequences!

This has to be a lie. Know what I'm saying? I bet it's just made up statistics from the gun owning nutcases to sell us on letting them have firearms......Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence. (sarcasm)

Gun laws work! Give them a chance, you'll see. We get tough on guns and the crime goes down, it's just taking a bit longer than we expected. Brady Campaign. (more sarcasm)

Shots fired? What shots fired?? We have no guns in Chicago, except for Law Enforcement. You must be mistaken. Brady Campaign (even more sarcasm)
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Wonder how many "shots fired" calls DC, NYC, etc get?

Of course it is all the fault of Virginia's gun shows, according to the know-it-all-you-know-who!!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Wait...I thought Obama's Chicago crime control program was working and had made significant reductions in crime and criminal victimization for Chicago, and thus were to be a model basis for application nationally amongst urban centers and major metro areas?!

That's what the marketing had indicated as distributed by his people during the primaries and general election.

- Suckers

"...Barack Obama will support innovative local programs, such as the CeaseFire program in Chicago, that have been proven to work. Such programs implement a comprehensive public health approach that implements a community-based strategy to prevent youth violence."
    Source - Organizing for America | BarackObama.com | Urban Policy
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Very, very sad. Hopefully the BG's "who have histories of gun-related arrests" will actually face some true punishment. Whatever has been applied so far obviously hasn't taken.

Rope. Tree. Perp(s). Some assembly required.

Others have already mentioned how this reflects on the "enlightened" gun laws in Chicago, so I'll just say that I agree.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I can see why Obama claims that gun laws might have to be different in Wyoming than in Chicago. Wait a minute, that doesn't make any sense. I'm confused...

You know those antis don't read/believe in statistics silly....

Sheesh, get with the program, it's all about fear mongering
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Our methods for reversing the violence epidemic use highly trained street violence interrupters and outreach staff, public education campaigns and community mobilization -From the CeaseFire Chicago website
    What in the hell is a "street violence interrupter"?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Links