Miami cat killer caught

This is a discussion on Miami cat killer caught within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Awhile back someone posted a story about someone mutilating and killing cats around the Miami area; well it looks like he has been caught. 18-year ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miami cat killer caught

VIP Member

Miami cat killer caught

Awhile back someone posted a story about someone mutilating and killing cats around the Miami area; well it looks like he has been caught.

18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations

MIAMI — A teenager faces charges in a gruesome string of cat mutilations and killings that have horrified his neighbors and shaken animal lovers in two South Florida communities.

Tyler Hayes Weinman, 18, was charged Sunday with 19 counts each of animal cruelty and improperly disposing of an animal body and four counts of burglary related to the deaths.

In the past month, residents in the Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay neighborhoods have reported finding the bodies of more than two dozen cats. Police said some were likely killed by dogs. Some were missing fur - neighbors said some had been skinned - and appeared to have been cut with a sharp, straight instrument, police said.

"I hope it's not true," 77-year-old Robert Ehrman said about the teen, who lives across the street from her in Cutler Bay. He called his mother a "lovely person," but said he didn't know the teen well. "It's like a death in the family, I'm sure."

Weinman was taken into custody at a party and was being questioned at Miami-Dade police headquarters. Four of the confirmed cat killings were reported on the street where Weinman lived.

His attorney, David W. Macey, said in an e-mail that Weinman is innocent of the charges.

"Tyler welcomes his day in court, so that he will be completely vindicated," Macey said.

According to online jail records, Weinman was being held on $154,500 bond. Jail officials said a court date was been set for July.

The curtains at the small, beige house in the Cutler Bay neighborhood listed on Weinman's arrest affidavit were drawn shut and there were no cars in the driveway. Knocks at the red front door went unanswered. A welcome mat dotted with pictures of paw prints playfully encouraged visitors to "wipe your paws," and a yellow and black crime watch sticker was displayed in the home's front window.

Hantzis, who said his father dates Weinman's mother, called the teenager quiet and well-spoken. Authorities said Weinman was spending his summer doing odd jobs, and his Facebook page says he graduated from Miami Palmetto Senior High this spring.

Police said Weinman was twice arrested as a juvenile, though they said they could not provide details.

Hantzis said he had a hard time picturing the teen as a serial cat killer.

"I don't think, the way he acts and his demeanor, I don't think he could physically do it," he said.
    The rest of the story 18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations :: WRAL.com

Ah yes just another poor misguided good boy.
    Last edited by msgt/ret; June 14th, 2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: grammer
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

This kid sounds like another "Jeffrey Dahmer" in the making.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He's been questioned and now charged.

Anyone know what the purported evidence is? The article is a bit slim on details.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    On one hand, it's sad, this is a kid with his whole potential life in front of him. On the other hand, I hope it IS him, because I hope they caught whomever was doing this, so they can lock him up and make sure he doesn't "graduate"from kitties to people!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    He's been questioned and now charged.

Anyone know what the purported evidence is? The article is a bit slim on details.
    Not much but I am guessing a combination of LEO foot work, and MySpace research.

Online postings led police to suspect in cat killings - South Florida - MiamiHerald.com
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Sounds like the Leo's had their eyes on him for a few weeks. Hopefully, they built a strong case.

Assuming they have caught the correct person, I hope he doesn't see any daylight in his 20's...I am glad he is an adult.

VIP Member
    Back in the seventies, I was a Sheriff’s deputy and responded to an arson fire of a vacant lot. Two young clean-cut boys had set fire to a cat as they watched it run around in the grass. I arrested the two kids who admitted to the felony, claiming they got the idea from a cartoon. The parents thought the ordeal was quite funny until later when they were fined and their sons’ were convicted of cruelty to animals. Us humans are the most vicious creatures that have ever stepped foot on this planet.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Back in the seventies, I was a Sheriff’s deputy and responded to an arson fire of a vacant lot. Two young clean-cut boys had set fire to a cat as they watched it run around in the grass. I arrested the two kids who admitted to the felony, claiming they got the idea from a cartoon. The parents thought the ordeal was quite funny until later when they were fined and their sons’ were convicted of cruelty to animals. Us humans are the most vicious creatures that have ever stepped foot on this planet.Regards,
    I wouldn't take it that far.

EAJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    I wouldn't take it that far.
    Sadly, I would. We are capable of both great good and evil.

Agreed. ^^

I would as well, and amongst specific members of the insect kingdom there is great cruelty but even still we humans take top honors....IMHO.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed. ^^

I would as well, and amongst specific members of the insect kingdom there is great cruelty but even still we humans take top honors....IMHO.

- Janq
    Agree as well, I see it on a daily bases.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by EAJ View Post
    Sadly, I would. We are capable of both great good and evil.
    I also agree. That is the result of our fallen nature. Cruelty in the animal world is instinct and for self preservation. Cruelty in the human world is typically neither.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Killing those kitties in the horrible ways they were is not the biggest problem here. This kid has one of the major "flaws" that makes serial killers.
    Has he been a fire starter?? Did he or does he still wet the bed into his teen years?? What else has he done. McDonald triad can't be forgotten.
    I saw the kid's picture....reminds me of a young Ted Bundy.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Cruelty in the animal world is instinct and for self preservation.
    I don't agree. Dogs, wolves, all the cats, weasels, mink, etc are known to kill for fun.

As a side note, the first two rapes I saw involved sparrows raping wrens.

VIP Member
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links