Cleveland TN...special church deputies

This is a discussion on Cleveland TN...special church deputies within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Churches in Cleveland are now armed against crime in their congregations. This week 10 people were sworn in as special church deputies by the Bradley ...

Thread: Cleveland TN...special church deputies

Cleveland TN...special church deputies

Churches in Cleveland are now armed against crime in their congregations. This week 10 people were sworn in as special church deputies by the Bradley County Sheriff's Department.

These deputies now have the same rights as any law enforcement officer while protecting people within the walls of their church. While their presence will be felt, they won't be seen unless something happens.

"For quite a long time now we have had someone in every service and we have people that roam the halls and parking lots during our services and we've done that for quite a while," says Mike Sharp, Vice Chairman of Deacons at First Baptists Church.

Now churches across Bradley County are catching on. The Sheriff's department had its first 10 church deputies sworn into service.

Armed citizens will now sit in their regular services ready to protect their congregation.

"Those that are in this program, while conducting their work they are full time authorized licensed personnel that have gone through state mandated training," says Bradley County Sheriff Tim Gobble.

Sheriff Gobble says the decision to keep these deputies anonymous is up to the churches.

"Here at our church you aren't going to see anyone armed, they are dressed for church they are here to worship and that's exactly what they are doing," says Mike Sharp.

"If we have an active shooter situation like we have seen in places across the country then this person will be able to act quickly and save lives," says Tim Gobble.

The program got started after two people were shot to death inside a Knoxville church last August.

More recently, the images of an Illinois congregation mourning over the shooting death of their pastor have made people like John Hensley support the program.

"I do believe that we should be able to come to a place of worship and worry about what we are doing rather than sit here and worry about our safety," says John Hensley, Central Church of Christ.

Sheriff Gobble says officers not only had weapon training but basic first aid, and situation response training. Church members who are already law enforcement officers are also included in this program.

Deputies Arm Cleveland Churches | church, says, sheriff - Local News - WTVC NewsChannel 9: Chattanooga News, Weather, Radar, Sports, Lottery

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a nice communiity to live in...I wonder how expensive the housing is...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sounds like a nice communiity to live in...I wonder how expensive the housing is...
    It's TN. GOT TO BE CHEAPER than FL.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    People are catching on. Prevention before cure/ or more loss of Life.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not expensive at all as a whole. Every town has it's elite areas, Cleveland no exception, but on the whole it's just a nice middle classs place to live.

Gobble is a great CCW/citizen friendly Sheriff though. If I had been affiliated with a church long enough, I would have applied for the program myself.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Love it! Hope they never have to use it, but glad that there are a few sheepdog equipped churches. I wonder what the mandated training consisted of.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Links