Anti LTE -- Roanoke VA

This is a discussion on Anti LTE -- Roanoke VA within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; America needs to be strict on gun control - Roanoke.com America needs to be strict on gun control The fatal shooting last week at the ...

Thread: Anti LTE -- Roanoke VA

VIP Member

Thumbs down Anti LTE -- Roanoke VA

America needs to be strict on gun control - Roanoke.com

America needs to be strict on gun control

The fatal shooting last week at the Holocaust Museum in Washington illustrates again the falsehood of the National Rifle Association's and gun-ownership lobby's claim that restrictions on gun ownership are useless because criminals have access to the guns anyway.

I will readily stipulate that criminals always have access to guns, but not that the restrictions are useless. The restrictions serve precisely to keep guns out of the hands of unstable ordinary people. Recently, an abortion-clinic doctor was also murdered with a firearm, as were several police officers in other shootouts with deranged, gun-toting individuals. This newspaper constantly carries reports on shootings due to family feuds or fights between friends.

We could at least prevent these unnecessary firearm deaths by having better background checks and stricter criteria for gun ownership. But the NRA and gun-lobby people will not let us do so.

DAVID A. DE WOLF
    BLACKSBURG
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I agree

Ummm...That dude was a federal felon and under all laws local, state, and federal was already under current gun laws not allowed to own or even possess a firearm.
    Never mind that it has long been against the law to murder people.

Laws are for and obeyed by honest law abiding people.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Some people will never get it. The author probably doesn't understand, or care about the fact that it is illegal to carry a gun in DC.
    I wonder how he would react to a call to restrict the right of free speech, that he seems to hold so dear. After all free speech only applies to single page, hand placed type set, and word of mouth. There is no way our forefathers could have foreseen TV, radio, computers and all the other means of disseminating information that are available now.

How does taking guns away from 'victims' make either fewer or safer victims?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The other correlation the author seems to be missing is that this shooting occurred in a "gun free zone".

No use in letting a fact or two get in the way of an otherwise perfectly good emotionally based argument.

Randy

I will assume this was a letter to the Editor.

As such, while it is a plus for a citizen to voice their opinion, it is disheartening that they are so misinformed.

VIP Member

Letter to the Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Ksthumper View Post
    I will assume this was a letter to the Editor.
    Yes. My "LTE" was for "Letter to The Editor."

As my kids would say, "My bad."

Your's is the second reply to a thread where I used it questioning it's meaning. So, I just checked the acronyms list on this site. It's not there. I'll start spelling it out.

dave

BTW -- I held off writing a reply, to cool down and collect my thoughts.

Send one today. Included some of the comment from the group.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Will advise, if published.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Post My Letter to the Editor was published

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/208924
    [Third from bottom]

More gun laws won't end tragedies

David de Wolf claims that he would prevent unnecessary firearm deaths by having better background checks and stricter criteria for gun ownership ("America needs to be strict on gun control," June 16 letter).

He uses the Holocaust Museum tragedy to illustrate his point. However, let's look at the facts.

James von Brunn served 6 years in prison and would not have passed the current background check and criteria for gun ownership. As a federal felon, he was not allowed to own or even possess a firearm under all current laws -- local, state and federal.

Washington, D.C., has some of the strictest criteria for gun ownership in the nation.

The Holocaust Museum is a weapon-free zone -- with guards, metal detectors and bag searches.

What more does de Wolf envision?

How does de Wolf think that taking guns away from victims makes either fewer or safer victims?

DAVE HICKS
    DUBLIN
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

This blows a big hole in the anti's gun control theory.

Criminals will always have guns & Victums will keep fighting to keep our RIGHTS
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

One would think that folks in Roanoke, of all places, would have pulled their collective heads out, knowing that disarmament kills. Amazing. Some still contrive to force everyone else into that same, dead-end choice of being disarmed. Sad. Utterly sad.

I will readily stipulate that criminals always have access to guns, but not that the restrictions are useless. The restrictions serve precisely to keep guns out of the hands of unstable ordinary people.
    He would sacrifice everyone to crime, so that the 1% unstable folks could be denied access. How generous of him.

DAVID A. DE WOLF
    BLACKSBURG
    Hm. A sheep in wolf's clothing. Curiouser and curiouser.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; June 19th, 2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: clarification
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links