Houston Home owner shoots crackhead [merged]

This is a discussion on Houston Home owner shoots crackhead [merged] within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A homeowner who had twice ordered a teenager to leave the property — once while holding a rifle — shot the teen dead after the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston Home owner shoots crackhead [merged]

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Houston Home owner shoots crackhead [merged]

A homeowner who had twice ordered a teenager to leave the property — once while holding a rifle — shot the teen dead after the boy refused to leave and walked toward him, authorities said.

“He feared for his life,” said Harris County sheriff’s Lt. Rolf Nelson.

Dwayne Austgen, 69, was inside his north Harris County home in the 5500 block of Susanna around 10:30 a.m. Wednesday when he noticed a teenager in his front yard, officials said. The man went outside, confronted 17-year-old Vidal Herrera, and told him to leave, authorities said.

After the teen left the property, Austgen noticed Herrera had left a crack cocaine pipe, officials said. Austgen then went back inside his home, taking the pipe with him, officials said.

A short while later, Herrera returned to the home, confronted Austgen about the pipe, and the pair argued, officials said. Austgen, this time holding a rifle, again ordered the teen to leave, officials said.

Herrera began to walk away but then approached the homeowner, who fired the .22-caliber rifle, striking the teen in the abdomen, officials said. Herrera was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where he died.

The case will be referred to a Harris County grand jury without charges.

Austgen could not be reached for comment.

Anxious neighborhood
    Neighbors described him as a grandfather-type who works hard and has a shop housing construction equipment on his property.

The shooting aggravated an already anxious neighborhood. Residents in the rural cluster of tidy homes and trailers said that over the past four months, burglars have taken all-terrain vehicles, tools, bicycles, and navigation and stereo equipment.

Janie Witcher, who lives a few doors down, said she and other neighbors have been nervous for their safety since the rash of crimes, worried the burglars might become violent.

Burglars hit her home and vehicles, Witcher said, adding that she might be the only resident to report a break-in.

“It’s like an invitation for them to come back,” she said.

Witcher said another neighbor pulled a shotgun on a burglar about three months ago and had a difficult time scaring him away.

“I’ve had my kids sleeping in my room,” she said. “My son is constantly looking out the window.”

Her son, Kyle, has been sleeping with a baseball bat for weeks and plans to keep it that way for a while.

2. Remove Ads

Teen fatally shot by homeowner

Homeowner in northwest Harris County shot and killed teenager who was reportedly doing drugs on his property - 6/17/09 - Houston News - abc13.com

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A homeowner accused of shooting and killing a teenager who trespassed on his property. The confrontation happened in a mobile home park on Rhetta near Gosling in north Harris County.

A 70-year-old homeowner went out to his pickup truck Wednesday morning and found some drug paraphernalia in the back. The person to whom that drug paraphernalia belongs, 17-year-old Vidal Herrera, came asking for it back. The homeowner said he would not return it to him. That's when things got violent.

Sheriff's investigators tell Eyewitness News the homeowner only shot the teen after showing him the gun and telling him to leave several times. But then the 17-year-old returned to the property after leaving, and got too close to the elderly man.

Larry Davis with the Harris County Sheriff's Office explained, "Our early indications are that he was in fear. He feared the 17-year-old. He shot one time." Residents of this small community say Herrera was part of a group of teenagers about whom they had complained to police before.

"They've been causing a lot of problems around here," said resident Heather Koenig. "We've reported it to the police. They're bad trouble-makers. I mean, you wouldn't believe the damage they do in here."

Resident Robert Pazbro said," We've had some crime recently, a lot of robberies and stuff. Everybody's been kind of watching after everybody's property because of the upturn in crime."

While the neighbors say they certainly wish today's violence had not happened and that the teen was not killed, they say they understand why it did happen, and why the 70-year-old may have feared for his life.

Sheriff's investigators have concluded their initial investigation at the scene. They intend to go to the district attorney's office and suggest no charges be filed in this case. Some deputies have remained in the neighborhood in an effort to "keep the peace."

The Elderly/Young-Thug Classic

The Elderly Team 1

The Young Thugs 0

Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    One less Moron to deal with..........its a shame that he was 17 and made a really bad choice.........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    People who dare to challenge a person with a firearm pointed at them always amaze me. Sure, the person may be bluffing in hopes that the assailant will back down, but anyone who plays a game of chicken in this fashion, deserves to die. IMHO of course...
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Way to go old man.

I'm seeing more stories like this in the news, about neighborhoods who had few guns considering arming and taking classes to defend themselves. Seems crime is on the rise... and the liberals want to take away our ability to defend ourselves and tie the hands of the police... I don't understand what is going on today... the world is going down the crapper.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Maybe with all the concealed carry licenses that are being issued these days a little Darwinism of sorts will strengthen the herd.

Dwayne deserves a medal and some free ammo for his public service.

Stinks someone that young had to die, but if he was high or low needing a high they will be bold for sure.. I'm surprised that a 22 cal in the gut took him down, let alone killed him?

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    Stinks someone that young had to die, but if he was high or low needing a high they will be bold for sure.. I'm surprised that a 22 cal in the gut took him down, let alone killed him?
    not realy. a .22 is a very strange cal. they go "who knows where" when they enter a body. I have heard of a case of shot in the hand and ended up in the but. No idea how. a 9mm through .45 would not bounce like that.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

kudos to the old dude,. ignorance knows no age limits.

Gut shot with a .22...definitely not a pleasant way to go. Kudos to the homeowner for sending some defective merchandise back to the manufacturer.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    .22 do to it size can actually end up in the blood stream and float around till it creates a clog. Also the .22 caliber round depending if its short, long, or long rifle and weapon fired from can have a crazy difference in ballistics. In some cases they have enough to enter the body and bounce around, but not enough energy to pierce the skin again.
    The Mob loved the .22short for up close muzzle to target assassinations, do to the fact the round often bounced around inside the target, and was very quiet.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    People who dare to challenge a person with a firearm pointed at them always amaze me. Sure, the person may be bluffing in hopes that the assailant will back down, but anyone who plays a game of chicken in this fashion, deserves to die. IMHO of course...
    Regards,
    You know what they say, never pick a fight with an old man - he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    .22 do to it size can actually end up in the blood stream and float around till it creates a clog. Also the .22 caliber round depending if its short, long, or long rifle and weapon fired from can have a crazy difference in ballistics. In some cases they have enough to enter the body and bounce around, but not enough energy to pierce the skin again.
    The Mob loved the .22short for up close muzzle to target assassinations, do to the fact the round often bounced around inside the target, and was very quiet.

All you hear from everyone is "never use anything less then a 9mm"... Now I'm not expert to any degree, but it just seems hard to believer people get shot with 9mm - 40 S&W - 45apc and live, but this crack head get's it with a 22 and dies???? Just dont' seem right,.. Even if it was a 22lr, that is still a small piece a lead without any force behind it comparing,. Must have just hit the right thing??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links