Dad in Heathrow murder-suicide complained about teacher's gun

This is a discussion on Dad in Heathrow murder-suicide complained about teacher's gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Heathrow murder-suicide: Man complained about teacher's gun -- OrlandoSentinel.com There is video at the link above... SANFORD - Less than two months before he killed ...

Thread: Dad in Heathrow murder-suicide complained about teacher's gun

Dad in Heathrow murder-suicide complained about teacher's gun

Heathrow murder-suicide: Man complained about teacher's gun -- OrlandoSentinel.com

There is video at the link above...

SANFORD - Less than two months before he killed himself and his family, a Heathrow man proudly described himself as a "card carrying concealed weapons holder" in an email to Seminole County's schools chief.

John "J.D." Wood, who was found dead along his wife and two children Monday, complained in an April email to Seminole School Superintendent Bill Vogel about a decision to keep a teacher who brought a gun to Heathrow Elementary School in 2007.

"I believe we as parents have the right and the obligation to voice our concerns when we believe there is a decision being made that has the potential to tremendously impact our children," Wood wrote in an email the Sentinel obtained today.

Wood identified himself as an advocate for children's rights and as the executive director of the Orlando chapter of Stand Up For Kids, a group that helps homeless and at-risk youths.

Investigators think Wood, 41, shot his wife, Cynthia, 40 and two children -- Dillon, 10, and Aubrey, 12 -- before turning the gun on himself.

The Seminole County Sheriff's Office said the family faced financial troubles, though friends have said they were not aware of any problems.

Aubrey attended Markham Woods Middle School.

Dillon attended Heathrow Elementary School, where a teacher, Michele McGhee, was arrested in December 2007 after bringing a loaded handgun on campus.

A secretary found the gun after it fell out of McGhee's book cart in the school parking lot. McGhee said she accidently gathered up the snub-nosed .38-caliber revolver with her school work.

She was suspended without pay and Vogel recommended that she be terminated. McGhee appealed to the state Division of Administrative Hearings and a judge said termination was too harsh of a penalty.

That didn't set well with Wood, who described himself in an email as a "card carrying concealed weapons and firearm license holder" and concerned parent.

He asked in the email to Vogel what he was supposed to tell his son about "that teacher that deservingly lost her job for carrying a gun to school..."

"Well you'll be passing her in the hallways today so just try to smile and not think about it.' Wouldn't you be saying to our kids, 'it's okay to bring a loaded gun to school..." he wrote.

Wood called himself the executive director of the Orlando chapter of Stand Up For Kids, but the national office of the organization in Atlanta said the Orlando branch has been inactive for about eight months.

The organization has 43 programs in 23 states. Volunteers "take, find, stabilize and assist homeless and street kids in their efforts to approve their lives," according to the organization's Web site.

He also asked Vogel: "Why could we not find an administrative position in your office where this teacher could still continue to have a career but I would not be wondering if there's a loaded firearm within a few feet of my son..."

Vogel sent an e-mail to Wood about an hour later, explaining the position of the administrative law judge and pointing out McGhee lost about $90,000 between the time she was suspended and when she is to return in August.

"Asking the School Board to overrule the administrative law judge and terminate Ms. McGhee would only have prolonged the matter at additional unjustifiable legal expense to the School Board," Vogel wrote.
    Bad for everyone, all the way around.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

My daughter goes to the school and knew Dillon, though thankfully, not well.

Leave it to the Sentinel to dredge up that email in the face of this tragedy. Giving any voice to the rantings of a man who murdered his entire family is irresponsible IMHO. Makes me glad I cancelled my subscription a few months ago.

FWIW, while the school doesn't generally accept requests for specific teachers, we've let them know that we wouldn't be opposed if Laura were to be placed with Mrs. McGhee next year!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

No mention of if he actually WAS a card carrying CCW holder, just the claim.

Pathetic.

Don't want to say anything bad about Mr Wood but it looks like he was more of danger to people then the teacher he was trying to get fired. I can imagine the amount of stress this guy was under. The 85 thousand dollars in debt could have been worked out. What a shame.

I wonder why Mr. Wood felt that he had to tell that he was a card carrying ccw permit holder. I hope he wasn't. I'm sure the sentinel will dig up all the trash they can on this guy.

At face value some things don't add up; I wonder about someone who would so vigorously demand that a fellow gun owner be fired from her job for exercising her right to protect herself; it also doesn't make sense that he would be worried that there was a gun within a few feet of his son, yet as a CCW license holder himself, there would be a loaded weapon potentially in the same proximity.

I think there is a little more to this story that unfortunately may never be known...
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    At face value some things don't add up; I wonder about someone who would so vigorously demand that a fellow gun owner be fired from her job for exercising her right to protect herself; it also doesn't make sense that he would be worried that there was a gun within a few feet of his son, yet as a CCW license holder himself, there would be a loaded weapon potentially in the same proximity.

I think there is a little more to this story that unfortunately may never be known...
    Clearly, from hindsight, a case of projection. The loaded gun in her hand was complained about...because of his fears of what he might/would eventually end up doing.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Links