Bad.....another officer lost in Arkansas

This is a discussion on Bad.....another officer lost in Arkansas within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Arkansas police officer shot to death during traffic stop 2 weeks from retirement - WHNT Arkansas police officer shot to death during traffic stop 2 ...

Thread: Bad.....another officer lost in Arkansas

Arkansas police officer shot to death during traffic stop 2 weeks from retirement - WHNT

Arkansas police officer shot to death during traffic stop 2 weeks from retirement

JON GAMBRELL Associated Press Writer

5:11 PM CDT, June 19, 2009
    PLUMERVILLE, Ark. (AP) A rural Arkansas assistant police chief only two weeks from retirement was shot dead Friday during a traffic stop, authorities said.

The officer, Joey Cannon, 49, pulled over a pickup truck just after 6 a.m., with about 40 minutes left in an otherwise routine nightshift, Plumerville Chief Bill Hartman said.

He had information the truck was stolen and had a sheriff's deputy to back him up as he approached the driver's side of the truck, said Sheriff Mike Smith.

A single shot fired by the truck's driver struck Cannon in the chest. Hartman said he didn't know whether the 27-year law enforcement veteran had a bulletproof vest on or if the deputy returned fire.

A passenger in the truck jumped out and the deputy arrested him as the pickup sped off, Smith said. The truck was stopped in Faulkner County a short time later. Police recovered a bag and a weapon from near the truck, said Bill Sadler, a spokesman for the Arkansas State Police.

Smith refused to name the men arrested, but said they'd likely face capital murder charges. If convicted, the charge carries either a death sentence or life in prison.

Hartman said Cannon, who served as a police officer in the small town for nine years, approached him Thursday night about retiring.

Cannon's son, a Conway County deputy, arrived to the scene shortly after the shooting. His daughter works as a sheriff's dispatcher in Perry County.

"The comment he made the other day was that it was time to retire because things were changing too much," Hartman said.

Cannon was one of only three full-time officers in the city, a little more than 30 miles northwest of Little Rock.

"This has been one of the worst things that's happened here in the history of the town," Mayor Ed Paladino said.

The officer's death is the latest tragedy to strike the small town of 866 in central Arkansas. In April, three young boys drowned when their mother drove a car into a manmade lake north of town during an early morning rainstorm.

The last police shooting death in Arkansas came in 2007.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    RIP
    +1
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    RIP

VIP Member
    Man that really sucks.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

A terrible event and a loss for all of us. My prayers for the family of the slain officer.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Thats terrible;

That deputy should have lit both of those guys up right then and there before that guy could drive off. I sure hope they catch the other guy and give him his due, that way the citizens of Arkansas won't be saddled with the million dollar debts they will incur prosecuting, housing, then executing those scumbags....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Thats terrible;

That deputy should have lit both of those guys up right then and there before that guy could drive off. I sure hope they catch the other guy and give him his due, that way the citizens of Arkansas won't be saddled with the million dollar debts they will incur prosecuting, housing, then executing those scumbags....
    Exactly......no taxpayer vacations.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Rest in peace, Chief Cannon. Prayers sent for his family, friends, and fellow officers.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Senior Moderator
    Here's one for you.

The officer wasn't wearing his vest because it was too hot out as told to me by one of the ASP last night when I worked a shift. He was able to return fire.

Plumerville isn't too far from here, about a 30 minute cruise down I-40.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That really sucks. Bad reason not to be wearing a vest, but it definately has been hot down south lately.

I wonder why they are not releasing the names of the two suspects? They will most definately get what is coming to them.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

This incident reminds me of a story I just heard recently. About a month ago I bought a car for my son off of a local LEO. We got to talking and I asked him if he knew of another LEO that I knew that had just retired in the last year. He said he knew him and the last time he saw him there were a bunch of officers closing in on a car jacking suspect. They got to talking and found out my buddy was two weeks away from retiring. They told him to get the h(*& out of there and they would handle it. You just never know.

That sucks,I would think that taking down a stolen car that felony stop procedures would have been used.I hope they get the needle and put them in the express lane
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This is sad. Why didn't the LEOs stay at the patrol car and have the BGs get out of the truck one at a time and walk backwards to them. This would seem to be the logical thing to do since the truck came back as stolen. No matter what this is a tragedy.

Sponsored Links