For those who think only a .45 will do

This is a discussion on For those who think only a .45 will do within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WATCH: Deputies: Teen gunned down by elderly homeowner | News for Austin, Texas | KVUE.com | Top Stories Man takes down crack head with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who think only a .45 will do

For those who think only a .45 will do

WATCH: Deputies: Teen gunned down by elderly homeowner | News for Austin, Texas | KVUE.com | Top Stories

Man takes down crack head with a .22

By Allison Triarsi / 11 News

HARRIS COUNTY -- A 17-year-old was shot outside a home in the Spring area Wednesday.

Deputies: Teen gunned down by elderly Spring homeowne
    June 17, 2009

The shooting happened in the 5500 block of Susanna near the Spring Klein Baseball Park around 10:30 a.m.

The homeowner, a 69-year-old lung cancer patient who wheels around an oxygen tank in order to breathe, allegedly shot the teen after an argument. Neighbors say Dwayne Austgen confronted the teen because he believed he'd been stealing from him and a few other homes in the area over the last year.

"They've been vandalizing all of us, our whole neighborhood, by stealing gas cans and siphoning gas, and stealing bicycles, DVD systems and GPS systems out of cars," said Heather Koenig, a neighbor.

Austgen told the teen to leave his property, but then neighbors say Herrera came back to allegedly get his drug pipe which he had left on the man's pickup truck.

Neighbors say Austgen had taken the pipe and wouldn't give it back. With a 22 rifle by his side, Austgen told Herrera to leave.

Deputies say the teen started walking away, but suddenly turned around and came toward Austgen. That's when deputies say Austgen fired once, shooting the teenager in the stomach.

Herrera collapsed in the driveway and a neighbor ran over and tried to use a towel to stop the bleeding. The teenager was taken to the hospital where he died.

Investigators questioned Austgen, but it's not clear if they'll file charges against him.

Austgen is locked inside his home tonight with orders from Sheriff's deputies to call 911 if anyone knocks on his door.

Friends and family have gathered outside Herrera's home. Many are angry and upset about the shooting.

Neighbors are worried that someone may want revenge. Deputies are on alert.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

2. Remove Ads

"Teen gunned down" is a little different than "Crackhead got shot during assault"

Even in Texas the media can't tell the truth. Headlines like these remind me of those ads on TV. The car is on fire "This car is HOT!"...
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    They told us at the gun store that last year, the #1 caliber that killed folks was a .22 because the bullet is small and RICOCHETS or tends to enter in one place, and travel through arteries to wind up somewhere else.

I don't know if it's true, or if they were trying to put the Fear of G-d into Bunny Jr.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

The elderly are easy victims of these young thugs, but this particular thug is done picking on old folks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not enough info to know if it was an assault that warranted lethal force. The article speaks of an "argument" and the dead man walking away then back toward the man, but nothing about distances involved or whether there was a barrier between the two at that point. No telling when the man got the rifle, or how heated that argument was. All we've got, really is that he was "gunned down" after having turned back toward the man. We'll see how this plays out.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The problem with todays youth is they dont respect their parents, let alone the Police, Teachers, adults etc........Will never know the true story now it will only be onesided. I feel if the elderly man is sane, than there must have been a good reason to PULL THE TRIGGER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rhrocket22 View Post
    The problem with todays youth is they dont respect there parents, let alone the Police, Teachers, adults etc........Will never know the true story now it will only be onesided. I feel if the elderly man is sane, than there must have been a good reason to PULL THE TRIGGER!!!
    I have to say, sane people do commit murder on occasion.

They all work, if the shooter does his part. For that matter one of the most popular weapons of the professional assassin is a ruger mkII with an integral supressor....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    They all work, if the shooter does his part. For that matter one of the most popular weapons of the professional assassin is a ruger mkII with an integral supressor....
    You know, I've heard that too and would like to know more about it. Is it the sound reduction that makes them go with a .22?

Senior Moderator
    No. Its because a .22 to the back of the head rarely exits and the bullet deforms enough to be worthless for a trace.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    .22 short is the preferred caliber of the old Mob. Do to it bounces around the targets internals and doesn't exit, is extremely cheap weapon, and finally the bullet can end up in odd places through the blood stream.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I have heard this mentioned several times, even at the class I had to take to get my permit, and I just wonder where this statement comes from? Do professional assassins hold seminars on weapons choice?
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Some of us are LEOs, some are Military, some are Other.
    Some of us just find out the oddest stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    WATCH: Deputies: Teen gunned down by elderly homeowner | News for Austin, Texas | KVUE.com | Top Stories

Friends and family have gathered outside Herrera's home. Many are angry and upset about the shooting.

Neighbors are worried that someone may want revenge. Deputies are on alert.
    They should be angry that their relative was a punk thug crackhead.

Great, just great.
    Now Im having flashbacks. If the LEOs don't get those people out of the neighborhood there most likely will be blood.
    Sorry but my experience says the Scumbag family of the Scumbag has already made death threats, and the LEOs need to get rid of those people standing outside his house right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links