felon shoots felon

This is a discussion on felon shoots felon within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by socal2310 Are you absolutely certain that you have never committed a felony? I'm not! You don't know me. Yes, I am absolutely ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: felon shoots felon

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    Are you absolutely certain that you have never committed a felony? I'm not!
    You don't know me.

Yes, I am absolutely certain I have not committed a felony (!) without any regard for your own degree of certainty.

As to your position my stated bottom line remains same.
    Under your proposal said felon would by penalty of law lose his life, and thus in the end his liberties as well.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

the felony thing has been out of hand since 1968. there are few so-called felonies that one should lose all rights. no this old man aint a felon. i am really waiting for one of these holier than thou types mistakenly just steps across a state line with his legal weapon when the state he steps into makes it a felony to possess. as mean as it sounds i think this old man will laugh.

Jughead,

That is one item I actually instruct in class...along with a MA EPO and a USFWS LEO.

We as _lawful_ gun owners have absolutely positively got to know our state firearm laws, in the broad strokes, as well as understand the potential (and likely) differences of same as toward neighboring states/areas through or to which we travel by any means and for any reason/purpose.

The LEOs have all manner of stories toward folks crossing state lines purposely as well as inadvertently (while in the woods) only to find themselves caught and then hammered. Or even taking of game in foreign areas and transporting them across state lines which is a Federal felony under the 'Lacey Act'. As well as assuming that because to hunt a specific game in one state is lawful then it must be in another state too such as for example how dove are a protected species here in MA while in much of the rest of the country dove hunts are very much normal and lawful.

As I advise students I do same online; 'In the eyes of the law ignorance is no excuse, nor is it a defense.'.

But this guy in specific though, back on specific point to the story rather than other item discussions, is not the same as me or you being Joe Blow-Citizen who happened to get caught up in a relatively low level crime that happens to have a felony association to it. He is not like me. It's on you to decide if he represents your own life experience or not.

Or rather at least I, not speaking for nor toward you, do not have "a long criminal record and served prison time for cocaine possession" nor have I been not just detained but _arrested_ "at least 25 times" as is stated by this felons county sheriff.

You don't get a track record like that for being a GG accidental tourist for doing things that were not known to you prior as being unlawful.

Look at the totality of the facts, as detailed in the report, rather than focus on one item which in specific might be a sore spot for some such as the capriciousness of some felony convictions; e.g. Possession limits and felony thresholds for possession of cocaine by type such as powdered versus other form ('crack') without relation to parity in product volume/weight.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    This story sounds like two birds with one stone to me.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Janq,

I recognize the issue regarding the totality of facts in this case (Montford is no boyscout) but I still believe that we ought not deprive someone of the right to the means to defend their (or their family's) life unless we are willing to go ahead and deprive them of life itself. I don't believe that drug possession or sale (by themselves) ought to be capital offenses. Reason to shun them? Certainly! But not to hang them.

As far as my comment about whether you have ever committed a felony: of course I don't know you (if you are absolutely certain that you have never in your life committed a felony even unintentionally, then good for you, I wish I had that kind of certainty), I meant to say that I am not willing to stake my life or my freedom on the proposition that I have never committed a felony. I have certainly never been charged with a felony or even arrested on suspicion of having committed one, but I also know that no individual could be expected to know the sum total of all local, state and federal laws that dictate what is and is not a felony.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Bravisimo! I'm always happy to hear about criminals killing other criminals. Saves the rest of us the trouble while at the same time eliminating some trouble makers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links