UGLY: Miami (Little Haiti) Pastor Working Day Job As A Cabbie SHOT

UGLY: Miami (Little Haiti) Pastor Working Day Job As A Cabbie SHOT

This is a discussion on UGLY: Miami (Little Haiti) Pastor Working Day Job As A Cabbie SHOT within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not MY guy, folks! But this is an example of those mean streets my guy sometimes frequents when doing God's work. His church is in ...

Thread: UGLY: Miami (Little Haiti) Pastor Working Day Job As A Cabbie SHOT

Exclamation UGLY: Miami (Little Haiti) Pastor Working Day Job As A Cabbie SHOT

Not MY guy, folks! But this is an example of those mean streets my guy sometimes frequents when doing God's work. His church is in a "nice" part of town and yet a nearby church was robbed three weeks ago. Still, my Pastor/new sheepdog frequently goes wherever he's needed and that means into the heart of darkness sometimes.....

Posted on Wed, Jun. 24, 2009
    Robber shoots pastor working as cabbie in Northwest Miami-Dade

BY JOSE PAGLIERY AND WALTER MICHOT
    jpagliery@MiamiHerald.com

A pastor with a day job as a taxi driver was shot by an armed robber early Wednesday morning as he drove his cab in Northwest Miami-Dade.
    The driver, identified by friends and co-workers as Jacques Milien, was critically injured when he was shot multiple times near the intersection of Northwest 91st Street and Seventh Avenue. He was quickly taken to Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he is gravely injured but stable.

The 6:15 a.m. shooting appeared to be an armed robbery, according to Miami-Dade Police Department spokeswoman Rebeca Perez.

If so, it would be the second time in 24 hours that Super Yellow taxicab 851 has been robbed by a gunman -- in the same area.

Mauricio Lopez, who drove the same taxi Tuesday morning, was robbed at gunpoint shortly after starting his day shift. It was 9:15 a.m., and Lopez was driving southbound on Northwest Seventh Avenue when he was flagged down by a man in his 30s.

Seconds after entering the cab, the man pulled out a black pistol and started shouting nervously, Lopez said.

''Give me the money,'' the man shouted, according to Lopez.

''Yeah, yeah, don't worry sir. I'll give you whatever I have,'' Lopez responded.

The man snatched Lopez's wallet and cellphone, then ordered the driver to snake through a few streets before stopping, Lopez said.

The $200 that was taken from him nearly cost him his life, Lopez said.

Early the next morning, Elvia Recinos handed off taxi 851 to Milien, nicknamed ''Pastor'' by co-workers.

''Have a good day. Be careful,'' she told him.

''Same to you. God bless you,'' he responded, according to Recinos.

Minutes later, as he drove south on Northwest Seventh Avenue, he was shot several times by a man who police believe robbed him.

His attacker, police said, was a thin teenager with a short afro, standing about five-feet, six-inches tall. He fled after the shooting.

Miami-Dade fire rescue personnel were dispatched at 6:18 a.m. They found the shot taxi driver and rushed him off to the hospital. The taxi had swerved right and was resting on the right shoulder of the street. Streaks of blood were on the outside door frames of the driver's side and rear right passenger side.

Police officers later closed the southbound lanes of Northwest Seventh Avenue between 91st and 95th streets.

Hours after the shooting, friends and co-workers stood near the car, worried for Milien.

Sylvestre Robert, a cabbie for the last nine years, said he met Milien at a medical clinic in Haiti in 1975, when Milien was a Bible school student. He described Milien as a loving and pious family man who often greeted fellow Christians with hugs instead of handshakes.

''He is quiet, respectful,'' he said.

Robert said Milien uses his taxi driver job to support his wife and children and spends his remaining time with a small congregation in Northwest Miami-Dade. None of those present at the scene of the shooting said they knew the name of the church.

Robert and others said the shooting shows how dangerous their jobs are.

''You never know who you pick up,'' he said. ``You never know when you'll die -- or where.''

Lopez, who survived the armed robbery Tuesday, said he fears suffering the same fate as his co-worker.

''I'm scared now,'' Lopez said. ``I don't want to pick up nobody in the street. There's no protection.''
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Here's a big prayer request for this pastor.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

When you are down everyone kicks you. Prayers sent for the preacher.

Sad times...when a man works a second job to make ends meet and the lazy dirtbags roam the streets to take and kill.
    We need an all out assault on the nation's dirtbags...arm everyone. I'm just sayin'...

Stay armed...take no prisoners...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Did the pastor survive?

The thug can run, but he can't hide. His day's coming.

VIP Member
    Prayers for the Pastor and family for sure!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Spent 4 yrs in Miami following the Marielitos coming to our country.
    It was insane.

Doesn't sound much better now.
    Didn't carry then. Wouldn't go near the place without my EDC now.

Prayers for 'Pastor.'
    And a huge hope they find the scumbag who did this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Sponsored Links