Roanoke Times Op ED

This is a discussion on Roanoke Times Op ED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Concealed weapons are for safety - Roanoke.com Concealed weapons are for safety Bill Henderson Henderson, of Roanoke, is retired from the federal prison system. I ...

Thread: Roanoke Times Op ED

VIP Member

Thumbs up Roanoke Times Op ED

Concealed weapons are for safety - Roanoke.com

Concealed weapons are for safety

Bill Henderson
    Henderson, of Roanoke, is retired from the federal prison system.

I once again find myself at odds with your paper. Because the column "Get ready for guns in bars" by Dan Casey (June 21) appeared in the Virginia section instead of the editorial pages, I can only assume your editors saw it as a newsworthy story rather than the hit piece it is. You present your ideology on this issue in a twisted and biased way, which has become common practice for The Roanoke Times -- specifically, when you print material on the concealed-carry legislation for carrying a concealed weapon into an establishment serving alcohol, restaurants included.

If you were honest, you would have reported the facts and mentioned that the real reason for this bill was to allow lawfully licensed concealed-carry holders to enter any establishment serving alcohol, i.e., Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday, etc. The laws prohibit the consumption of alcohol and carrying any weapon.

To qualify for my permit I had to prove that I was a safe and responsible citizen. I was given a background check, reviewed and approved by my county sheriff, and approved by a judge. I don't patronize bars now, but I do enjoy eating in the nicer restaurants. Prior to retiring I had concealed-carry permits in previous states of residence -- Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Georgia and Kentucky. I underwent classes, security checks and weapons testing in some cases.

I believe it is my right and obligation to protect myself and family wherever I may be. I believe my family deserves a man who is as capable of protecting them as an evil person is capable of destroying them.

I also believe that a lawfully armed citizen in the right place at the right time can turn the tables on a tragedy. I have heard it said if only one student or teacher at Virginia Tech on April 16, 2007, had a concealed weapon, the number of those killed would have been fewer. Imagine if two good guys had weapons. Imagine if a lawfully armed citizen discovered this evil man in the moments before he began his killing spree.

When I was in high school in California, a gang member placed an ice pick against my throat and threatened to stab me. That was many years ago, and it still haunts me. I have felt a duty since then not to let evil sweep my life away.

The Times' tactics to marginalize concealed carry permit holders is un-American because it attacks a select group of us who have taken on a huge responsibility to protect ourselves and the community if the need arises. It is a moral responsibility to protect all life. Gun owners don't hide their guns so they can drink in bars. The weapons are concealed for defensive purposes only.

Again, it is only for law-abiding, responsible citizens. If you aren't either of these, don't get a permit.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Great letter!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Excellent. I'm surprised that they printed it. Too bad that they didn't put it in the News section like the Anti opinion piece.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Excellent. I'm surprised that they printed it.
    That is the one thing I'll give them. They will print opposing views, in the paper, itself -- not just RKBA but a whole spectrum of opinions they are against get space in Letters-To-the-Editor and in the Op Ed segment.

OTOH, whole discussions disappear when the tide of the discussion turns against one of their holier-than-thou, hypocritically writers on the WEB site.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Too bad that they didn't put it in the News section like the Anti opinion piece.

The amount of of sanctimonious value driven diatribe they pass off as News is disgusting.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links