Roanoke Times -- Letter to the Editor

This is a discussion on Roanoke Times -- Letter to the Editor within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/209428 Neither candidate is right on guns in bars Dan Casey's column "Get ready for guns in bars" (June 21) is excellent. Do the two ...

Thread: Roanoke Times -- Letter to the Editor

VIP Member

Roanoke Times -- Letter to the Editor

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/209428

Neither candidate is right on guns in bars

Dan Casey's column "Get ready for guns in bars" (June 21) is excellent. Do the two men running for governor -- Creigh Deeds and Bob McDonnell -- know the definition of a bar, which is where people gather to consume alcohol. That's how the bar owner makes a living.

The bill they want to sign into law making it legal for people going into a bar to bring a loaded weapon, as long as they do not consume alcohol, is without doubt the stupidest idea I've heard in 50 years.

Only a year ago in January, my neighbor's 21-year-old son was shot in a bar in downtown across from the City Market, thanks to the NRA and the Second Amendment.

Either Deeds and McDonnell are totally brain dead or they think that the voters are brain dead. I wish there were a third party I could vote for if this is the way Deeds and McDonnell plan to govern Virginia.

JOYCE ENDERLE
    ROANOKE
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Ok, well... it works here fine and there have been no issues.... for CC holders.

Now, have their been shootings at bars.. yes... by gang bangers who had the guns illegally, carried them illegally, etc.

And that has what to do with law-abiding, responsible citizens ?

VIP Member
    We can carry in bars too and the only occasion I can recall where a CCWer used a gun in a bar was to stop a gunman shooting at the owner of the bar!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Hey, Joyce, your neighbor's kid was shot by someone ALREADY BREAKING THE LAW. It's not hard for Joyce to piece it together..."guns in bars" are currently illegal in VA, ergo the shooter was a felon before he pulled the trigger. If the new Governor does the right thing, perhaps someone in that bar who ISN'T a felon might be able to defend themselves.

The NRA and the second amendment didn't have anything to do with her neighbors' son getting killed in a bar; Most likely it was due to the fact that he went to a bar and found the wrong kind of trouble in it.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

We can carry in establishments that serve food and alcohol (excluding bars and bar areas in such places). We can even have a drink WITH a meal.
    The gun is concealed and there are no signs.
    I've not heard of any incidents here in FL...no smoking guns here!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links