Off-Duty Cop Shoots 2 in Parking Lot After Angels Game

This is a discussion on Off-Duty Cop Shoots 2 in Parking Lot After Angels Game within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Off-Duty Cop Shoots 2 in Parking Lot After Angels Game - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com Off-Duty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off-Duty Cop Shoots 2 in Parking Lot After Angels Game

Off-Duty Cop Shoots 2 in Parking Lot After Angels Game - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Thursday, June 25, 2009

ANAHEIM, Calif. — An off-duty police officer shot and wounded two men who had assaulted him in the crowded Angel Stadium parking lot after Wednesday night's Colorado Rockies-Los Angeles Angels game, authorities said.

The officer, who was walking to his car with his wife and two small children about 25 minutes after the game, was hit in the head with a bottle or club, police Sgt. Tim Schmidt said.

"We think he was the victim of a crime," Schmidt said.

The off-duty officer then shot the men with his duty weapon, Schmidt said. Police did not immediately identify the officer or the shooting victims.

One man was shot in the head and was in critical condition, the other was shot in the upper arm and in serious but stable condition. The officer also had a serious head wound. All three were taken to hospitals.

No one else in the parking lot was hurt, Schmidt said.

The Orange County District Attorney's office joined the Anaheim Police department in investigating the incident, which is required in officer-involved shootings.

The Angels had beaten the Rockies 11-3 earlier in the evening.

Rachel Cordova was among the startled and confused fans in the parking lot.

"We heard three shots and turned around and I thought, 'Those are gun shots,'" Cordova told KNX radio. "One of the guys I was with said 'No, it's not' but then we heard sirens."

Cordova said she then walked toward the scene.

"I left there and saw a young, maybe 20-year-old male laying on the ground without his shirt, and they were attending to him," she said.
    Nightmare scenario. Wife and kids, people everywhere, assaulted with a blow to the head.

Good response from LEO, if all reported is accurate.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Wonder why they didn't use the headline "Off-duty Police Officer Assaulted After Game"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Wonder why they didn't use the headline "Off-duty Police Officer Assaulted After Game"
    They dont call it the "liberal media" for nothing...always put a downhill slant on it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Good LEO and good shoot.

However, I can almost see the CA liberal headline :

"Gun-slinging Nut Shoots Poor Downtrodden Individuals Trying to Survive in Today's Economy"
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I be willing to bet a large amount of money that the good officer was a very obvious Angels fan or standing too close to someone who was.
    If you cannot stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself..."Baa."

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by airworthy View Post
    I be willing to bet a large amount of money that the good officer was a very obvious Angels fan or standing too close to someone who was.

We should ban all professional sports they cause assults and in some cases even rioting.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

"The Cops and Robbers Open"

Cops 2

Robbers 0

Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have high hopes for the perp who was shot in the head. Hopefully tomorrow we'll hear good news that he has passed on to his reward. As for the other scum bag, I expect he'll get a wrist-slap.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Yeah for the HOME TEAM. Angels win, Cop wins, bad guys lose. Praying for that police officer and his head injury.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Hope police officer has a speedy recovery.Guess we know why they carry off duty
    any why we should carry every time we go out the door.

Sounds like a good shoot to me. What makes me mad is you have to be leo in order to carry at a pro sporting event in FL. So if it would have been a regular CCW holder he wouldn't have been legally allowed to carry/defend his life......steps off the soap box
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    Sounds like a good shoot to me. What makes me mad is you have to be leo in order to carry at a pro sporting event in FL. So if it would have been a regular CCW holder he wouldn't have been legally allowed to carry/defend his life......steps off the soap box
    Anaheim, CA, home of the Angels, I presume.

Not that I disagree with the rest of your sentiment.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    I have high hopes for the perp who was shot in the head. Hopefully tomorrow we'll hear good news that he has passed on to his reward. As for the other scum bag, I expect he'll get a wrist-slap.
    No, since his victim was a police officer, he'll face significant sanctions. Had the victim been a 'mere' CCW holder, then I would agree (on the other hand, it's a good thing this happened at Angels Stadium instead of Dodgers Stadium as only on duty LEO's are allowed to carry there).

Ryan

ETA, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear about Angels Stadium adding metal detectors after this incident even though their presence would have only disarmed the good guy...
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Also incredible that he managed to get a headshot plus a near headshot on the second suspect, all after sustaining a serious injury from a blunt force to the head.

Hopefully those two scumbags are put out of commission permenately, and the cop makes a full recovery. He was protecting his family, totally in the right.

It's just sad that a regular citizen would have been far less likely to be carrying given the difficulty of getting a permit in many counties in CA.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Good LEO and good shoot.

However, I can almost see the CA liberal headline :

"Gun-slinging Nut Shoots Poor Downtrodden Individuals Trying to Survive in Today's Economy"
    Isn't this the truth..

We all should be able to carry,.. ALL times - ALL legal.. This again proves that the need is there,. Never know when something will happen..

Prayers for the family,. I hope that the LEO get's a quick recovery..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links