FloriDUH: Man shoots neighbor twice in the back -- over cats. Say cats "are people to

This is a discussion on FloriDUH: Man shoots neighbor twice in the back -- over cats. Say cats "are people to within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Orlando Sentinel - FloriDUH: Man shoots neighbor twice in the back -- over cats. Say cats "are people too." by FloriDUH: Man shoots neighbor twice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FloriDUH: Man shoots neighbor twice in the back -- over cats. Say cats "are people to

FloriDUH: Man shoots neighbor twice in the back -- over cats. Say cats "are people to

Orlando Sentinel - FloriDUH: Man shoots neighbor twice in the back -- over cats. Say cats "are people too." by

FloriDUH: Man shoots neighbor twice in the back -- over cats. Say cats "are people too."

posted by Barbara Hijek on Jun 25, 2009 829 AM

Frederick Heustis, 67, admits he shot his neighbor. Heustis.jpg

"Yes, I'm the bad guy," he said from an interview room in the Land O'Lakes jail, where he is being held on a charge of attempted murder, reports the St. Petersburg Times

He shot his neighbor Joseph Sosnowski, 68 twice in the back on Sosnowski's porch. The bullets exited through his chest.

Sosnowski, who spent 12 years working as a detention deputy in the very jail where his neighbor sits, is in stable condition and recovering.

Heustis said it was about his cats. He has about nine of them and they live outside. Heustis suspects Sosnowski's grandson and another neighbor have been killing them. "Thirteen dead in three years," Heustis said.

Divorced and with a grown son who sometimes visits, Heustis said he lives alone with his two birds Tweetie Deetie and Hoodie Doodie and his cats.

"That's my family," he said. "And I'm going to protect them."

He said he has found his cats shot inside his yard, but the authorities told him there's nothing they can do. "They didn't see it happen," he said. Heustis said he was in his yard working on his tractor when Sosnowski called to him through the fence. "I tried to ignore him," Heustis said.

After Sosnowski called to him a second time, Heustis replied: "Hey, Joe, what's the problem?" Heustis said Sosnowski told him that one of his cats a black cat named Black Kitty had been sitting on his grass in his yard for four days. Heustis said he told him to spray the cat with some water and he'll go away.

They argued and parted, Heustis said, and he went inside to his bedroom. He said he started shaking, and his whole body got flushed with rage. "I was burning up," he said. "And I couldn't take it anymore." Then he said: "I picked up my revolver and put it in my pocket." He walked over to Sosnowski's house. He said they argued some more and Sosnowski grabbed the phone to call the police.

"When he had the phone in his hand, I was like, 'If I'm going to jail, it's going to be for a good reason,' " Heustis said.

And he shot him. Twice.

He said he kept thinking of his cats: "Leave my cats alone. They are people too."

He said jail life is much like his regular life: eating, napping, watching TV. Although television upsets him. "Everything is so violent," he said. "They don't have any Ozzie and Harriet anymore."

He said he wasn't able to sleep well in his house because of his worry for his cats. "For three years, I put up with it," he said. "I'm mad as hell."

But, he said: "Last night I slept better than I have in a long time."
    So wrong at so many levels...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Wow, he's right where he should be.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

He ought to be out on a ledge somewhere.....

al

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Dumb AND sad. Hope he stays in jail. I love my dogs like my own children, but are you KIDDING me? If this guy really loved and cared for his cats, he would be keeping them INSIDE (in the first place) where nobody could hurt them!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Sounds like a serious case of mental illness there.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    That's 22 cats, living outdoors. The things are an ecological disaster when allowed to run loose.

Now the idiot will serve life, and his cats will be put in a shelter and probably given the needle .
    So exactly what did Mr. Heustis accomplish?
    Hope he enjoys his new retirement plan.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Now the idiot will serve life, and his cats will be put in a shelter and probably given the needle .
    So exactly what did Mr. Heustis accomplish?
    Hope he enjoys his new retirement plan.
    Not a chance...Life? For attempted murder? With a Plea Of Insanity? He'll serve 6-12 months in a mental institution and maybe some sort of therapy afterwords.

The only jail time this guy is going to see is while he is waiting for his arraignment.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Not a chance...Life? For attempted murder? With a Plea Of Insanity? He'll serve 6-12 months in a mental institution and maybe some sort of therapy afterwords.

The only jail time this guy is going to see is while he is waiting for his arraignment.
    Florida 10-20-LIFE -- Mandatory Minimum Prison Sentences
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Interesting site, but from what I understand, it only applies if he is found guilty.

It sounds like this guy is either setting up for, or a perfect candidate for, 'Not Guilty by reason of insanity'.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Thank you
    I actually had forgotten about that for a second.
    Needless to say, its one of the few laws I do like. Its harsh, but it gets them off the streets longer. Not long enough, but I think permanent is just long enough.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    This story is just plain sad. It reflects our society's goofy valuing animals above people.
    I sure like my cat, but in no way am I going to attempt to take a human life on his behalf.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Those cats will now be removed, and most likely eventually euthanized, sooner than usual because of budget cuts.

Congratulations *******, you just condemned your precious "family" to death.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    what a loony...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Being completely serious, I'm thinking that this guy has been suffering from a mental condition.

He knew what he was doing, and has done, and he did it with intent and malice.
    But none the less he is at that, per the statements provided in the quote along with the circumstantial information provided, not seeming to be in a proper/healthy mental state.

Basically another crazy guy acting, and talking, crazy...with a gun.

- Janq

Edit: Revised sentence three with commas for better reading quality, at the suggestion of PNUT. :p
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links