Widow vows to find husband's killer (TN)

This is a discussion on Widow vows to find husband's killer (TN) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported at VolunteerTV.com: Widow vows to find husband's killer Posted: 5:58 PM May 4, 2009 Last Updated: 6:08 PM May 4, 2009 Reporter: Amber ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Widow vows to find husband's killer (TN)

Widow vows to find husband's killer (TN)

As reported at VolunteerTV.com:

Widow vows to find husband's killer

Posted: 5:58 PM May 4, 2009
    Last Updated: 6:08 PM May 4, 2009
    Reporter: Amber Miller
    Email Address: amber.miller@wvlt-tv.com
    3 comments

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- "This is my husband. That's the best part of me," Vickie Graves told WVLT, as she held a picture of her husband Billy. "That's the only part of me. And I've lost it."

Now a widow, Graves says after the tears comes the anger and determination.

She's ready to talk about what happened Saturday night when two masked men forced their way into her home at 9920 Washington Pike.

"We have a sensor on our driveway and I heard two buzzes," Graves explained.

That noise interrupted the couple's movie night.
    They weren't expecting anyone, so Billy got up to see who it was.

"The door was jerked open and this guy just wrapped his arms around him," Graves said, recalling when the masked men burst in.

The first man grabbed Billy, the second waved a weapon.

"He had that gun pointed and he was hollering 'sit down, sit down,' " Graves told WVLT.

Next came a struggle. Billy went for a gun in the bedroom. That's when Vickie heard gunfire.

She says she had nothing to lose at that point, so she reached for another gun kept in the living room.

"I kept pulling the trigger and just pulling, pulling, pulling. I couldn't get the safety. I don't know. I hate guns."

She couldn't fire
    , but Vickie was able to get a look at that man's face.

"I reached up and I pulled his toboggan off and threw it in the floor and I also pulled his bandanna down, so I do know what he looks like," Graves said.

The suspects rushed out of there, quickly after that taking the safe they had come for.

Graves says she's not sure what they thought was in there, but they only got away with a coin collection.

"I just want them to know that they killed Bill for a quarter," Graves said through tears.

Graves says only about five people knew about that safe, so she can only imagine someone told those men where it was.

Investigators are working several leads, but if you have any information, please call (865) 215-2243.

The story can be found at; Widow vows to find husband's killer

- Janq

Lesson to learn:
    It is not a requirement in life for a person to like firearms, aka 'guns'.
    You do not have to be a 'gun person' to have and know how to properly operate a firearm.

If this woman had taken it upon herself to make the personal and individual _choice_ to learn how to operate the emergency personal safety tools her husband had kept in their home for such purpose, then she would have been functional in defending herself never mind that of her husband who in her own words was killed for a quarter.

I'm not a fire fighter type of person nor have I ever wanted to be one, but damn if I don't have fire extinguishers in my home and know how to use them and have actually _been trained_ in use of as much, by my local fire department who have a whole mockup just for such training of personnel and citizens too. So that in the off but very real in the real world chance that I find myself amongst a house fire I will be functional toward defending myself or family from injury or even death and be able to escape/flee to safety.
    This ladies "hate" for guns nearly got her killed. Pulling down the guys mask and bandanna doesn't mean jack and is functionally useless. He made his own choice to not injure or kill her too, to which she with a gun in hand that she didn't know how to operate would be utterly unable to do anything about...and by that have no choice at all.

Bottom line - She made a personal and individual choice to have no choice or say in the matter of of her husbands death nor that of her own life. Considering we live in the only country in the world that recognizes such a human choice, it is sad that she clearly made the wrong choice.
    Last edited by Janq; June 25th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

That is sad,.. Wish she had learned how to use that "personal defense tool" ... To bad Bill didn't have that "personal defense tool" on his person when he went to answer that door,.. Could have saved his life,. Now we're had this discussion on why we carry 24/7 even when we're in our home, this is a prime example of why you NEVER set your weapon down, unless it is right next to you on the couch...

Another lesson to learn keep your door locked

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    That is sad,.. Wish she had learned how to use that "personal defense tool" ... To bad Bill didn't have that "personal defense tool" on his person when he went to answer that door,.. Could have saved his life,. Now we're had this discussion on why we carry 24/7 even when we're in our home, this is a prime example of why you NEVER set your weapon down, unless it is right next to you on the couch...
    I agree, another perfect example of having one's firearm within reach in the home.
    Adrenaline can confuse anyone, not knowing how to take off the safety means 'no muscle memory'...something that comes from practice.
    This woman wil now probably learn how to properly use and fire the correct 'tools' for the job...but a little late.
    Sad situations in so many ways; she will never be the same again.

I hope these dirtbags and 'buried' soon.

Stay armed...get training and practice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Excellent post Janq.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Adrenaline can confuse anyone, not knowing how to take off the safety means 'no muscle memory'...something that comes from practice.
    That is a prime reason why I like revolvers for defense. In a high-stress situation your best bet is to keep things as simple as you can. It doesn't get any simpler than a wheelgun.

Thugs need a dirt nap.

Two things: Absolutely right about not liking the gun, just knowing how to use it when the need arises....

Second, Hopefully, when she ripped the mask off, it stayed at the house. The Police can get DNA off of any skin cells or sweat and use it to convict the perps.

But I am with everybody else that feels they should take a "dirt nap"..
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Here's a story to remember when we talk about whether or not it's an advantage to have multiple safeties on a firearm. I love my 1911 but this story gives me pause. I have a Kahr and two Glocks that might be better to have as "house guns". My wife could make the same mistake.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    This is incredibly sad, more so for her knowing she MIGHT have been able to help defend herself and late husband, but she COULDN'T because of her ignorance. And by ignorance, I only mean that she was uneducated about proper use/function. There were guns in the house. As the rest of you have said, you don't have to like 'em, but you need to know how to use 'em. Mr. Bunny is not all that thrilled about firearms, but he went to the range and shot a few mags through my gun. (He's a terrible shot, but he refuses to go anymore and practice.) Point being, he KNOWS how to use it if he NEEDS to. Bunny Jr. fires a few mags every trip to the range (weekly now) from my Sig 9mm, and a few hundred rounds through his .22 every time.

There are guns in our home. Love 'em or hate 'em, they're here to stay. We all know how to use/fire them, whether we will ever need to or not. I think it's best that way. Too bad this widow didn't see things the same way.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

A situation we can all learn a lesson from. Knowldege is power and in the right place can be a life saver. Too often people just don't want to take the time to learn and it can have deadly consequences. Too many mistakes on their part in this, but still sad that it happend.

My wife wanted to learn how to shoot and shoot properly. She had not been around firearms for a while, but wanted to know how mine worked, just in case she needed to use one of them. So I have trained her in their use. She loves to shoot, so I have no fear that she won't be able to use either the revolver or the semi-auto. I'm glad she made the effort.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Some lessons are harsh.

Some are learned too late.

She hates guns, and probably avoided them all she could. Yet that is where she turned when her life was on the line. Her avoidance of guns and lack of practice would have contributed to her death had the invaders chosen to kill her.

I'm not blaming her for the home invasion. But her and her husband's pre-home invasion choices were factors in the outcome.

If he had been carrying on him, he might have stood a better chance of repelling the invaders and living himself. If she knew how to operate the gun, she might not be looking for the killers now.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Every day when I holster and unholster, I snap off the safety, pause, then reengage before putting the weapon away.

I hope this gives me the proper combat reaction if I ever have to draw under fire or other stress.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

This is another reason i like glocks. Be sure that anyone that may have to use the weapons in your homes knows how to use them. Its almost worse that she had a gun and couldnt get it to fire. I cant imagine how helpless she felt in that situation knowing she may have been able to do something, had the tools to do something, and just couldnt put it together. Now her husband is dead.

A quarter for the life of a decent person. Too bad it will cost a fortune for a trial and incarceration (if any) once or if the scumbags are caught.

"Now we're had this discussion on why we carry 24/7 even when we're in our home, this is a prime example of why you NEVER set your weapon down, unless it is right next to you on the couch..." WELL SAID

Have one handy, know how to use it well, and think about the unthinkable.

bosco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links