What kind of police chief is this..??

This is a discussion on What kind of police chief is this..?? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Taken from: Civilian Gun Self-Defense Blog Clerk's gun scares off would-be robber | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register Clerk's gun scares off would-be robber ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of police chief is this..??

What kind of police chief is this..??

Taken from: Civilian Gun Self-Defense Blog

Clerk's gun scares off would-be robber | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Clerk's gun scares off would-be robber

Dominic Mathew had always felt it was better to give an armed robber what they asked for.

His philosophy changed after his Food Pantry store on Lower Beaver Road was held up several times, one time with a thief behind the counter and holding a gun to his neck.

He got a handgun.

On Tuesday, the third time the store was held up, he and a robber were in a face-off with their weapons.

“The guy came in from the side (of the store)” and walked in the front door, Mathew said. “That’s where they usually come from. The guy came in with a hoodie on. It was awfully warm on Tuesday, too warm for a hoodie.”

Mathew, 30, already had his gun drawn when the robber walked in, he said. The suspect lowered his gun immediately upon seeing the handgun.

The would-be robber ran out the door.

“I didn’t want to get to this point,” said Mathew. “But there have been a lot of robberies. Times are tough. A lot of people are out of work.”

Police Chief Judy Bradshaw said detectives are still investigating. She said clerks can make a situation more dangerous by adding a second gun to the equation.

“Robbers don’t want to shoot,” Bradshaw said. “They want what they came for. From a public safety perspective there are so many more possible outcomes when clerks arm themselves.”

On Tuesday three other convenience stores in the city reported thefts from cash registers. None of them were armed robberies. One man has been arrested and charged with all three incidents.

The armed robber who tried to steal from Mathew has not been caught.

WTH?
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    yeah wth that's an anti civilian gun chief there
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; June 26th, 2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Language workaround.
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orygun2 View Post
    From a public safety perspective there are so many more possible outcomes when clerks arm themselves
    Yeah like the clerk getting shot even if he was willing to give up the cash.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

“Robbers don’t want to shoot,” Bradshaw said. “They want what they came for. From a public safety perspective there are so many more possible outcomes when clerks arm themselves.”
    So the chief law enforcement officer of this town is advocating giving in to the criminals? If so why is there a police force there?
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

Actually she's right.

You can increase the danger by having the clerk armed and most armed robberies don't involve the clerk being shot.

The thing is, when you point a gun at someone, the person having the gun pointed at them is at the mercy of the gun holder and you have to believe they would pull the trigger otherwise they wouldn't have introduced the gun. Therefore if I am the one having the gun pointed at him, having the believe that you can and will shoot me, I can only hope to respond appropriately.

I don't see anything "anti" in what the Chief said. It was a statement that I agree with. Look at it this way, every cop that rolls on a fight call knows there is at least one gun present on every call, his or her's. That does increase the danger to a degree. Just because you make something more dangerous doesn't mean it's wrong.

Now before everyone gets their panties in a wad, I never said I was against having armed clerks, or using lethal force when justified. If someone can't comprehend what I said I'm sure a local Adult Education class is located in your area to help you understand the big words.

Biker

Actually she's right some of the time, other times when the criminal is high on PCP or a dozen other drugs they may STEAL YOUR MONEY AND THEN SHOOT YOU ANYWAY. If you want to take that chance, that's your choice, but I find it highly offensive that a paid public official thinks that the law abiding public should give armed criminals whatever they want.

Let me google that for you

If someone can't comprehend what I said I'm sure a local Adult Education class is located in your area to help you understand the big words.
    This may be tongue in cheek, but comments like this aren't really pertinent to the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    She never said to just give them the money and hope, or give them what they want. She just made a factual statement that obviously wasn't comprehended by some readers.

Biker

I'm afraid you are reading more in to it than there may be.
    Well it seems pretty cut and dry to me. She plainly said the only want what they came for. Just how do you interpret that statement?
    Last edited by JD; June 27th, 2009 at 01:03 AM.
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

Actually she's right some of the time, other times when the criminal is high on PCP or a dozen other drugs they may STEAL YOUR MONEY AND THEN SHOOT YOU ANYWAY. If you want to take that chance, that's your choice, but I find it highly offensive that a paid public official thinks that the law abiding public should give armed criminals whatever they want.

She never said to just give them the money and hope, or give them what they want. She just made a factual statement that obviously wasn't comprehended by some readers.

I'm afraid you are reading more in to it than there may be.

This may be tongue in cheek, but comments like this aren't really pertinent to the topic.
    Actually it is.

And with that I will rest my case. I'm done with this thread.

Biker

This statement=

The police cannot protect you, but you should not take measures protect yourself because it is too dangerous.

Or?

Give them anything they want and they may or may not shoot you multiple times after they have robbed, beaten ,raped or sodimized you.

Make no mistake, in this situation, I'm responding with deadly force.

Muk

"They only want what they came for."

Too bad that no one knows if that includes your life.
    I'd rather that the robber gets shot than what they came for.

I agree...

By the way, that 'Let Me Google It For You' is pretty clever. How did you get the curser to be part of that? Curious...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I'm all for increasing the risk that someone will get shot.

The armed robber, for starts.

Consider, "hot" burglaries are lower in the US than in England. Why? Because of the higher risk that "someone might get shot". Apply the same to armed robbers in stores.

That was cool, maybe your could send that google link to her.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Of course adding a gun to the situation will make it more dangerous. That is the whole freaking idea. Saying 'Pretty Please' just doesn't stop robbers, rapists, and murderers anymore. You add force to overcome the threat to you, ideally leading to the ultimate reduction of threat do you.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Pretty sure I want the odds to be a little more in my favor!!!! During my CPL class the sheriff that ran the "legal" portion of the class repeated over and over that robbers don't want to shoot anyone, they just want the money, so don't interfere. I kept thinking to myself, they shouldn't come in with a gun then! I'm not in favor of playing chance with my own life.

LAC's who choose to exercise the right to defend themselves cherish their own lives, criminals do not.......

She'd fit right in in NJ.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links