BAD: Masked men storm home

This is a discussion on BAD: Masked men storm home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Masked men storm home, bind Sarasota woman and rob her Masked men storm home, bind Sarasota woman and rob her By ANTHONY CORMIER Sarasota Herald-Tribune ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Masked men storm home, bind Sarasota woman and rob her

Masked men storm home, bind Sarasota woman and rob her

By ANTHONY CORMIER

Sarasota Herald-Tribune

Published: June 26, 2009

SARASOTA COUNTY - Two masked men stormed a home on Holiday Drive this afternoon, bound a young woman and burglarized her house, deputies say.

Deputies with dogs were trying to track the men and did not immediately say whether the case was related to a string of other home invasions across the region. The house where the robbery occurred is in the Snug Harbor neighborhood, west of U.S. 41 about a mile north of Vamo Road.

The woman, whose name was not immediately released, was working on a computer when the men came in through an unlocked front door shortly before 2 p.m., says sheriff's spokeswoman Wendy Rose.

The men put a pillow case over the woman's head, tied her up and went from room to room stealing items, Rose said.

They ran off, leaving residents to wonder whether this robbery had anything to do with 11 other violent attacks.

The victim on Holiday Drive did not appear to be beaten. In the other cases linked by lawmen to a single suspect someone has bound, gagged and beaten women. Two of the women were sexually assaulted and one woman was killed.

Could have been much much worse.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Man, Sarasota is turning into an Orlando or Jax....
    Keeping one's door's locked 24/7 is a must in today's world.

Dirtbags willing to enter one's private dwelling deserve instant and permanent 'dirtnap' certification.

Having a dog (even a little one) and a weapon should be part of everyone's HD package. OMO

This woman is luck to have escaped with out a much worse outcome.

Stay armed...you never know when...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Two in the afternoon.......

Any time, anywhere.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I can't believe that there are still people that do not lock their doors and sleep with their windows open. Lots of sheep out there.

A Nice Rotty, Dobie, Shep, or even a pit would be a good addition.

My dog looks part wolf. I love the reactions to people who meet him at the door.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Agree to all above who said lock the doors and get a dog. A dog is ten times better than any alarm. OMO
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Agree to all above who said lock the doors and get a dog. A dog is ten times better than any alarm. OMO
    +1. Agreed.

I have a Rott, my kids have a Jack Russell, and they work pretty well together. The JR is more observant with what is going on both inside and outside (because she's so dang hyper), and my Rott takes his cues from her.

This woman was lucky that all they did to her was tie her up, especially with the killings/beatings it sounds like her neighborhood is plagued with.
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plop View Post
    This woman was lucky that all they did to her was tie her up, especially with the killings/beatings it sounds like her neighborhood is plagued with.
    My thoughts exactly. And her neighborhood needs to wake up and take precautions, assuming they havn't already. Day or night, weekday or weekend, you always have to be ready and take precautions.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Yep, agreed you have to have some way to warn of intruders; I don't have a dog (wife is very allergic) but I do have a very good alarm, with motion sensor lights and a video camera system w/DVR recorder. If anyone enters the yard, the lights go off and I get a beep in my bedroom, I have these lights on all sides of the house, so nothing can approach without me knowing it. The video cameras are in different spots and can allow me to see if my visitors have 2 or 4 legs, so I will at least be prepared. I added the motion light/video camera setup after thinking about how much time we would have to react to a home invasion at 3am when everyone was dead asleep, so I hope that way I at least have a heads up before a door gets kicked in....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plop View Post
    +1. Agreed.

I have a Rott, my kids have a Jack Russell, and they work pretty well together. The JR is more observant with what is going on both inside and outside (because she's so dang hyper), and my Rott takes his cues from her.
    That's pretty funny because my Boston Terrier is the lookout, my male Boxer is the enforcer. Most people want no part of a male boxer who looks like he eats steroids for lunch. My god the dog makes me feel like I need to hit the gym more often!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

My entire family still teases me for locking the door at 9pm at night. >:

Why was her front door unlocked? Your exterior doors should always be locked.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Why was her front door unlocked? Your exterior doors should always be locked.
    this should be the #1 Rule ..
    if it isnt should start......... one never knows who is shaking door knobs to see which is the easiest mark.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I grew up in Sarasota... Snug Harbor is not some neighborhood with thugs and gangbangers... definitely upper middle class, and the properties get more and more expensive the further west you go (closer to the Gulf).

Any time, any place...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    That's terrible! Her doors should have been locked though, and +1 on the dog idea. At the very least, the BG would have lost the element of surprise with all the barking, and she could have gone for her gun (if she had one)!

Happy to rent out these two: best "perimeter alarms" known to man. (Of course, they run and hide behind my legs instead of posture at a stranger, but still...)

I'm glad it was not any worse for her. And I hope they catch the BGs. Maybe they'll break into the home of a family of Rotties or Mastiffs. Who eat raw. And are hungry for BG meat!
    Attached Images
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links