Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

This is a discussion on Letter to Editor within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Roanoke Times, Roanoke VA Not bars; restaurants that serve drinks Several of your letter writers, as well as your editorial staff, persist in claiming that ...

VIP Member

Letter to Editor

Roanoke Times, Roanoke VA

Not bars; restaurants that serve drinks

Several of your letter writers, as well as your editorial staff, persist in claiming that guns in bars will result in a veritable blood bath in Virginia. This same claim was made (and has been proven erroneous) when the requirements for obtaining a concealed-carry permit were made specific and not left up to the discretion of the issuing authority.

Would someone please point out to these writers that the correct term should be "restaurants that also serve alcoholic beverages?" We don't have bars in Virginia. And the reason I would like to be able to carry my own legally authorized gun in a restaurant is that I am tired of being confined to fast-food restaurants when I want to celebrate a family birthday, anniversary, etc.

While one may not feel there is any danger inside any of our local establishments, I suggest taking a stroll through any restaurant parking lot after dark.

JACK COLLINS
    ROCKY MOUNT
    Last edited by DaveH; June 28th, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Interesting perspective although I fail to understand why this is so controversial.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Someone could also point to all of the other states that allow carry in restaurants that serve liquor, some in bars even,and how about the ones where you can drink and carry ? No bloodbaths there, except for the ones perpetrated by armed criminals .

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Someone could also point to all of the other states that allow carry in restaurants that serve liquor, some in bars even,and how about the ones where you can drink and carry ? No bloodbaths there, except for the ones perpetrated by armed criminals .
    Exactly...
    Florida is an excellent example, and they even allow the 'gun nuts' to have a with their meal (no flaming, just sayin'...). You havent heard of any blood baths down here.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Quit trying to confuse them! Since when has the anti-gun establishment resorted to looking at facts?

Yeah, in Maine, CCCW (civilians carrying concealed weapons) are allowed to carry in bars, and we are at or very near the bottom of the heap as far as crime is concerned.

It is sad and exasperating how some people will choose to ignor the facts.

Seems some people have a hard time understanding that for the most part permit holders are the good guys.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Yeah, in Maine, CCCW (civilians carrying concealed weapons) are allowed to carry in bars, and we are at or very near the bottom of the heap as far as crime is concerned.

It is sad and exasperating how some people will choose to ignore the facts.

The same people who know the future ("what will happen if we let people carry guns into bars") and what's best for all of us (living under their control) - while ignoring the heroes and battles that won them the luxury to spew their nonsense. The same people who don't see the benefit of living in a free society and wouldn't recognize an advance in freedom. I guess life is easy ignoring the facts and living on the public dime.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Links