Strange: Pulled over by trooper, man shoots self in head on Thruway

This is a discussion on Strange: Pulled over by trooper, man shoots self in head on Thruway within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happened yesterday, just down the road from me. Pulled over by trooper, man shoots self in head on Thruway - The Daily Freeman News: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange: Pulled over by trooper, man shoots self in head on Thruway

Strange: Pulled over by trooper, man shoots self in head on Thruway

This happened yesterday, just down the road from me.

Pulled over by trooper, man shoots self in head on Thruway - The Daily Freeman News: Serving the Hudson Valley

NEW PALTZ — A man was in critical condition Monday evening after shooting himself in the head while in a stopped vehicle on the Thruway, according to state police.

Investigators at the state police barracks in Highland said the 48-year-old man, who was alone in the vehicle, was northbound on the highway, just north of Exit 18 (New Paltz), when he fired a single bullet into his head after being pulled over by a trooper.

Investigators did not identify the man or say why he had been pulled over. They also did not say what might have precipitated the shooting or what type of gun was used.

The vehicle reportedly was a blue Jeep.

The incident happened about 3:30 p.m. Monday near mile marker 76 on the Thruway and brought northbound traffic to a standstill.

The gunshot victim was flown from the scene in a Stat Flight medical helicopter about an hour later and was in critical condition Monday evening in the Intensive Care Unit at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, police said.

Kevin Maguire, assistant chief of the New Paltz Fire Department, said about 12 firefighters responded to the scene to set up the landing zone for the helicopter.

He said the helicopter was able to touch down “pretty much right at” the site of the incident.

Northbound traffic in the short stretch between the New Paltz exit and the shooting scene was stopped for about 90 minutes during the investigation. Vehicles headed north from points south of New Paltz were diverted off the highway at the New Paltz exit.

Southbound traffic was not affected.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Who knows...there could possibly be a blue jeep for sale that just needs a good 'detailing'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Who knows...there could possibly be a blue jeep for sale that just needs a good 'detailing'...
    Hey, does that show up on the CarFax report? Or is that what they mean when they say, "It's a JEEP thing, you wouldn't understand?"
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Wow, that is weird! Isn't that right between Kingston and New Paltz? We always said there's something very "Stephen King" about some of the folks in that area. Sad though, but not all that surprising.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Wow, that is weird! Isn't that right between Kingston and New Paltz? We always said there's something very "Stephen King" about some of the folks in that area. Sad though, but not all that surprising.
    Hey, I'm from that area! No fair! Yes, it's between Kingston and New Paltz.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Sad story. I feel sorry for the LEO as well, that sort of thing is going to be with him for a long time.

Just a wild guess: maybe he didn't want to go back to prison.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    "some" of the folks, Jon...not you :) We lived in Shandaken. SCARY stories there. I still have nightmares.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    "some" of the folks, Jon...not you :) We lived in Shandaken. SCARY stories there. I still have nightmares.
    Just kidding, I didn't take it personally. I can't imagine though what could be scary up in Shandaken. All they have up there is Bellayre Mountain for skiing!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Update: Wounded driver remains critical

Wounded driver remains critical - The Daily Freeman News: Serving the Hudson Valley since 1871(DailyFreeman.com)

NEW PALTZ — The 48-year-old man who shot himself in the head during a traffic stop on the Thruway remained in critical condition on Tuesday, according to state police.

Lt. Pierce Gallagher declined to identify the man but said he was from Queensbury, near Glens Falls.

The man shot himself once with a .45-caliber handgun on Monday after being pulled over by a state trooper for driving erratically, Gallagher said. The incident happened about 3:30 p.m. on the northbound side of the Thruway, just north of the New Paltz exit.

Gallagher said the shooting happened after the man gave the trooper his driver’s license and registration and while the trooper was in his cruiser processing the information.

Gallagher said the gun, which police recovered at the scene, was purchased legally and that the driver had a permit for the weapon.

It remained unclear why the driver shot himself. The lieutenant said the man was not wanted for any crimes and that no illegal drugs were found in the vehicle.

The vehicle reportedly was a blue Jeep.

The man was flown by helicopter to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, where he remained on Tuesday.

Northbound Thruway traffic leading up to the shooting site was stopped for more than an hour after the incident.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Yikes..........just when you think things can't get any stranger...
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    That would be my guess also.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Originally Posted by grady View Post
    That update said... The lieutenant said the man was not wanted for any crimes and that no illegal drugs were found in the vehicle.

Bee-zar
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Thank goodness he didn't try to take the cop with him.

I wonder if he just got laid off from work?
    Or maybe facing a financial crisis at home?
    Or just found out his wife is leaving him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links