CCW shoots robbers in Baltimore...

This is a discussion on CCW shoots robbers in Baltimore... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: No Charges For Man Who Killed Attacker Adam May Reporting (WJZ) Baltimore, MD Sources inside the Baltimore City Police Department tell Eyewitness News' Adam ...

Thread: CCW shoots robbers in Baltimore...

VIP Member

Police: No Charges For Man Who Killed Attacker

Adam May
    Reporting

(WJZ) Baltimore, MD Sources inside the Baltimore City Police Department tell Eyewitness News' Adam May the man who shot a group of attempted armed robbers at the Cross Keys Shopping Center will most likely be cleared of any wrongdoing.

Mark Beckwith, 57, was getting ready to make a bank deposit Friday when he was attacked in broad daylight. At that point, police say Beckwith pulled out a handgun that he was permitted to carry and fatally shot 22-year-old Keith Love in the chest. Corey McLeaurin, 29, was apprehended after he went to the hospital for a non-fatal gunshot wound.

Police are in the process of questioning McLeaurin in the hope he will reveal the identities of two other men who abandoned the getaway car.

Under Maryland state law, police have discretion in issuing concealed weapons permits. In most cases, there must be documented threats against the permit seeker. There is also a provision for people who transport cash as part of their business practice.

Beckwith is a businessman who owns several gas stations that have been targeted by criminals before. According to the Department of Justice, 1% of all crime victims use a gun to defend themselves. But there is an ongoing debate on how effective concealed weapons permits are when it comes to deterring crime.

In the U.S. it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon in seven states, while it is legal with some restrictions in 29 states. Other states, like Maryland, make it difficult to get a permit.

Baltimore police are wrapping up their investigation into the shooting right now. Eyewitness News spoke with Beckwith Sunday, but his attorney urged him not to speak publicly until the investigation is complete.

Police will turn over their findings to the City State's Attorney's Office for a final review as early as this week.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like his CCW was pretty effective in deterring this crime!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

They should be talking about the perps charges, not his, but sometimes the media struggles with that concept.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    ...yet there are those that feel that citizens in the City of Baltimore should not have access to firearms.

I pray for Mr. Beckwith and his family. I hope their trauma over this situation is minimal and I also hope the state attorney's office gets a "no bill" if it does go before the grand jury.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    Wow - another MD CCW makes the news - I'd like to feel encouraged but I guess this one was only one of the miniscule minority.

Good for him tho - cut'n'dried it would seem. If everyone everywhere had the option to CCW the BG's would think way harder before trying this crap.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    Police: No Charges For Man Who Killed Attacker

Under Maryland state law, police have discretion in issuing concealed weapons permits. In most cases, there must be documented threats against the permit seeker. There is also a provision for people who transport cash as part of their business practice.

Beckwith is a businessman who owns several gas stations that have been targeted by criminals before.
    That says it all right now, no money, no threats, no political connections....... NO CCW! <SIGH>
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    Seems the media just can't accept the fact, CCW permits lower crime. When did our nation become a bunch of yellow cowards? I blame the hippies.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

But there is an ongoing debate on how effective concealed weapons permits are when it comes to deterring crime.
    Well this one certainly "deterred" an armed robbery!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

The news media is owned by anti-gun groups. When was the last time anyone saw a news report where the God Guy was shown in a good light even when he/she was correct in all ways. No body ever says the dead dude would still be alive and well if he/she had not decided to break the law in the first place. I call and write the news media EVERYTIME the get it wrong and I tell the they are wrong. If we all did this we could turn them around. Oh well some day in my perfect world all will be well.
    Philip L. McCleary
    Security via CCW
    and a lot of practice
    Dispatchers have the best jobs
    we tell the police where to go and they have
    to do it. Policy manual says so.

de N4LNE

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Not to mention neither Perp is likely to be carrying out anymore crimes

Sponsored Links