UGLY: Another reason to fear the Dentist's office

This is a discussion on UGLY: Another reason to fear the Dentist's office within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gunman Kills 1, Hurts 4 at SoCal Dental Office - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com Gunman Kills ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UGLY: Another reason to fear the Dentist's office

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Thumbs down UGLY: Another reason to fear the Dentist's office

Gunman Kills 1, Hurts 4 at SoCal Dental Office - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Gunman Kills 1, Hurts 4 at SoCal Dental Office
    Thursday, July 02, 2009
    Associated Press

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. — A gunman opened fire inside a busy dental office in an apparent domestic dispute Wednesday, killing one woman dead and critically wounding three others, police said. A fourth person was grazed by a bullet.

The suspect — wearing shorts, no shirt and with a shaved head — barricaded himself inside the Family Dental Care office, police Sgt. Karl Becker said. He surrendered after a hostage negotiator coaxed him out about an hour after the shootings.

Detectives did not release a motive or identify the suspect. But the Ventura County Star newspaper reported that a dental office worker said the gunman was married to the slain victim.

In the minutes after the attack, police evacuated more than a dozen people from the dentist's office and a chiropractic office next door, including two children who witnessed the shooting.

Carley Hodgson, an X-ray technician intern working next door, said she heard three shots in quick succession and huddled in the back room with six co-workers behind a locked door for about 30 minutes.

Shawn Peloquin, a mechanic who owns an auto repair shop behind the dentist's offices, saw people running out the back and into his driveway, including a man who had a stomach wound.

Peloquin said the injured man told him that his sister had been shot several times.

Peloquin and Becky Brown, a volunteer EMT, tried to stop the bleeding by applying pressure to the wound.

Simi Valley is about 35 miles northwest of Los Angeles.
    Reinforces the need to carry everywhere. Not just the sleezy corner gas station. With the exception of the needles, grinders, and jack hammers, I'd normally feel pretty safe at the dentist's office - guess not...
    Last edited by tinkerinWstuff; July 2nd, 2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: add comment
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

A dentist's office, a church, a drug store, a busy city street, a driveway, a city park, or in your car...dirtbags have little sense of appropriateness (if there is such a thing).

Stay armed...anywhere, anytime...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A perfect example of why I too like you guys will and do carry everywhere and anywhere I can do so, legally.
    My wife gave me heck once a few years back for grabbing a gun and spare mag before headingoff to a dentist appt. She thought I was being "silly".

Anywhere, any time, any one, by anybody with anything and everything.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Gunman Kills 1, Hurts 4 at SoCal Dental Office
    Thursday, July 02, 2009
    Associated Press

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. A gunman opened fire inside a busy dental office in an apparent domestic dispute Wednesday, killing one woman dead and critically wounding three others, police said. A fourth person was grazed by a bullet.
    I know this is off-topic, but I cannot stand the basic inability of many journalists to write a story while properly using the English language, as well as actually giving pertinent facts.

"...killing one woman dead..." Are you kidding me?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I know this is off-topic, but I cannot stand the basic inability of many journalists to write a story while properly using the English language, as well as actually giving pertinent facts.

I think newspaper staffs have been cut so much (for whatever reason) that there aren't enough editors to catch things like this. Either that, or they're too busy dreaming up their next "fact-filled" editorial of the virtues of gun control that they're too busy to notice.

Tragic for the victims. Prayers sent for their families and friends.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    A perfect example of why I too like you guys will and do carry everywhere and anywhere I can do so, legally.
    My wife gave me heck once a few years back for grabbing a gun and spare mag before headingoff to a dentist appt. She thought I was being "silly".

- Janq
    Silly? I'll take silly and ware it as a badge of honor.

My wife thinks I am paranoid.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Arg. You beat me to it. Isn't that a crazy thing to find in a text written by a professional? My English professor would have "terminated my life thus killing me dead and ending my existence" if I had written something like that.

The whole world is go nuts.

I don't even want to read the NY times with my coffee in the morning.

I to carry everywhere and anywhere i can.I know this is bad but sometimes i carry places that i probably should not, but i just feel like i am missing something when i am not packing..[/I]
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- Janq

Another reason to fear the Dentist's office
    I've no fear of dentist offices or any other common place, really.

I simply ask: what is it about a dental office complex that, in terms of crime, is so markedly safer than anywhere else? The answer is: there's little to no difference.

So. Be aware and prepared. Anytime ... anywhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Nothing more to add concerning carrying everywhere.

Last week I carried to the dentist. Yesterday to the doctor's office. No one knew but me, not the dental hygienist who had her hands in my mouth for 30 minutes, nor the doctor who had her hands all over my back and chest.

Wife thinks I'm paranoid, too. Just heard her muttering because I shut and locked the sliding door before I went to the back of the house to take a shower, while she was also in the back of the house doing something, far from the sliding door. No matter. I don't need a vote nor a quorum to do what is right and best and safe.

Carry everywhere legal. When able, avoid places where one cannot carry legally. Then carry other weapons if possible.

I emailed a lawyer yesterday to schedule a meet-and-greet. Told him I'd meet him in his office unless it's a "no-gun" zone. If that's the case, it's meet in a restaurant or I find another lawyer. I'm pretty sure lawyer offices are statistically more dangerous than dentist offices. He's a gun dude. He should expect me to carry. If he can't handle it... NEXT...

Anytime, anywhere, even when people call you paranoid and silly. We paranoid and silly ones will be the ones left standing when the smoke clears.

Hello Oxy,... yes, I have another Moron for you....
    "Deeds Not Words" - Motto of the USS Gettysburg
    NRA Life Member
    http://www.alioofficium.com/ (Personal Responsibility)

I have a dentist appt. next month. Guess ill be packin!

my dentist and i discuss firearms all the time. last time i went his receptionist came out of her little office to show me a 38 spec. with laser sights she carries. will get her attention next time with my 8 3/8 barrel smith.

I live in the same county and about 30 miles from where this happened but this is not my dentist. My FIRST thought was that if this had been during my last dentist's office visit, there wouldn't have been an hour long standoff with one dead and three(?) injured before the BG surrendered. The one thing that probably wouldn't have changed is the first victim but everything else would certainly have had a different outcome.

As a side note: two things jumped out at me from a recent post here on DC. One is that some people think I'm paranoid for carrying a gun. Hey, I'm carrying a gun, what the heck do I need to be paranoid for? The second is that I cannot save the entire world but I might be able to save myself and/or my family (emphasis mine).

I carry EVERYWHERE except the P.O. and the courthouse. Other than that, if I can't carry somewhere, then I don't go there. I am always ready to defend myself without being "hyped" about it. Had the folks in the dentist office felt the same this tragedy might not have happened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links