Ugly: Conn. Wife Pleaded for Life, Daughters' Safety Over Text Message

This is a discussion on Ugly: Conn. Wife Pleaded for Life, Daughters' Safety Over Text Message within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by ABCNews.com: Conn. Wife Pleaded for Life, Daughters' Safety Over Text Message Police: Alice Morrin Sent Several Text Messages Before Husband Killed Her ...

As reported by ABCNews.com:

Conn. Wife Pleaded for Life, Daughters' Safety Over Text Message
    Police: Alice Morrin Sent Several Text Messages Before Husband Killed Her

By SARAH NETTER
    July 2, 2009

In the end, the pleas for help came too late.

As Alice Morrin's husband roamed their Vernon, Conn., home, armed with a knife and gun, the mother of two was sending frantic text messages to a friend and placing a call to 911.

The Hartford Courant reported on a series of text messages Morrin, 43, sent to an unidentified friend late Sunday night begging for help.

"Jim just dragged me in our room put loaded gun to my head," read one of the messages. "Hurry please he would hear me on the phone. I talked him down."

She then texted of her concern for her daughters, Erica, 15, and Shannon, 9, who also were in the home.

Just before midnight a call came into 911 -- Morrin told dispatchers that her husband had a gun and she needed help. Her screaming could be heard in the background.

Two minutes later, the Courant reported, came her final text message : "What should I do if he hears me. I'm dead. God."

Police, who also received a 911 call from the friend Morin had been text messaging, sped to the house on Gerald Drive. But as the first responding officer approached the house, Vernon Police Lt. John Kelley told ABCNews.com, shots were fired. Then there was quiet.

Police broke into the house and found that James Morrin, 45, had shot his wife to death, and then turned the gun on himself, using a shotgun.

The couple's eldest daughter had escaped the house, Kelley said, and the younger daughter was found hiding in a bedroom.

Kelley confirmed that text messages were sent back and forth between Alice Morrin and a co-worker just prior to the shooting, but that Vernon police were not releasing their contents.

The Hartford Courant is a partner of Hartford's Fox affiliate, WTIC Fox61 News, where Alice Morrin worked.

Connecticut State Police were called in to help gather and document the evidence found at the scene.

Morrin's brother, Mike Mealy, described his little sister -- the youngest of six children -- as being "very independent."

"She was the best," he said. "In any situation, she would make it fun."

She was also highly thought of at her job where, according to the Courant, she recently left her position as an assignment editor to become an executive assistant to Richard Graziano, general manager for Fox 61 and publisher of the Hartford Courant.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with them and Alice's entire family," Graziano said in a statement. "Words cannot begin to describe what Alice meant to the Tribune family. She is an angel looking down on us and her daughters."

James Morrin was a project manager for the state Department of Transportation...

The full story can be found at; Alice Morrin, Connecticut Wife Sent Text Messages Until Death - ABC News

- Janq

Comments:
    Without any regard to the victims own personal choices prior to becoming a victim.
    Let it be known by all of us living that if you get a phone call or a text message or an e-mail or whatever kind of missive from a person indicating that they are in the immediate in mortal danger and/or those amongst them are in same...do not sit there and dialog with them about it. Do not text and twitter/tweet or what ever it's called back to them like you're discussing an episode of Oprah.

State back very simply; 'Understood. Dialing 911 now!'.
    Nothing more needs to be said or discussed, and rescue time wasted.
    If you don't know the persons exact location then tell the victim to inform you of as much pr to leave their cellphone active so that they might track them.

Further so that folks know...If you dial 911 and do not answer as in respond, they will still attempt to rescue you!!!
    They know and understand that at times speaking is not an option for sake of ones immediate survival. So dial 911, do not say a word, and leave the line open.
    The operator may ask you to hit a specific button such as Zero to indicate you can hear them and by that communicate with you on the QT requesting you to just hit keys so as to respond rather than speak.
    Also know not always can people physically speak when they dial 911 so they have this covered within their training.

Dial 911!!!
    Don't be texting and e-mailing people going on wasting valuable save a life time.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Beyond words - so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Further so that folks know...If you dial 911 and do not answer as in respond, they will still attempt to rescue you!!!
    They know and understand that at times speaking is not an option for sake of ones immediate survival. So dial 911, do not say a word, and leave the line open.
    The operator may ask you to hit a specific button such as Zero to indicate you can hear them and by that communicate with you on the QT requesting you to just hit keys so as to respond rather than speak.
    Also know not always can people physically speak when they dial 911 so they have this covered within their training.
    Too true. I remember when I was young and one of my toddler sisters got hold of the phone. We got a knock at the door and two officers showed up to check things out. Apparently she dialed 911, the operator could hear the breathing. The officers requested to enter the home and make sure that (my stepmother) wasn't answering the door in durress.

Once the LEOs realized the situation was as it appeared, they proceeded to lecture her about letting children play with the phone.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Sad story, awesome post and tips to add to our bag o' tricks for survival in various situations.

I have been giving some serious thought to getting more involved in teaching others self defense, not only physical aspects but also mental and emotional, and this would certainly be put in to the curriculum.

Thanks for posting this.

I always say that if someone wants to kill themselves and take others with them, that is fine with me but they need to start with themselves (lead by example).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Terrible... I hate reading this particular forum...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

That is so sad,.. As Janq said,.. CALL 911... I teach my kids to call 911 even if they cannot talk.. Call 911 and throw the phone under the bed,. They will fine you.. I found this out when I placed a 911 call to my local LEO for non-emergency and they gave me the address where I was before I had a chance get the address off the building.. That is a great thing and could have maybe saved her life..

The other thing is if she owned and was trained with her own personal defense tool.... Could have reversed the outcome possibly. To late for what what if's,. But it is a good thing for us to teach our children so this isn't them in the future..

Prayers for them kids for sure.. God be with them..

Tragic!...and pretty tough to stop.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sad , Hope the kids get the help they need :(
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

This is sad. On a side note ive read somewhere that if you dial 911 on a verizion phone your phone rings also. Might not be good in a situation like this. Can anyone confirm, deny?

Most unfortunate. Poor kids.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    This is sad. On a side note ive read somewhere that if you dial 911 on a verizion phone your phone rings also. Might not be good in a situation like this. Can anyone confirm, deny?
    How would that work?

If the person calling 911 has dialed and is on the phone how and why would their own phone in hand ring? The line is busy and in use.
    And why would such a 'feature' be thought of and developed?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I have no idea. I just read it somewhere. Ill see if i can find it.

Edit:Found a story on it. Not sure if this is the same one i originally read but youll get the idea.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stori...1f46e16ee.html

Links