BAD: Killer in my area...4 dead in one week

This is a discussion on BAD: Killer in my area...4 dead in one week within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is from today. No confirmation linking it to three others killed by the one man this past week. This is in our neck of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Killer in my area...4 dead in one week

This is from today. No confirmation linking it to three others killed by the one man this past week. This is in our neck of the woods and not all that far from us. The owner of Cash farms, a local peach farm is one of those killed. We often get peaches from this business. Very sad.

BREAKING: One Dead In Gaffney Shooting | WSPA

By Jonathan Carlson and Rob Landreth
    Published: July 2, 2009

Two people have been shot and one person is dead after a shooting in Gaffney Thursday night.

The shooting happened at Tyler Home Center, at 612 East Frederick St., Gaffney, around 7:30 Thursday night. Friends of the victims told News Channel 7’s Jonathan Carlson that the victims are a father and a daughter and the owner of the business was shot. But officials were withholding their names until family members were notified.

“It’s got us real frightened,“ said Tammy Phillips, a local resident. “To whoever is doing this killing we looking for you. The whole community is looking for you.“

Deputies do not know yet if the scene is related to the other murders in recent days, but the connection is being investigated. Meanwhile, around the county near the other homicides, people have been vigilant and on the watch for anything suspicious.

This, as local and federal law enforcement descended on the county in huge numbers to find out who is committing these murders.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Scary situation, I hope that the BG gets caught soon, before anyone else is hurt.

As we always say, unfortunately...... police are good at investigated murders after they occur, collecting evidence and trying to find the guilty. IF you want protection.... carry your own gun.

I would much rather read, BG committing murders in area attacks wrong person who has their CCL, and gets shot instead.

This is very unfortunate for the people in your area, My thoughts for your family and friends safety. I too know what it's like to have such tragic events happen in the area we live. I lived in Virginia when the BELTWAY SNIPER was at large, amazingly he too was caught by someone resting in a rest area. I hope for the same for the BG in your neighborhood. This is why we ccw now and I hope that I never have to use my firearm to take a life,but, will do in the right circumstances. Be safe and pray for the best. DiggerNMt....

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    That's horrible. I used to live in Woodruff, and still have family there. It's a beautiful place, but the crime rate is too high for someone born and raised in Vermont. When I lived there, it seemed like every day there was a new story on the news of someone having their house broken into while they were still there and were beaten and/or killed.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Very 'ugly' situation for sure. It can happen to anyone...any time...any place.
    Most situations like this make people say things like, "I can't believe it happened here."
    Crime and dirtbags roam this country looking for places to strike and easy targets. Seldom does one see these types of individuals hitting a police station...I wonder why?

Stay armed...encourage others to do so, too...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    A lady that works with my wife was good friends with the mother and daughter who were killed. The police aren't saying why they think all four murders are related. I hope someone stops this guy before anyone else gets killed.

Update: Serial killer has South Carolina residents on edge

The Associated Press: Serial killer has South Carolina residents on edge

GAFFNEY, S.C. (AP) — Terrified residents canceled Fourth of July plans and holed up in their homes Friday as investigators hunted a serial killer believed to have shot four people to death.

Tanya Phillips had been looking forward to a backyard barbecue at her brother's house but instead planned to stay home with her doors locked.

"I'm not taking any chances," said Phillips, 32, a mother of two who works in a day-care center. "I'll go out during the day, but not at night. I just don't feel safe."

Plenty of evidence links the killings, though officials have not yet determined how the victims are connected or if they knew whoever shot them, said Cherokee County Sheriff Bill Blanton.

"Yes, we have a serial killer," he said at a news conference in this rural community 50 miles south of Charlotte, N.C.

So far, all investigators have to go on is a sketch of a suspect and a description of a possible getaway vehicle, though police would not say who provided that information.

The latest victims were found in their family's small furniture and appliance shop near downtown Gaffney around closing time Thursday. Stephen Tyler, 45, was killed, and his 15-year-old daughter was shot and seriously injured. Tyler's wife, his older daughter and an employee found them in Tyler Home Center, County Coroner Dennis Fowler said.

A day earlier and about seven miles away, family members found the bodies of 83-year-old Hazel Linder and her 50-year-old daughter, Gena Linder Parker, bound and shot in Linder's home. Blanton would not say if Tyler and his daughter were also bound.

The killing spree began last Saturday about 10 miles from Tyler Home Center, where peach farmer Kline Cash, 63, was found shot in his living room. Blanton said the killer may have first spoken with Cash's wife about buying hay. She left and came home a few hours later to find her husband's body. Investigators said it appears he was robbed, but they have not determined if anything was taken in the other killings.

Cherokee County, home to about 54,000 people, had just six homicides in all of 2008, and half that the year before.

Residents have "their guard up and their gun handy," said state Sen. Harvey Peeler, R-Gaffney, who recalled the area being terrorized once before, in the 1960s, by a serial killer dubbed the Gaffney Strangler. Otherwise, Gaffney is most famous for a giant water tank shaped like a peach that can be seen from Interstate 85.

"There is no greater fear than the fear of the unknown and nobody knows. You can cut the tension with a knife," Peeler said. "People are locking their doors, even in broad daylight."

The Fourth of July is a busy weekend, with thousands of people expected to attend fireworks displays in several communities.

"You want to live a normal life," Phillips said as she stood outside a grocery store. "But you just can't."

Every available police officer will work the weekend, Blanton said, acknowledging that there is "real fear in the county." He urged people to take precautions such as going out in groups and calling 911 if their cars break down and they are stuck on the side of the road.

"If someone breaks into my house, I'm armed and ready," said Mike Daniels, 53, a retired Army sergeant. "And I won't hesitate to shoot first and ask questions later."

Hazel Smith, 47, said neighbors feel vulnerable.

"If he killed once, he'll kill again," she said sitting on the front porch with her friends. "Tonight, I'm going to stay inside and pray, pray a little harder that he gets caught."

The latest shootings happened less than a half-mile from the sheriff's office, where at least 30 investigators were already working on the case. Blanton said a profiler has suggested Tyler and his daughter might have been shot to taunt investigators, but he said his only concern is solving the case.

"We had a 15-year-old girl shot; he killed an 83-year-old woman," Blanton said. "The good people of this community don't deserve that."

The sheriff reminded people they have a right to protect themselves and advised salesmen and others to avoid knocking on strangers' doors with so many on heightened alert.

"People are going to start shooting at shadows," Blanton said.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

This is bad. Hope they catch him soon.

Here is an artist's sketch of what he looks like:

'Serial Killer' Sought In South Carolina:
    (CNN) -- The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office on Friday released a second sketch of a man believed to have fatally shot four people in less than a week near Gaffney, South Carolina.

"Let me say that, under the FBI's definition of a serial killer, yes, we have a serial killer," Sheriff Bill Blanton told reporters in Gaffney, a town in the county of about 54,000 residents some 50 miles southwest of Charlotte, North Carolina.

He would not detail what has led investigators to conclude the shootings are linked or how they received the description of the suspect that has led to the two sketches. In addition, he said he did not know whether the shooter knew his victims or whether he may have chosen them at random.

Police said he may be driving a light-gray or champagne tan 1991-1994 two-door Ford Explorer.

The first shooting happened Saturday, when peach farmer Kline W. Cash, 63, was found dead by his wife in their home, said Leigh Caldwell, a victims services coordinator for the sheriff's office.

Blanton said Cash's home may have been robbed.

On Wednesday, the bound and shot bodies of 83-year-old Hazel Linder and her 50-year-old daughter, Gena Linder Parker, were found in the mother's home, where she lived alone.

"We're still trying to determine if anything's missing from there," Blanton said.

Thursday night brought two more shooting victims -- 45-year-old Stephen Tyler was found shot dead and his 15-year-old daughter wounded in the family-run furniture and appliance store, Tyler Home Center, said Chief Rick Turner of the Gaffney Police Department.

He would not say whether the Tylers were bound.

The daughter remained hospitalized Friday, Caldwell said.

Leave has been canceled for all members of the Police Department and the Sheriff's Department, said their respective chiefs, who urged residents to take precautions.

About 100 investigators from North and South Carolina were working the case, Blanton said.

"I think our community has a right to be concerned," he said. "We're concerned. We're dealing with a man that's killed four people."

He urged residents to check on relatives, especially those who live alone. "We're asking the people in our community to be vigilant, to report anything."

But he cautioned against taking that too far. "Our concern is that people are going to start shooting at shadows," he said.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is why it's important to always carry, even at home.

I grew up in Northern Greenville county so this hits me sorta close to home too. Y'all keep your heads down and watch your six, you're in my prayers.

Four in one week!?!?!?!? There haven't been four in my area (Katy) in the last ten years!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    The Associated Press: Serial killer has South Carolina residents on edge

Residents have "their guard up and their gun handy," said state Sen. Harvey Peeler, R-Gaffney,

The sheriff reminded people they have a right to protect themselves

At least our Senator and Sheriff support our right to defend ourselves.

VTXDPM

Breaking News Update: 'Serial killer' claims fifth victim in South Carolina

'Serial killer' claims fifth victim in South Carolina - CNN.com

(CNN) -- A 15-year-old South Carolina girl who was shot earlier this week by a man authorities say fits the description of a serial killer has died, police said Saturday.

Abby Tyler died at 11:25 a.m. Saturday at Spartanburg Regional Medical Center, Chief Rick Turner of the Gaffney Police Department told reporters. The Her father, Stephen Tyler, 48, was pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting Thursday in the family-run furniture and appliance store, Tyler Home Center, in Gaffney.

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office on Friday released a second sketch of a man believed to have fatally shot five people in less than a week.

"Let me say that under the FBI's definition of a serial killer, yes, we have a serial killer," Sheriff Bill Blanton told reporters in Gaffney, a town in the county of about 54,000 residents some 50 miles southwest of Charlotte.

He would not detail what has led investigators to conclude the shootings are linked or how they received the description of the suspect that has led to the two sketches. In addition, he said he did not know whether the shooter knew his victims or whether he may have chosen them at random. Watch locals gather to pray for victims and killer »

Police said he may be driving a light-gray or champagne tan 1991-1994 two-door Ford Explorer.

The first shooting happened Saturday, when peach farmer Kline W. Cash, 63, was found dead by his wife in their home, said Leigh Caldwell, a victims services coordinator for the sheriff's office.

Blanton said Cash's home may have been robbed.

On Wednesday, the bound and shot bodies of 83-year-old Hazel Linder and her 50-year-old daughter, Gena Linder Parker, were found in the mother's home, where she lived alone.

"We're still trying to determine if anything's missing from there," Blanton said.

Leave has been canceled for all members of the Police Department and the Sheriff's Department, said their respective chiefs, who urged residents to take precautions.

About 100 investigators from North and South Carolina were working the case, Blanton said.

"I think our community has a right to be concerned," he said. "We're concerned. We're dealing with a man that's killed four people."

He urged residents to check on relatives, especially those who live alone. "We're asking the people in our community to be vigilant, to report anything."

But he cautioned against taking that too far. "Our concern is that people are going to start shooting at shadows," he said.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links